AC RC issue - general sound issues

Apparently the version mismatch is a typo. Kunos had forgotten to add 1.0.3 to the update pushed out earlier so we are on v1.0.5 but the update log in-game reports 1.0.4. So if you see 1.0.4 you actually have the latest version. Still doesn't fix the audio issues for me.

Will we ever get the awesome RC 1.0 sounds back? I thought I had mine back, but I haven't. Seen a couple of video's of RC 1.0 458GT external cam and it was so much better and truly awesome.
Completely agree. The sound was quite good with RC 1.0 and right now is worse than before RC 1.0.

I highly doubt that the issue is related with channels, most of the sound devices even the onboard ones support 64 channels.
Also 64 channels is perfectly fine to achieve (and should give) a decent sound quality with FMOD, for games more than 128 channels is just insane and senseless. I would like to know the max supported channels in AC.
We have to take in consideration the frequency, I would like to know what is the native AC sound frequency.

With my Xonar soundcard in Arma 3 with 128 channels I can hear every positional and directional sound with a perfect relation between my position and the sound itself, while in AC is like I was sitting on top of the engine with exhaust pipes in my ears.

No, I dont believe in channels theory, AC needs to improve the directional and positional sound also need to have a native 5.1 sound, the issue with FMOD in RC 1.0 was raised only for the users with 5.1 sound configuration, was working perfectly in Stereo configurations.

This needs to be cleared, FMOD supports 5.1. Until then maybe we can have restored FMOD with its full capablities in Stereo configurations.

Completely agree. The sound was quite good with RC 1.0 and right now is worse than before RC 1.0.

I highly doubt that the issue is related with channels, most of the sound devices even the onboard ones support 64 channels.
Also 64 channels is perfectly fine to achieve (and should give) a decent sound quality with FMOD, for games more than 128 channels is just insane and senseless. I would like to know the max supported channels in AC.
We have to take in consideration the frequency, I would like to know what is the native AC sound frequency.

With my Xonar soundcard in Arma 3 with 128 channels I can hear every positional and directional sound with a perfect relation between my position and the sound itself, while in AC is like I was sitting on top of the engine with exhaust pipes in my ears.

No, I dont believe in channels theory, AC needs to improve the directional and positional sound also need to have a nativefMa5.1 sound, the issue with FMOD in RC 1.0 was raised only for the users with 5.1 sound configuration, was working perfectly in Stereo configurations.

This needs to be cleared, FMOD supports 5.1. Until then maybe we can have restored FMOD with its full capablities in Stereo configurations.

It will help doing a little research, there seems to be a little misinformation starting to spread through this thread when it comes to channels. Here are 3 clues to look into

1. Channel matrix; Strereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc. (output)

2. Channel capability: Mostly used for recording and mix, how many tracks capable before mix down. Means nothing to consumer
3. Channel polyphony: Voices in a single sample, You see it mostly in keyboard and samplers 32,64,128 polyphony. Really probably won't hear difference in Sims.

Last edited:
It will help doing a little research, there seems to be a little misinformation starting to spread through this thread when it comes to channels. Here are 3 clues to look into

1. Channel matrix; Strereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc. (output)

2. Channel capability: Mostly used for recording and mix, how many tracks capable before mix down. Means nothing to consumer
3. Channel polyphony: Voices in a single sample, You see it mostly in keyboard and samplers 32,64,128 polyphony. Really probably won't hear difference in Sims.
I am missing the clue.

With FMOD and putting aside the effects and its configuration, let's speak about sound quality because it is what really matters for this number of channels subject, raised with the statement from AC dev about the update.

When programming FMOD API you have basically two parameters for sound quality, which are the sample rate or frequency (Hz) and the audio sources (channels).

Only as a matter of exemplification, let's say that you have your API set with 48,000 Hz and 128 channels for sound initialization.

Now from the user perspective, how can he deal with this?
For the sample rate (Hz) can be set in sound card parameters, even if these days most of the devices support values such 192.000 Hz, there will be no quality improvement (and there is no need) setting this value higher than 48.000 Hz because this the maximum that the input sound can provide.
For the channels (audio sources) the application (in this case AC) must provide a option for the settings (8,16,32,64,128) and here obviously changing the values will change the audio quality (higher = better). With most of the onboard cards setting this value higher than 64 wont bring any quality improvement just because the device do not support, however for those who have a sound card (like me) having the option for 128 channels will be highly apreciated.

Now let's say that you have set your API with 44,100 Hz and 32 channels for sound initialization. This is the max quality that the user will have and obviously this will be a poor sound quality.

That's why I said that I would like to know what is the max frequency and max channels in AC sound.

FMOD API have full support for 5.1 (and 7.1) assuming the sound engine where is being placed has the conditions. Also note that the options for Stereo or 5.1 are not directly related with the sound parameters for quality above referred.

Last edited:
Two different things going on here, sample channels is like keys on a piano, when you chose 8 instead 128, your just limiting the amount of sounds available for the triggers, like graphically no people in the stands.
It does not effect sound quality. I struggled with the interpretation but With out getting into alot of tech, 44 or 48 is fine. The sound quality problems is the engineered samples not your system or fmod.

Like I said, I do not believe that the AC sound issues are related with channel quantity (my statement is obviously related with the update announced that would allow to change these values).

The problems with AC are completly different and mainly are related with positional/directional sound and most likely due to a low number of samples.
Here we have two examples.
[Video removed]
This example is from AC, as we can see we have exactly the same sound inside and outside of the car, this is not ok. For obvious reasons the sound should not be the same. Also either outside or inside we do not have a slight perception about the sound position or direction, Its like the sound is centered. This is not ok.

[Video removed]
This example is from some other game, as we can see we have one type of sound inside and a completly different type outside, that's how it should be. Also the outside environment is extremely noisy, it's a mess, however even being a mess of sounds we can have a clear perception about its position and direction, that's how should be.

With this I am not saying the sound in "Sound 2" example is better or have better quality (in fact I think that the sound of the engine in AC is better), I am saying that's how should in matters of interior and exterior and also in matters of position and direction.

Last edited:
With 1.0.6 RC the sound is much better and I would not mind if was like this with final release.
I tried several cars (not all) and the sounds seems really better but above all, I got mine 12C GT3 RRROAARR back, inside and outside.
[Video removed]
Perfect.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years