AC owner - should I buy rF2? Relevant questions.

Hi
I saw there's a Steam sale at 50% so thinking of buying it. But have some questions. I'm not especially worried about spending €15, it's more the investment in time that it'll take to set up rF2 on my PC etc.

It's rF2's physics that interest me the most - that's the reason I'd like to buy it.

• I'm wondering what performance is like with rF2. I play AC a lot (on triples) and get 80 to 100 fps most of the time. How many fps could i expect to get in rF2? I have two gtx 780s in sli and an i7 4770k CPU, BTW.

• Is triple-screen support good? Or is it all distorted?

• Also, if I'm used to playing AC a lot, what am i likely to think of the graphics in rF2?

• I use a gamepad (due to an injury - I know it's better with a wheel). Is there vibration support for the gamepad in rF2?
Any answers would be much appreciated.

Hi
I saw there's a Steam sale at 50% so thinking of buying it. But have some questions. I'm not especially worried about spending €15, it's more the investment in time that it'll take to set up rF2 on my PC etc.

It's rF2's physics that interest me the most - that's the reason I'd like to buy it.

• I'm wondering what performance is like with rF2. I play AC a lot (on triples) and get 80 to 100 fps most of the time. How many fps could i expect to get in rF2? I have two gtx 780s in sli and an i7 4770k CPU, BTW.

• Is triple-screen support good? Or is it all distorted?

• Also, if I'm used to playing AC a lot, what am i likely to think of the graphics in rF2?

• I use a gamepad (due to an injury - I know it's better with a wheel). Is there vibration support for the gamepad in rF2?
Any answers would be much appreciated.

Since you're new to rFactor 2 let me start by saying I'm the head of Studio 397 and a big simracer, but obviously my opinion will be biased.

Physics wise I believe you will like rFactor 2, the general consensus is that we're quite good in that department. Obviously, with any simulation that is open to third party modding, the quality of those depends a lot on the skills and experience of those people, but there are some really nice ones out there and I would also recommend our stock content.

Graphics wise you have a few questions. Let me start with triple screen support. That is good, you can enable "multiview" and separately configure three monitors in terms of size, angle and eye distance so they render without any distortion. I will say you probably need to turn down detail a lot more than in AC to get your target framerates, and whilst we have been improving graphics fidelity we are not quite there yet. Our engine has to render a much wider set of conditions, from day to night, and from clear skies to heavy rain, with a "real road" that will render based on that and actual car movement. Such features mean we will always be heavier on the graphics side than AC, which only renders dry and day. Note that we are currently looking at improving our rendering performance on DX11, so things will get a bit better.

Gamepad is supported, vibration/rumble currently is not.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks a lot for your reply. The lack of gamepad vibration is a pity for me. But I'll be first in the queue to buy rf2 once I can use a wheel again.

I did come across this thread though that suggests there's a way of making a gamepad vibrate in rf2:
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/xbox360-rumble-effect.51730/

I once used a non-FFB wheel that only had vibration feedback and I can't say that it would have helped my driving, so I quickly turned it off. IMO you are not missing anything essential with no rumble support other than some fake effects. Even with an FFB wheel you don't get "vibration effects" in rF2, it's all based on real forces calculated from the physics.

I once used a non-FFB wheel that only had vibration feedback and I can't say that it would have helped my driving, so I quickly turned it off. IMO you are not missing anything essential with no rumble support other than some fake effects. Even with an FFB wheel you don't get "vibration effects" in rF2, it's all based on real forces calculated from the physics.

Seeing as you dont use a gamepad, you cant really be the judge whether vibration feedback is useful, eh?

It's certainly a nice thing to have, and while it wont make you faster... it's yet another method of feedback so you can feel what is going on.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back