A question for you open-wheel gurus :)

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
I have recently been doing some laps with the totally excellent Formula Lights car from URD and was wondering if this car was raced with other makes of cars or if all the cars in a race had to all be the same etc...I have not heard of Formula Lights racing before but seeing as it comes in a road and oval versions then it could be an american thing.
What other cars should I be looking at putting on the grid with it (if any)?
Sorry for my ignorance in these matters :
Regards

It was a one make series that was a feeder series to Indycar, sorta like GP2. They raced only in North America, ovals and road/street courses. Im sure you could youtube for some races or footage. Great mod cars by the way.

James is correct, Indy Lights (aka Formula Lights) is a feeder series to IndyCar and they often run on the same weekend and same track as IndyCar. The cars are quite cool and racey, unfortunately the grids can be a bit small. They race on road courses and ovals. Here they are at Road America this past year (good mod version of this track is available).

And here's the last lap from the Indy race a few years ago, I was at this race and it was the most sensational finish I've ever seen.

Many thanks Brandon...great videos.
Yeah it's fast become my fave open wheeler to drive and certainly my fave mod car...I havent really taken much notice of open wheelers (Formula cars) up until now (the tech scares me lol) but this car is just such awesome fun to drive.
Regards

Many thanks Brandon...great videos.
Yeah it's fast become my fave open wheeler to drive and certainly my fave mod car...I havent really taken much notice of open wheelers (Formula cars) up until now (the tech scares me lol) but this car is just such awesome fun to drive.
Regards

I'm presuming you got the Formula Challenge car as well (they come as a package from URD). That is the proper IndyCar, the Detroit version is Chevy and the Suzuka version is Honda. They're quite good too, my favorite open-wheel cars in the game. They're fairly basic as far as open-wheelers go, no DRS or ERS or any of that stuff, just a turbo V6, four sticky tires, some wings, and you're off! I believe the mod is before they added the ridiculous aero kits too, which is a good thing IMO.

Too bad nobody has made a good mod of the Indy track(s) yet. :(

Ah excellent...yes I have the other 2 as well and I was going to ask about those too lol.
Was it Schumacher that did a bit of indy racing in the past as well as F1?...I seem to remember that someone did :
I also seem to remember something from Nascar oval racing that basically the cars are lop-sided because they only take left hand bends or something...is that the case with these oval cars?
Regards

You're probably thinking of Nigel Mansell, he won the F1 title in '92 and then promptly came across the pond to kick some ass and win the IndyCar title in '93. AFAIK Schumi never did any IndyCar, but interestingly enough he is the all-time leader in wins at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (5 wins, on the road course obviously). I was there for his first win, which is when I became a F1 fan. Saw him race there four times, he won two of the four.

You are right...it was Mansell I am thinking of.
I have been to see the racing, both cars and bikes, at the 2 circuits local to me...Brands Hatch and Silverstone...but it was many years ago...kinda lost track of it all though due to marriage, kids and work etc...but being a free man again I can now persue the more important things in life lol.
Regards

I'd love to visit those two tracks! I'm only 30 minutes from the Indy track so I go there quite often (went nearly a dozen times this year alone). They're actually a customer at my work and occasionally they hook me up with posters, tickets, and even pit passes. I've also seen IndyCar at Mid-Ohio and Kentucky Speedway, plan to go see them at Gateway oval this year and hopefully Road America too. I've seen F1 at Indy 4 times and once in Montreal. Love being at the track, the sights, sounds, and smells are intoxicating.

Agreed.
Well I just did a 10 lap practice with the formula lights at road america and pro assists...and managed a poor 2.03.019...but its my first time with this car/track combo so onwards and upwards as they say.
Regards

Either of you guys by chance have a link to find these Indy cars

Cheers
Rom
It's payware but these guys are legit. They've worked with Kunos, I believe they made the C7R we have in the game. I have the Formula Challenge, EGT, and T5 and they're all great. The Formula Challenge pack is pretty cheap, you get the IndyCars and the IndyLights car.

http://www.unitedracingdesign.net/shop

I have everything that URD has released...they are top notch mods...the only drawback I find is that I have to email them to get the updated models each time there is an update...but their response is usually very quick.
Regards

Nope never had one that I am aware of...every now and then I email to see if there is an update...especially for the PX pack...and they then send me the links....I thought it was strange that I had to do that...I will ask them next time I email them.
Regards

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 115 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing