• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

"A race a day(?)" / March and beyond - your opinion counts!

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Björn, Feb 21, 2015.

1. H34d5h07

H34d5h07
    No money, no team racing.

Ratings:
    +348
    One thing I think could spice up R07 life a little, is live streaming. Last night I watched a little of that RDHCP (btw, is that GTL that is used?) and it was amazing to watch.

That was one of the reason I decided to sign up as a commentator.
    But before I did that, I had some plans, to put some commentary on a few races.
    Just for for fun, but still.

Why I haven't done it yet, is due to my space on my hdds.
    Atm, I'm running very low on it, but if there would big enough interest in it, I would simply make space for it. (it's kinda funny, one is 2 TB and one is 500 GB, and they both are almost full) Also, kinda afraid of pronouncing some names wrong.
    Hearing your name, get butchered can't be fun, especially from a Swedish guy.
    I know that I hate hearing other Swedish people speak English :laugh:

2. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Veteran member of the PC master race Premium

Ratings:
    +3,091
    If they don't want to run with low aids because they are too good for that, what's the harm in leaving the option clickable for those that do? Just a thought.
    I think I get the idea though. If you are using aids, get back to Grid, Dirt or some other arcade game. ;)

3. Björn

Björn
    Ävver et Hätz bliev he in Kölle

Ratings:
    +592
    Go for it! No problems with my name, I'd say :D

Also, I think I got some spare HDDs lying around, might check postage to sweden ;)

Nah, never said that :) However, the issue we're seeing is that some of those who don't "need" them might still use them and it'll (partly) be the same game again - "left in the dust". I'm not too sure on how much the aids actually do, so we might just try it. Fancy a specific car/track combo? We do have to get the first of the member request events up anyway (if no alternative comes up) ;)

4. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +3,091
    Yeah, Road America, GT Sport. Low aids to include low TC, Low ABS and low Stab. ;) 2 races, 2nd one reverse grid. Forced cockpit view only,

Any aliens found using the low aids are to be publically named, shamed and made fun of.

There you go. :)

• Haha Haha x 1
  5. H34d5h07

H34d5h07
    No money, no team racing.

Ratings:
    +348
    Aha, you didn't say anything about pit babes flashing their... assets.

6. EireGreen™

EireGreen™
    Premium

Ratings:
    +300
    I'm interested in an R07 Cup.For the first 12 races and that old Pointsystem and Rankinglist (10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1 & 1 Point for the fastest Lap).Every championship race, should start every 14 days (prefers a weekend day).And The championship let start in autumn use,because no one would participate in summer.

this is my proposal ! ;)

7. ajokay

ajokay
    Real-ish Racer

Ratings:
    +257
    Firstly, I fully understand the need to ask for people who use the servers to help pay towards the servers. I'm in the same situation and even with only 30 or so regular drivers racing once a week, it can be hard to pay for without donations from the others; let alone on RD which runs multiple servers for multiple games every day of the week for what must easily be over 100 people.

And I'm perfectly happy to pay €20 for a year, even if I only race once a week, that's 50 races with a group of friendly and mostly clean drivers. Considering other forms of entertainment such as maybe paying for cable TV, which can easily be €50 per month, I think what RD offer is good value for my money. Obviously not everyone is going to have the same point of view, and that's a decision they have to weigh up. But I understand and support RD's decision to do what they feel they needed to.

For me, Race Department is where I come for my casual, laid-back racing. For sure I'm going to try my best in each race and fight for position. I'm not going to give up a place for a faster driver just because I know they're faster, I'll still make them earn it. And there are several naturally fast drivers who race in these Race07 races. The likes of Arron and Reggie and Matheus. And I'm fine with never beating them. They're faster than me, so thats how it should be. When I do race I need to concentrate on trying to beat the likes of Bjorn who I know I have similar pace to in some cars, and set my own targets,

But because I run and race in my own league that takes up a lot of my time, I can only drop into races every now and again. I try to make the WTCC/STCC races as I'm a fan of FWD touring cars and usually go well in them. I try to make the minis if I can but Friday's aren't always best for me. And if a week rolls around where I'm not keen on the cars or the track or both (Porto, for example, or Muscle Cars) I don't race at all, because I know I won't have fun, so I stay away.

Moving to a race a day will surely allow for more variety. I hope that at the expense it doesn't thin out the grids, because that would be bad. Most of the RD races I've raced in have around 10 cars, which I see as a bottom limit. Any less and there's less chance you'll have a close race with someone.

Using all of the cars available in the base game and the packs would be good. the radicals are a lot of fun, the caterhams are good when you get the hang of them, the WTCC extremes are mad, the GT's require some finesse, the FBMW's can be chucked around, all the touring cars are brilliant, the Minis are easily the car that most people should be completely able to handle.

