A question about profile 6 frames 30mm and 40mm

I am going to be building my own racing frame this december.
The picture below is what I am looking at doing/building, I am wanting to know if anyone could help me in which profile size to go for, 30mm or 40mm square?

When I was doing the artwork, I noticed there is only a slight difference in height between the two, which isnt a real problem, giving I am happy to raise or lower the seat as required.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ;)
30mm_and_40mm_frames_by_adepenguin-d5cgtc1.jpg

Is one profile missing or will it be like that? It could create some imbalance in the rigidity.

I would go for the thicker one, in theory it should be more rigid due to more surface on another surface.

Cool stuff btw, i hope you let us follow you on this little journey ;)

Upvote 0
Cheers mate :)
Yeah I was thinking 40mm
(I will have to ask for it to be pre cut "damned if im gunna cut through 40mm again and again")
I was thinking along the lines of doing this (below picture)
I have been looking at the 135 and 45 degree bracket that frex do and with the large 90 degree bracket, I hope it would be strong enough and stable enough.

Although as this is the first time I will be making this sort of thing, I am open to hear from anyone who may know different.
I will be making it with the intentions of been able to use a standard office chair to start with (bucket seat will have to come later).

40mm_rig_by_adepenguin-d5chck3.jpg

40mm_rig_with_wood_by_adepenguin-d5chcqm.jpg

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Well i can honestly say i don´t know myself so whatever comes out of my mouth should be taken with a pinch of salt :)

Now that i see the brackets in place im sure you won´t have any form of rigidity problems lol.

Could you perhaps change the material to something less shiny? It´s easier to see all the details without reflections reflecting everything.
On some parts it wants to fool the brain into thinking it´s transparent :)

I really love how you went about with the pieces of wood and how they are fixed to the frame. Very nice :)

Upvote 0
I have changed the frame into pearl and added a few bits of hardware.
More then one screen at the moment are a long way off, so im happy to just use the one I have on a desk.
I want three screen setup, but there is no point buying 3 screens that run at 60hz its a waste, so im waiting till the 120hz drop in price.
sim_rig_in_pearl_by_adepenguin-d5chn0r.jpg

sim_rig_in_pearl_1_by_adepenguin-d5chn6y.jpg

Upvote 0
First of all i wanna say that this is a great design in terms of looks, appearence and sturdiness. But why bother with all the design and assembling of another cockpit, since 2 topics down there is a great solution from our Spanish friends? It will come much cheaper IMHO.

Upvote 0
I have found that Profile 6 at 30 x 30 is £8.38 meter and profile 8 40 x 40 is £12.78 a meter.
So I would find it cheaper to build it myself, as I only need 8 - 9 meters and then the parts.
I am looking at spending around/under £200 for the whole frame and parts.

Upvote 0
truly amazing setup.
I take it the two aluminium pieces running along the chassis are placeholders for the seats Aluminium "stand"?
Or is it possible to bolt the seat right onto those?

Completely amazing skills as well in how you incorporated the CST´s and the CSW, very nice.

Do you have any plans to sell this frame? I think many people would want to buy a setup like this as they are superior in moddability(yes invented that one)

Looks much better as well without the shine, thanks :)

Upvote 0
I have found that Profile 6 at 30 x 30 is £8.38 meter and profile 8 40 x 40 is £12.78 a meter.
So I would find it cheaper to build it myself, as I only need 8 - 9 meters and then the parts.
I am looking at spending around/under £200 for the whole frame and parts.

Thanx for the answer. May I ask what software do you use to draw these incredible sketches?

Upvote 0
truly amazing setup.
I take it the two aluminium pieces running along the chassis are placeholders for the seats Aluminium "stand"?
Or is it possible to bolt the seat right onto those?

Completely amazing skills as well in how you incorporated the CST´s and the CSW, very nice.

Do you have any plans to sell this frame? I think many people would want to buy a setup like this as they are superior in moddability(yes invented that one)

Looks much better as well without the shine, thanks :)

Yeah I am thinking that the slider for the seat will go on top of them, although Iam trying to think of a way to tilt the chair backwards safley.

I have no plans to sell it, but if it works and is safe, then I am happy to put up the measurements and where I bought the parts from so others can build it if they want.

That was my thought too Hampus, I wanted something that I could add too/change and allow me to lig out (as im 6f 3" tall)

Thanx for the answer. May I ask what software do you use to draw these incredible sketches?

Thanks mate, I use Bryce for all my artwork, It is a free software from... http://www.daz3d.com/

Upvote 0
Yeah I am thinking that the slider for the seat will go on top of them, although Iam trying to think of a way to tilt the chair backwards safley.

I have no plans to sell it, but if it works and is safe, then I am happy to put up the measurements and where I bought the parts from so others can build it if they want.
I think the titlting can be solved if the sliders allow for it, like these,
I don´t think you need those two aluminium pieces either as the ones below will do them same thing pretty much.
racing-seats_2224_903701

But then it depends on where the screws are on your seat.
Ok sounds good :)

Edit: but maybe i haven´t taken into account a certain needed height as the front seems pretty high.

Upvote 0
Great design and skills. I have thought about building something and concluded that I would probably go down the 30mm square wood and MDF route based on cost, 'moddabilty', repairability (i made that one!) and paintability. Oh and my 'lackofability'!

Anyway keep up the great work - onto my main reason for posting - seat tilting - I know the attraction is always towards bucket seats because they look the part - but have you considered looking at less glamorous, but far more affordable car seats? Unless your going full motion the bucket seat keeping you in place is not needed and getting in and out can become tiresome if your doing it a lot. Perhaps a more comfortable, more padded car seat might be a viable option - find a car that has height, lumbar and tilt as well as recline adjustable seats that fit the bill then a few phone calls to scrap yards or a look round on ebay might turn something useful up. Ideally you want a seat that has equally height runner mounts that are symetrical shapes/sizes too - it makes design of the mounts easier, although if your designing from scratch it really wouldn't matter.

Please keep posting with your progress, I'm always very interested to see how such projects develop.

Upvote 0
Cheers thanks for the "food for thought"
I was thinking of making something like this (picture below) so I can adjust it up/down and tilted.

But the tilt is a way off yet and I think I may change things as I go.

As far as the bucket seat goes, I would rather buy a new cheap bucket seat, as then I know where its been and whats been on it, (after watching top gears tests on second hand cars, I dont think I could bring myself to sit in a second hand seat) :O_o:
(plus I dont think the missus would even let one in the house lol)

tilting_frame_for_seat_by_adepenguin-d5cl8mv.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%