A monitor...

For about six years i used a Samsung ph2770hd monitor - 27 inch 60 hz @ 1920 x 1080.
I bought 600-700 euro GPU's, new CPU's, fancy OC motherboards...i did everything to satisfy my gaming adiction. With steam overlay and the FPS counter in the left upper corner about every game i played it was a steady 60hz (Except GTA V). But recently it felt like having bought a top receiver with crappy speakers. It was time for another monitor. So today i paid 800 euro's for a 27 inch monitor. Say what:O_o:?

Yep...a single monitor for 800 euro's and it is the Asus PG279Q. Nah....ur kidding me:confused:
No tripple screen, no ultrawide...just simple 27 inch.

Before i bought the monitor i mastered myself into the monitor world. Earlier days i would go to a store and told the guy: do me that monitor. Nowadays there are combinations of:
Size - resolution - hz - Gsync - Freesync - display type - brand - reviews which makes it all very difficult. I watched review video after review video. Also gamevideos how a single GTX980ti (my current GPU) would behave on such monitors. After my hyped decision i read forums and my hype was be burned down by backbleed, 144hz no cant see, Gsync too expensive etc etc etc.

Believing the hardcore FPS masters, you need 200hz at least on a TN panel. While simracing is also about speed and being very precise i thought, why not treating a racesim like a FPS?
Connected the monitor by DP1.2 cable and set the right resolution and hz: 2560 x 1440 x 144hz
By only the mouse movement i noticed the screen being faster...
I started all race games: R3E (ran at 180 frames - 144 max) / AC (ran at 160 frames - 144 max) / rF2 (ran at 70 frames).
I also played several other games: BF3, GTA V, Rocket League and Arma 3. There are a lot of other games i have to play but so far just for the first impression.

The problem is...i just can't tell u how good it is to me:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.
I notice the difference in hz. 60 vs 144 and once seen it you dont want to go back. But it is all what you are used to. 60hz will do fine for most but once you crossed the border and played 144hz you dont want to go backwards to 60hz.
So the whole package, Going from 1920-1080 --> 2560 x 1440 is very nice. Image is much sharper!
Going from 60hz to 144 hz...can't say anything about it. You need to experience it yourself. You either like it or not. Gsync or Freesync (very handy for GTA V) as it ran at 20 frames once i set the WQHD resolution. After i tuned down the MSAA from 8x to 2x i got frames between 45 - 55. Gsync kicks in and even being below 60 frames, the image stay smooth. Also something you need to experience.

So, in between the Accuforce wheels, Heusinkveld pedals, GTX 1080's, maybe it is also worth it looking at your current monitor setup. Its a shame having a Classé top receiver with Jamo speakers.

Bee out

I'd comparing the visual difference when moving up to 144mhz is like getting an upgrade to your graphics card. The difference is immediate. When you just run a 60mhz monitor you get used to the slightly choppy screen updates on fast onscreen objects and screen tearing. Jump on the 144mhz bandwagon and it's solved, everything becomes fluid.

I then realised that having a high-end GPU is mute unless you can actually see those extra frames on the screen. If your GPU can render above 60 FPS, a 60mhz monitor is holding it back, you don't get to experience the benefit.

Upvote 0
can a new powerful gpu cope with 144hz triple screens or is that too heavy?

To get a misunderstanding out of the way: Its not about 144hz alone! G-Sync (or for AMD Freesync) does the magic in keeping the image stutter free without any screen tearing.
Normally you enable Ingame V-sync to reduce tearing. But it also has a huge impact on the frames. So either cope with tearing and enjoy fast frames or no tearing with some stutters. G-Sync / Freesync makes sure you can game with the ingame V-sync disabled, enjoy the high frames without any tearing.

To answer ur question:
Depends on the resolution. Going from 1920x1080 --> 2560 x 1440 is a a big step in sharpness and the Aliasing is therefore less apparent and thus the AA settings can be lowered which will have a positive effect on the frames. But...going from tripple 1920x1080 = 6,2 milion pixels to 2560x1440 = 11 milion pixels is huge. I would think about SLI or even tripple GTX1080

Upvote 0
Indeed, no single card is powerful enough render triple screens with all the details maxed. Some titles are better optimised than others to start with, and then it's case of reducing the game's visual settings to balance out the performance. As that can vary significantly between games there's no absolute answer. So you can get away with getting consistent frames above 60 but not without a penalty to the visual fidelity.

4k gaming performance the next technical hurdle for the GPU makers, so it's a matter of a year or two before something powerful enough is available.

Upvote 0
Ok, just slightly offtopic now.
A few days ago I was visiting an aunt who bought a friggin HHHHUUUUUUGGGEEE television
(really the image of the newsreader is bigger than a real person, it's that huge)
Anyway I asked her if i could watch a youtubevid and searched for a touringcar race.
Wow, big cars, decent image quality, except when they fly by the camera in profile
the image 'stutters', it looks like the telly can't render itt fast enough.

So, cool, big telly but if I'm buying one, I wanna avoid that cause I like watching races and action movies :)
what aspect for that is important to pay attention to when looking at the technical specs?

thnx in advance

Upvote 0
A few days ago I was visiting an aunt who bought a friggin HHHHUUUUUUGGGEEE television
(really the image of the newsreader is bigger than a real person, it's that huge)
Anyway I asked her if i could watch a youtubevid and searched for a touringcar race.
Wow, big cars, decent image quality, except when they fly by the camera in profile

So, cool, big telly but if I'm buying one, I wanna avoid that cause I like watching races and action movies :)
what aspect for that is important to pay attention to when looking at the technical specs?

thnx in advance
I would like to help but i have no clue. Bought me girl a 4K Samsung 50 inch TV thing which she loves, i'll keep it with my 27 inch monitor:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

thnx in advance

Just like monitors, TV's have refresh rates too so that's what you need to check. Then further research the model through online for reviews. If it's for gaming too then low lag input is important.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years