I'm not against using mod cars or tracks either. If they've been converted from some other game, so what? it's not like the racing is for profit, it's not like they're being illegally hosted or being sold on. They've been made to be used, and some of them are so old, surely it's all a bit irrelevant now anyway. Is anyone really going to get angry? I'm sure you'll agree Bjorn that that NFS Shift conversion of Bathurst for example is bloomin' brilliant fun.

Maybe bringing in some short championships would be a good idea though. Keep grid numbers up for several weeks in a row. Say for instance, starting at the beginning of March, you say "the next 4 weeks of Mini Fridays will be a 4 week championship", and at the end of the 4 weeks add up the totals, maybe have a single week dropped result to make it fairer for people who couldn't make all 4 weeks. But at least you'd have a lot more consistency, and maybe something a little extra to race for.

Then the next 4 weeks you say "ok, now STCC Tuesdays will be the championship", and everyone has to stay using a single car for those 4 weeks, no swapping cars to suit different tracks. Of course at the beginning of each mini championship, list the 4 tracks to be used up front so we all know what to expect.

As for driving aids. I've only ever know them to make you slower. Spinning out of the corners? Apply the throttle more gently and ease off the steering. Locking up into braking zones? ease the brakes on earlier. A slow, sure and steady lap will be much faster than an erratic overdriven one. I'm plenty guilty of that.

tl;dr: erm, yeah, s'all good. carry on!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nelson Ullinskey

Nelson Ullinskey
    Premium

Ratings:
    +841
    I first just want to say I am completely okay if we stay with the current scheme of of three races a week. When I renewed my premium for a full year, it had nothing to do with that being a requirement to race, I just wanted to donate because I fully support the awesome community here at RD.

When I saw this topic first posted, I began to gather my thoughts on the matter, and I have an idea as to what we should race each day.

Monday- Retro/Supercar/Whatever Day: This day would have no real pattern to it like the others, but it could range from stuff like the Camaro Cup, Radicals to Retro Minis or even the road cars that come with GTR Evo.

Tuesday- Touring Tuesday Car Day: WTCC (06' 07' 08' & 10'), next week STCC (08' & 10') and then a mod touring car the next week (This could be DTM, Super Touring, or BTCC to name a few).

Wednesday- GT Day: GT Club one week, GT Sport the next, GT Pro after that then a mod GT car the day afterwards (I know GT1 and GT3 mods exist out there).

Thursday- Formula Thursday: FBMW one week, Formula Master the next and then either F3000 or Formula Race Room (I care for neither, but I think the more variety the better). The fourth week would be mod week for this class (Champ Car, Formula One and GP2 are a few ideas)

Friday- Mini Friday: Keep this as it is, this is a great format we have at the moment.

Saturday (Every Other)- Enduro Saturduro: Run whatever car/track combination that would be fun for an 80 minute endurance race.

Obviously, some of these cars (GT Club, Minis, Retro Cool) are a tad slower than the others and not as fun on long tracks that would be good for touring cars or GT Pro cars, so I suggest running or shorter layout or a different track altogether for slower cars.

I don't think we need a mini league or series or anything of the sort. This is fun as it is. When it comes to drivers aids, I think we should allow them for those that want to use them. As ajokay points out, these do not make anyone faster, so I see no danger in letting people use them. If anything, this will help since some newcomers may be intimated by something like the GT Pro car.

Just my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em. I love sim racing and I love this community, so I will stick around no matter what happens :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Björn

Björn
    Ävver et Hätz bliev he in Kölle

Ratings:
    +592
    Whee, more input, and by two of those users whose feedback I'd still been waiting for :)

Our concern exactly - if this whole "7 days a week" thing doesn't work out, we'll gladly try to cut back on the events again, but for now this is the way RD will start off the premium-only mode :)
    Personally, I tend to agree - however, with RD offering news from both real and virtual motorsports, as well, it's likely not too good of an idea to get Codies, SMS or any other studio too mad at you regarding review copies etc. ;)
    Fully agreed ;) Also, I should put in some Adelaide laps.
    Yup, announcing events will likely change in some way, as well - we've come to announce a week's races in advance, but with 7 races, I guess it would clutter up the forum too much, so I guess a "schedule topic" for the next few weeks that gets updated might be the way to go.

