A little bit of feedback on the Karts

I'm fine tuning the AI for the release patch and a little feedback on the kind of times people are able to do would help me.

I'm looking for direct drive laptimes only please at any of the layouts.

Thanks.

A couple of questions to Alex at Reiza please

1. Does the dedicated server work similar to Race07? Does It run as a separate program?

2. Does the dedicated server come with the game?

3. Can I run unlimited dedicated servers (hardware resource availability of course) or do I have to buy multiple copies of the game?

4. Can I run a dedicated server on one machine and the actual game on another? In other words with my copy of the game can I run multiple dedicated servers on different machines and still race the game on my home gaming PC?

Thanks in advance.

• Deleted member 166348

I just got back from a Karting session so i thought i would jump on the Karts in gsc2013 and give it a try to see how close it feels to the real thing.

The engine characteristics are good, the weight and the way the kart bounces over curbs are spot on, the grip feels good (im driving on enduro rubber so cant really compare), they look fantastic.

The only thing i am having an issue with is the lack of self correction forces in the steering when locking up the rears or giving too much throttle on exit or any oversteer situation. Forgive me as i do not know what the correct term is but all the other cars in gsc have this self correcting force and the one vehicle that i especially expected to have this behavior was the Kart so i am a little surprised it doesn't.

Come to think of it, i noticed the same issue with all the Kart mods in rfactor. Is it a real feel or isimotor2 issue or perhaps a g25 issue?

I played with these real feel settings but no change :
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=425.000000
SteeringDamper=15500.000000

Logitech profiler settings = I am using between 180 - 200 degree rotation on my g25 the usual profiler settings = overall effects strength 100, centering spring 0. etc...

Edit: Don't ask me how i discovered this XD, but if you drive the karts in to a stationary object while on a patch of grass and keep the throttle on, the front wheels spin along with the rear as if the kart is 4 wheel drive.

So theirs a little feedback on the Karts but otherwise the sim itself is amazing, the vehicles have a liveliness that even iracing doesn't match in my opinion. I take my hat off to you Reiza =)

[kart1]
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=340.000000
SteeringDamper=11500.000000
FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=100.000000
FrontGripEffect=0.200000
SmoothingLevel=0
Kf=10000.000000
Ks=4.000000
A=1.000000
Kr=8.000000
[kart2]
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=350.000000
SteeringDamper=11500.000000
FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=100.000000
FrontGripEffect=0.200000
SmoothingLevel=0
Kf=10000.000000
Ks=4.000000
A=1.000000
Kr=8.000000

These made a huge difference to handling. Unfortunately atm I'm so used to Kart Racing Pro that I'm strugling a bit with GSC karts. Compared to KRP GSC kart feels more slippery and understeery. Tho handling of the rear is a bit better with GSC, much easier to handle rear sliding. So unfortunately I don't think my lap times are comparable right now, I can beat about 90% ai on every track but that's it.

One of the big problems with steering wheels is that many of them have a 'deadzone' near the center where the forces are reduced. This seems to go for pretty much all fanatec / logitech type wheels. This helps them behave straight and steady instead of oscillate.

However using kart style steering lock, all your steering happens in this deadzone so FFB will always be reduced and feel pretty weak, and that is especially difficult because real karting is so heavy. At low speed you are not warned of excessive steering inputs in the sim, and round you can go. In real life this would generate a lot of instant feedback as you start steering.

Karts are a huge challenge to model and also to drive in simulators partly because of this.

Reiza, excellent work!:thumbsup:

Kart tracks of Granja Viana and Interlagos in my city :)
Fantastic tracks In Sim. The karts are addictive .. FFB may seem a little strange in the pitlane but in real life the kart is really hard. A 20 minute session is as tiring as in real life...

Granja Viana 1 (Direct Drive)
20 Laps
Average 46.5s
Best 45.9s

Interlagos 3 (Direct Drive)
40 Laps
Average 28.5s
Best 27.7s

I hope it is useful.

@alex: I've reducing 'head movement' to below 25% and am not experiencing motion sickness anymore, so thanks for the tip!
BTW:
FFB at pitlane-speed (below 30km/h) oscillates heavily. I feel sorry for my Momo-wheel, because it rattles and shakes like it could fall apart anytime :p. When speeding up (so above ca. 30km/h) FFB feels normal (=great).

My opinion about the karts, they drive pretty good.
To get more of a real kart feeling, I have put the center-spring on 60% in the Logitech menu (I have a G25).
As karts have a massive amount of self centering due to the way the front wheels are connected, as they are tilted backwards to the frame. They steer really heavy in real life, much heavier than most cars.

Braking could be better, it seems the kart is heavier than in real life.
Maybe some numbers are a bit fudged to get the proper handling.
But these karts brake quite bad, compared to the grip I "feel" in the corners.
Not much room for braking in to a corner and putting your backside in.
It's a bit all or nothing, everything in the middle is a bit useless (on CST's with a loadcell).
Maybe the compression of the engine is not counting as much as it could also.
Deceleration while braking should be a bit higher, in my opinion.

Also i see "toe in" available for the rear wheels, that's a bit odd as the rear wheels are both connected to a single fixed axle. So not much room for toe in, only ride height/width should be able to be adjusted.

Still very impressed by the handling made possible on the trusted gMotor platform.

Last edited:
Finally decided to try out the karts and i changed the rotation to 270 but it just made the karts wayyy too twitchy for me. So i just left it at what i use for everything else which is 430 and turned up the steering lock 2 degrees and it feels really nice. Looking forward to seeing if these things will evolve overtime or not as they are pretty addictive once you get everything setup nice.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%