Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
flyertc65.jpg

greenhellvln.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPT.COM TC65
Class: Fiat Abarth 1000TC & Jaguar MKII
Track: Nordschleife (VLN Layout)
Start Time: 19.00 GMT
Qualification: 30 min Note: It would take too long to qualify due to the length of the track and the fact that the first lap is an outlap (untimed). Therefor we will have a 30 minute qualification session before each race. Unlimited laps. I know that we will spend more time in qualy than racing, but the practice is needed on this track.
Race: 2 x 2 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: We will be using two skinpacks. One for the Jag, found HERE.
And the sprintpack for the Abarth, found HERE.
Note3: You must choose a different make of car for each race. The order in which you drive them will be assigned based on the order of sign-ups. Starting with the Jaaaaaag for myself, and alternating onwards down the list.

Well I'm obviously going to be siging up for this - wouldn't miss it for the world!

Although I've only really driven this track in the tourist layout, and normally in the capri as well. So this will be a nice departure for me lol

Well I'm obviously going to be siging up for this - wouldn't miss it for the world!

Although I've only really driven this track in the tourist layout, and normally in the capri as well. So this will be a nice departure for me lol

The Tourist layout is the one I drive on myself, but I noticed it didn't have a proper pit area, so I had to go with the VLN layout for the event.

BTW, did you see the first couple of posts in the thread?:wink:

Carlos - one thing for you to think about, regarding quali etc. (maybe not for this event, but possibly future ones).

On the VLN layout, there's a short cut back to the main S/F straight, just before you leave the GP circuit for the "full" Nords. You can warm your tyres up with a 2 minute lap around the GP circuit, and then go out and do a quali lap on the big feller.

That way you can keep a shorter quali so it's effectively a 1 lapper. Make it a 15 minute quali session, because you remove the whole 10 or so minute outlap thing.

That, incidentally, is how the TC65 lap record in an Abarth is about 1.56 for the VLN, and then the next quickest lap is a 10.44.

That's a very good piece of info there, Thommo. I will keep that in mind for next time (if there is a next time that is, this could be a disaster lol).

That's the main reason I didn't do a one lap qualy, I thought we would all have to do two laps of the entire thing to get a timed lap.

Yep - I didn't know about it either until Bram ran a one-off Saturday Abarth event back when the Nords first became available.

I'm afraid it slipped my mind until this morning when I read the Tourist vs VLN thing above, and then I went back to the session time bit again.

Of course I am in, don't want to miss this one :rolleyes: Car#63 Jag Mk11

I hope there will be a full grid so there will be some guys around, on your own it is a long way:frown:

Maybe a idea , with flag rules on is one mistake enough to get a "no timed lap", so is it possible to set it off?

The Tourist layout is the one I drive on myself, but I noticed it didn't have a proper pit area, so I had to go with the VLN layout for the event.

BTW, did you see the first couple of posts in the thread?:wink:

I noticed - I hope we get a nice full grid for this week and it will encourage people to compete again. good point about the shortcut Stu, might help us get some more laps in.

perhaps we could do 3 race laps, that way grid position would not be so important?

The problem with 3 race laps is that, on average, it takes about 10 minutes for these cars to complete a lap. That would make it a 30 minute race. Because this is a set of two single make races, I wanted to keep the races close to 20 minutes because as Warren said, this track has the potential to cause some lonely racing. I didn't want for some of us to have to drive for 30 minutes by ourselves. And this is even more probable with single make races. For example: Amir and Tom could be having a lovely battle one minute, then one of them spins, the other one gets away, and the chances of them meeting up again are slim if the one who got away doesn't mess up.

Also, regarding qualification...
Even with our 30 minute qualy session you would be lucky to get two timed laps in. Actualy, some of us might not get a timed lap at all if we spend too much time going back to the garage and setting the car up. I suggest that, if you have the time, you try and find a setup that works good before the event night. That way you can take advantage of the full 30 minutes of qualy time and get at least two timed laps in.
This could be helped by doing what Stu suggested and using the Sprint layout as a warmup and then going directly to a timed lap using the shortcut.

P.S. Boy, now I know why most staff avoid having events here lol.

Maybe a idea , with flag rules on is one mistake enough to get a "no timed lap", so is it possible to set it off?

You mean during qualy or during the race? During the race, even if you don't get a timed lap, you still retain your position.

That brings up a good question though, regarding S&G's. If we get a penalty for a bunch of cuts (easily possible on this track, and by mistake of course), what happens if we get the S&G during our 2nd/last lap? Do we still have to serve it or will we get a DQ if we don't? The game usually gives us a couple of laps to serve it, but I wonder what happens if we cross the finish line while still under the penalty. What are the rules when it comes to this?

Originally posted by Carlos Diaz
P.S. Boy, now I know why most staff avoid having events here lol.

You are absolutely correct Carlos, ( too many cooks etc.) I just drove it and I'd be closer to 40 min for 3 laps. I think thats a very good point Stuart and you make though about qualification, using the short cut too warm up tires and then just doing the 1lap. I am not sure about the S+G either...

I'm sticking to 30 minutes for the qualy because many of us might need more than one try to get a clean lap in. But it' still good to use the shortcut to maximize our timed laps within the 30 minute window.

Couple of things -

1. we can set flag rules to "off" on the server if you want to.
2. if you use the shortcut, make sure you stay on the inside (the right hand side as you approach), as people coming into the stadium will be moving fast (for the Jag & Abarth) and they get funnelled to the outside (left hand side) of the cones

You mean during qualy or during the race? During the race, even if you don't get a timed lap, you still retain your position.

That brings up a good question though, regarding S&G's. If we get a penalty for a bunch of cuts (easily possible on this track, and by mistake of course), what happens if we get the S&G during our 2nd/last lap? Do we still have to serve it or will we get a DQ if we don't? The game usually gives us a couple of laps to serve it, but I wonder what happens if we cross the finish line while still under the penalty. What are the rules when it comes to this?

I mean in quali,did 5 laps in the Jag not one timed lap because of slipofs,about S&G I did get one in a race in the last lap and no DQ, finest the race (prob.on last place,lol)

Can you sign me up as a maybe ?

(I try to skip my football training for this week. I'm hungry for racing.)
But I will try first this track this evening. I never ever can remember this track.
That's why I always avoided nordschleife events. After the karussel it's just a guessing-game for me :p

I did some laps yesterday in both cars. I enter a different state of mind on this track...such a thrill!

I was fearing the Jag would be a bit barge-like, but after some tweaking it was very playful.

Two widely different cars, but they were actually very similar in lap times.

Cant wait for tomorrows race!

Well put Knut, it brought to mind this quote by Ayrton Senna..."And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. "

I will use Jag #382, and Abrath # 34

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back