@Nelson Ullinskey - thanks for the suggestions, seems nice and not too far away from what we're - spoiler alert - likely going for for next week's Mon-Fri as of now.
    As before, I'm not too sure about too much (car) mod content, but then again, there's still a bit of time left till the stock car content is cycled through. Speaking of which, WTCC Extreme might be one more class for the GT day? :)

As far as the mini series idea is concerned, it seems to be somewhat controversial, but from what I gather, the majority would kind of like it? Not too sure whether we can sort everything out to head-start it next week already, though :)

EDIT: oooooh, almost forgot - another change coming due to the premium move: There's now a public server hosted by RD in order to attract new members - no password, stock content, and it's packed already, so if you're looking for some quick action, there you go :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Re the Public:
    Our first race event began at 20:00 gmt today and as Bjorn said, it was full, and so was the second race! Third race is in quali right now.
    Here's how it looked
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty typical stuff for Pub's but both races were fun, hehehe! I ended up out in both races with punctures that I got all by myself.

Maybe once in a while we could storm our own public and force a good couple of races?

11. ajokay

ajokay
    Real-ish Racer

Ratings:
    +257
    I noticed that earlier. Might join in after dinner for some fun. Looks good.

You've also reminded me I really need to re-arrange my XD info boxes.

12. Nelson Ullinskey

Nelson Ullinskey
    Premium

Ratings:
    +841
    Certainly! Maybe even those production vehicles in GTR Evo as well? It's all about the variety.

13. Reggie Blain

Reggie Blain
    Premium

Ratings:
    +490
    Hi Guys, first of all i would like to thank Race Department and the staff members for all your hard work and commitment. I have always enjoy my racing here and i will becoming a premium member :)

As for the new system i am really happy to go with the flow on this and happy to race whatever events i can. Come April i will be away from RD for a few months as i will be working away from from home :(

The only thing i will say if you can keep some sort of record of the races people have done, even make one or two events a week a point scorning event were people can look back on there races. I think it will create more interest in the events and hopefully make for larger grids. Gives everybody something to work towards :)

I have all the faith in you guys and looking forward to the new Racing format

RD RULES!!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +3,091
    So guys, if some say (as they have done above) that using low aids makes you slower, whats the problem allowing the choice for those beginners and lesser skilled casual drop in racers that want to use them? ;) I'll keep on trying.........:) I only ever want to use low aids when using the faster more powerful cars and open wheelers like I do offline.

15. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Off topic for a moment....
    @Mid-pack Jack Thank you for posting that. You have just explained your problem with driving aids perfectly. The online racing world of Race 07 is probably 99.9% :confused: free from their use! It's no wonder you have a hard time, rotating back and forth between worlds that are so far apart. It's no wonder you have a hard time, rotating back and forth between worlds that are so far apart.The best thing you can do is to just drop all use of aids and get on with going without. That means never going back, soon you will see that you can drive without them, that your use of the wheel and pedals will get better. Hear is one thing that I know will help: change your sound levels for tire scrub and skid. Increase them both, a lot! I like the skid high and no squeal but start off with both. Turn down the volume on the engine noise. Do that and keep the aids off, soon you will be a better driver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +3,091
    @Dennis Phelan

I will not I'm afraid. I would rather carry on playing the game offline to be honest. Yes my loss, I understand that.
    I find the normal WTCC and STCC cars fine, but some of the other cars with massive power outputs, no, they are too difficult for me to learn and enjoy. Some of the open seaters and GT pro etc are way too sensitive for my liking. I want to have a race, I do not want to be tip toeing around becasue I don't have the natural talent that some of you have.
    It was merely an idea about increasing grid sizes. Forget I have mentioned it. But it galls me that most say they don't use them because it makes them slower, others say they don't mind anyone else using them but there is no choice.
    I am happy to stick with the status quo. Cya at Posnan later. :)

17. ajokay

ajokay
    Real-ish Racer

Ratings:
    +257
    @Mid-pack Jack I feel the same in some of the high powered cars Andy, there really squirrelly at speed and for that reason I tend to not turn up for those races. But anything that I can drive well, the touring cars and some of the GT cars, go for it! That's still 2 races a week currently, Tuesdays and Fridays.

I'd take mid/back of the pack in a race against real people with teamspeak chit chat over a silent AI win any day!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I have a time with the powerful cars but they're a good challenge and force me to know setups better. What do they say at that famous driving school, "Drive like there is an egg between the bottom of your foot and the pedals". :)

• Haha Haha x 1
  19. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +3,091
    Spot on. That's what I'll do most probably but I like to have a go at Assetto Corsa too sometimes. Many of the Club races in AC are GT class and they allow TC and ABS and I really like them.

20. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +3,091
    No enjoyment for me doing that Dennis. I don't do setups either. I drive the cars as they come. Just add or take off fuel. Ain't got the time for serious stuff.
    I am simple man. ;):sneaky::sneaky: