PC2 A Frustrating Experience: The Project CARS 2 Review

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Review 4.jpg

RaceDepartment take the new Project CARS 2 game for a spin and share our experiences.

Now I have to say something in advance of writing this review, I want Project CARS 2 to be good. I really, really do. Sim racing is my passion, and to have another big player on the scene vying for my game time is a very exciting prospect, and something which I found myself getting increasingly excited about on the run up to release last month.

Frankly I was sceptical after being bitterly disappointed by the original Project CARS game, so it came as something of a surprise when I gradually found myself being reeled in by the relentless marketing push for the new title throughout the build up to a public release, especially all the noise the developers were making about how the game would push the boundaries of realism and "redefine the genre of sim racing". These are all things that grab my attention, massively.

On face value many of the boxes one would like to see ticked prior to getting out on track have a resounding big fat happy smiley face next to them - loads of cars? Check. Loads of tracks? Check. VR support? Check. Dynamic weather and time of day? Check. These things are all good. These things give the game a massive leg up over the competition before a wheel has even been turned. Unfortunately turning said wheel is when things start to go a little bit wrong for Project CARS 2, and that is where the disappointment and frustration start to creep in to the experience, massively.

Project CARS 2 Review 2.jpg

Now I'm no technical expert but I've been around a while, and mixing together my own experiences and using the help of our community and my good friend Mr. Google, after literally hours of tinkering and a download of the epic Jack Spade tweaker file later I managed to get a pretty decent setup going through my wheel (Fanatec CSW V2). This is a massive improvement over the original title, however you still have to work to damn hard to get under the skin of the game to find something half reasonable in the force feedback, which frankly is a shame and unnecessary. Why after all the discussion and criticism from the community levelled at the developers following the original PCARS release do we still have to download a community made file to get the FFB half decent is beyond me, and something that SMS should really consider as a bit of an own goal once all the initial fuss has died down following game release.

Now don't get me wrong, I still don't think I'm fully in the sweet spot for the force feedback despite my trials and tribulations getting things setup, and the rear of the car still feels too vague for me to confidently begin to push past the outer edge of performance, but in comparison to the original release the overall experience is much better and doesn't kill off the game before it even starts. Not at the level of the other sim racing titles out on the market today, but definitely a decent base from which to build upon.

Project CARS 2 Review 5.jpg

So lets break down our impressions into a few key areas of the title:

UI - Vastly improved over the cluster of mess that was Project CARS. Looks neat, professional and functional. I find flicking through to the different menus easy and straight forward, but still keeping that stylish Project CARS feel and vibe. For me this is one of the most impressive improvements over the original game, and possibly the best UI of any of the sim racing titles currently available. Nice background music too and the bits of Ben Collins speaking about Senna are a nice touch, although these could maybe get a bit tiresome after a few hours of continual play.

Weather - Visually very impressive and aquaplaning is a thoroughly enjoyable extra dimension. Perhaps more grip than I would expect as my track experiences suggest more throttle steer and better modulation of the loud pedal out of corners would be needed than is currently simulated, however overall despite the limitations in some areas weather in PC2 is an area where the game stands out above its rivals. Some gripes I do have with it are when you get to the randomisation element of this feature, as basically selecting random weather means over 90% of the time you can expect some level of wetness, which is a shame as I would have liked to see more variety in the mix, such as dry running for a number of sessions then maybe a shower at the end of the race or something. Having tested almost 20 race weekends with random weather, I've had rain or snow during at least one session on every occasion...

Project CARS 2 Review.jpg

Speaking of snow, lets be honest now, this is a gimmick and one that any serious sim racer will rarely use in a race setting. Strangely this cannot be removed from the weather randomiser, so you could get seriously annoyed when it pops up in a race weekend and spoils all the fun. This really does need to be addressed, as who wants to race GT3's at Brands Hatch in the snow anyway?

AI - A total and utter disaster. Period. How in the name of all that is sacred did this get past QA I will never know. The AI is simply awful. First corner crashes, no awareness and ridiculously slow wet driving are all regular occurrences that continually pop up to hurt the soul. One evening I endeavoured to do a race weekend at the Nurburgring in a Lamborghini GT3, a car and track combination I hadn't yet tried. At 105% difficulty with a default setup and no fuel removed I finished my 15 minute practice in P23, 1.6 seconds off the pace. This was good, I had some more pace to give in the limited time I had on track, but that is exactly where I wanted to be and I was a happy boy. Maybe another 3 tenths could've been won if I didn't keep crossing up in the chicane, but that was fine. Come my 10 minute qualifying and hey, random weather so time for rain. Ran two laps, put it on pole by 1.6 seconds. Parked it, remained on pole. Hmm.

Race day comes around and the rain has progressed to a thunderstorm (random weather rain strikes again). Get a good launch off the rolling start and by lap 3 I have 45 seconds of lead, without even pushing the car at all. ESC and back to menu. Little grey X button in the top right hand corner, shut down PC, walk away and mash a cup of tea. Not impressed. Sadly this is the case every time some rain falls, and let us be honest, I'm no Michael Schumacher in the rain. Something is wrong, very wrong indeed.

Project CARS 2 Review 5.jpg

Car selection - Excellent. Some really nice cars and a lovely mix of the old and new are included, giving pretty much everyone the opportunity to have a go in something they might enjoy. All the big brands are present, so Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes or whatever takes your fancy can be fired up and raced around the many tracks in the game. A nice nod towards official series such as IndyCar are also welcomed, however the lack of real drivers despite the series licence and liveries grinds a bit, and kinda spoils it for me. Regardless of that little bugbear, you can't really fault the choice of cars in game, and all seem to be of solid quality and look wonderful from inside the cockpit using VR. Very happy.

Tracks - Again plenty to choose from, however for me the quality varies massively between different circuit selections. Some of them are just downright bad, both the visuals and accuracy, leaving a bit of a hit and miss feel to the whole game and giving one the impression that quite a few have been thrown in just to bump up the numbers, rather than striving to match the quality level expected of a game of this level.

Quality variances aside, it is nice to see that all the different weather options can be used on all the circuits, and that the game doesn't artificially limit what cars can be used on which circuit. Red Bull Ring in snow driving a WRX? No worries, the option is open for you to try. IndyCar at Knockhill? Go for it. Quite a cool thing to see and something I'm pleased about, if only for the novelty value of trying out weird combinations you would never see in real life.

Summary - Now I started writing this review very soon after the game released (about a week or so after) and I've parked it until now, half finished, as I wanted to give a bit of space for the developers to patch up some things and get it firing on all cylinders. We've had two patches so far, and still the AI is a joke. Wet weather is pointless against the computer opponents, and the dry weather awareness of where I am relative to the opposition is still poor. Not PCARS 1 bad, but for me at least still not close to the big hitters in the sim racing world. Over a month from launch day, I would expect this to be rectified and frankly I'm shocked it hasn't been addressed yet, making it very hard for me to want to invest any serious time in the sim. Assetto Corsa took a long time to get offline right, but that wasn't too much of a pain as the online stability was pretty rock solid, and more importantly the actual experience of driving the car was first rate, making hot lapping and just simply enjoying the driving experience of the different cars a pleasure, sadly for me at least PCARS 2 doesn't give the same level of driving thrill, it just feels canned and not really an "organic" driving experience. Open up your mind a little and AC or rF2 etc can feel like driving the real thing, PCARS 2 feels like a game. In my experience at least..

Moving to the online portion of the title is where my experience very dramatically drops off, as the events I've ventured into have all pretty much ended in various levels of frustration and disaster. Netcode has been poor at best, with plenty of lagging and cars floating or spawning at random all over the place. I suspect this has been improved since my last try, but frankly I've not got enough inclination to fire it up and have another bash, so this element of the sim will have to wait a while until further updates are released to entice me back to the game again.

Project CARS 2 Review 3.jpg

Now I'm aware that my opinions are probably going to be quite polarising in the community and probably come across a bit harsh, this isn't intended and saddens me to write them. I really, really, really wanted this to be good, and honestly the basics are in place for a very solid racing game. What has probably caused me the biggest disappointment is how I fell for the hype once again, having been promised something that would blow me away and having eventually just sat through what was eventually a light breeze. It feels like I've been promised the best Ferrari in the world, and eventually had a top of the range Fiat Punto delivered. Nothing wrong with the Punto, actually its a rather nice car, but when one expected a brand new 700bhp Ferrari on the drive and looking out over a nearly new Punto just fills you full of disappointment at what could of been.

Project CARS 2 claimed to be "redefining the genre of sim racing" prior to release, and having sunk plenty of hours into getting under the skin of the new title I can say one thing for sure: despite having quite a few compelling positives if you look hard enough at the game, if this is the new definition of sim racing then I'm not entirely sure I want to stick around for much longer.

Last edited:
Did any of you listen to the question and answer session Ian did on YouTube? I think the first one was 4 hours and the second one 7 hours explaining what went wrong in pcars 1 and what the plans are for pcars 2. He was open and honest about the various issues and what they were going to do about them. Have any of you been on the official forum and checked out what the devs are posting, explaining technical things about the tyres, cars etc and yet you play a few races and decide it's ****.
It is Sh*t right now, just like the first one. On the console, you can't even run multiplayer. (Not that console players matter to anyone, especially SMS).

When I saw Nicholas Hamilton at COTA, I was like :devilish:. I know what racing feels like, but apparently "the Stig" and Lewis Hamilton's brother do not. The open wheel cars in PC2 are pathetic. At least beta test the physics if you are going to hype them as the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:
@Paul Jeffrey thank you for this review, I am one of those who decided to wait, you know, foul me once etc ....
Your review in addition to other report I have read from trusted source, made it that I have the feeling my wait is over. It is not going to happen.
Maybe if I was into watching sunset on the track side or racing on snow, it would be different, but I am into driving. I already have AC and RF2, so I don’t need an improved PCars, no matter how improved, if it is not improved to my favourite SIMs level. Probably a great racing game if one is into this sort of things and a must get if you are on console. I am on PC and just in it for the simulation so this not for me. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am personally glad there is more than one Sim out there to satisfy my Driving / Racing needs...none of them are perfect in my eyes so I just jump into each of them firing up my personal favorite car and track combos and transport myself into another FFB / Audio and Visual dimension....and pCARS 2 is just another Sim in my collection.
With pCARS 2 in mind...'The needs of the many, out weight the needs of the few'...

Great another RD review thread so we can listen to people complain and argue about opinions.
The other 2 threads with 40 + plus pages of jibberish wasnt enough we had to start 3rd?
Sorry to hear about your struggles with the ffb i havent had any issues with the stock flavours and have found the immersive setting to feel great on my Thrustmaster Tx to the point I havent played any of my other sims for mor than 5 mins.
Surprised about the canned effects comment, especially when you compared it to AC which has several ex. Slip angle effect.
Personally I thought the driving experience felt very natural.
If my RL wheel rattled and shaked as much as the default TX wheel setting in AC id be concerned about suspension damage or a wheel about to come off lol

I agree with some of your points regarding tracks and ai.

At least you got AC that your happy with.
Play what you like, if you dont like it....refund it.
Takes less time and effort than writing a big review of how your dissapointed by it ;)

Apologizes for the negativity but it just seems the majority of RD have a hate on for this title and enjoy beating on the dead the horse....which gets tiresome after a while

Give me a freakin' break! The thought ever cross your mind that this site isn't just filled with PC2 haters.....but a huge group of people who play around on ALL the sims? They have other sims to compare PC2 too. I haven't had much time on PC2 yet ( about 5 hours )....and I just so happen to feel exactly the way Paul does. And I drive ALL the sims! I'm not biased towards any single sim out there....but I know damn well , what feels "right" and what feels " a little off". I don't post here all that much , but you sure come off like either a fan boy , or someone paid by SMS. Just sayin'....

• Deleted member 197115

Great, spot on review. Thanks Paul.
Surprised you didn't mention graphics with crawling pixels and shimmering artifacts.On some tracks visuals are just downright awful, not even NFS Shift level.
And the visual appeal was one of the biggest selling points for the title.
Honestly, I much prefer cleanness and crispiness of AC over that blinking mess with smeared details just few feet away.

I don't post here all that much , but you sure come off like either a fan boy , or someone paidby SMS...Just Sayin'...

I ve been told many times in my day that I am an insensitive prick that doesn't care much for other peoples opinions and that i am a bit too honest with my responses......but yet to be called a paid SMS fanboy lol

I own and play all the sims aswell and enjoy each for different aspects.

F.Y.I am actually a tester for another racing sim ;)
But thanks for your .02 it truely gave me a good laugh :)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

In contrary others titles, Slyghtly Mad Studios have to begin the devlopment of Pcars 3 (My opinion). They adopt a comercial strategy like Apple. Not a long term devlopment but a sheldure for the next opus. Sorry for my very bad english.
Their next title is "Fast and Furious", not a joke, btw.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/09/20/fast-furious-game-teased-slightly-mad-studios/
I don't think they could carry on their shoulders two racing games at the same time.
It actually could be a better fit for the studio, just IMHO.

Opinions aside, I think the review lacked detail and depth.
  • Tracks: Which ones look good? What’s wrong with the poorly executed tracks, scenery?
  • Handling: Can you feel the handling difference between cold and hot tires? Low and high tire pressures? What are these 3rd party files you used and what do they do?
  • Campaign: How is it structured? What stands out?
  • FFB: How do the bumpers feel, dips in the road, evaluation changes? How did you dial in your Fanatec to get the most out of the FFB? Do you have another wheel to try on it?
I’m left with more questions than answers from your review, and after you said you sat on it for a month, I’m surprised you haven’t explained more.

All that said, thank you for sharing.

Personally, I picked up on the hype early and will wait for a +50% Steam sale when more bugs are ironed out. After testing PCARS I never bothered to purchase it, didn’t seem worth my time. I may just grab PCARS2 for the VR weather effects to share with friends and some beers.

This made me lol! This review is written by an ac fanboy "I really really really wanted it to be good" no you didn't, you're just going along with the rest of the snobby Simracing sheep on this site. Assetto Corsa only took 4 years to get the AI up to some sort of standard yet you expect pcars ai to be sorted in a month!
Yes Assetto took 4 years to get AI sorted. But are you expecting pCars 2 to be developed 4 years from now? Or even 1 years? Nope, SMS will be working on their next game.

Considering they already had AI code from the first game as basis to build on, and this is the progress they made in 2 years... It looks bad.

Also, isn't RD more biased towards AMS than AC. Don't know about Paul but often feel like RD means ReizaDepartment. Not that Automobilista is bad, great sim while I personally like AC just as much.

Last edited:
I ve been told many times in my day that I am an insensitive prick that doesn't care much for other peoples opinions and that i am a bit too honest with my responses......but yet to be called a paid SMS fanboy lol

I own and play all the sims aswell and enjoy each for different aspects.

F.Y.I am actually a tester for another racing sim ;)
But thanks for your .02 it truely gave me a good laugh :)

Well cool. At least you admit you're biased towards another sim , good on you. And your opinion on PC2 would be in the minority I think. Even though it's light years ahead of PC1....I don't think it's up to the full potential as some other sims such as AMS , RF2 , AC , Iracing or RRE. But....I do find myself enjoying PC2 a lot better than PC1 , which was total garbage in my opinion. And I'll admit , I still have some more driving / testing to do in PC2 , so I'm hopeful. The one thing that bugs me the most is the Ai.....probably the worst since Mario Kart. The sim has some huge pluses , but the minus , such as the Ai hold this title back. On top of something else that I can't quite put my finger on......it just still has that " dead feeling " going on.

Great, spot on review. Thanks Paul.
Surprised you didn't mention graphics with crawling pixels and shimmering artifacts.On some tracks visuals are just downright awful, not even NFS Shift level.
And the visual appeal was one of the biggest selling points for the title.
Honestly, I much prefer cleanness and crispiness of AC over that blinking mess with smeared details just few feet away.
I assume you must be running the game on low settings or something because it really doesn't look this bad on my PC.

Opinions aside, I think the review lacked detail and depth.
  • Tracks: Which ones look good? What’s wrong with the poorly executed tracks, scenery
You get pillared in here for mentioning pCars Spa imo looks same map as original GPL with the roller coaster for Malmedy Chicane
Thing is people that used GPL nigh' 20 years ago knew it was wrong then some developer with big staff trot that crap out not once but twice !

rF2 Belgium has more detail in the house driveways

I got pulled up for suggesting they remove 2 out of every 5 road posts
at least attempt to get it realistic

Another is go around Belgium in Historic rF2 and see how long you last running over posts, now try same in pCars2 you see there is no dynamics whatsoever, run over 10 post in a row you feel nothing, everything is static and lifeless.

Anyone driven rF2 at Belgium knows a post under the car can lift wheels off the deck and easy crash you so you are careful not to hit them.

So every time you bring up valid points like that you get rubbished
So why bother :)

Anyone follow the major sim racing youtubers in the lead up to PC2 release? GamerMuscle, Jimmy Broadbent, SimRacing604 (I thnk), Sim Racing Paddock, ISR, DigiProst. I think quite a few of them are still making PC2 videos and enjoying the game as I understand it.

These guys generally know sim games. They generally were very positive about the game. Did they get it wrong? Did they overplay the positivity being overly kind? Watching these youtubers you would think PC2 is a very legitimate sim. I think SimRacing604 ranked it third out of 9 major sim titles with R3E lower than it - and this was ranked for physics and handling.

Reading the comments here you'd think the games was another PC1 debacle and not a worthy sim title.

But I can't square with that with the Youtubers who I've come to respect and who I feel know what makes a good sim and good physics, handling, and ffb.

Did any of you listen to the question and answer session Ian did on YouTube? I think the first one was 4 hours and the second one 7 hours explaining what went wrong in pcars 1 and what the plans are for pcars 2.

Talking about dildos and shagging your mother in the first 5 minutes of the video is off-putting enough that the tone for the rest of the video was clear. Being loud and obnoxious doesnt suddenly mean that he is a man of the people that only speaks the truth.

He was open and honest about the various issues and what they were going to do about them.

Like saying that PC2 is a more advanced simulation than even the Mercedes F1 simulator?

Yeah... lol

Have any of you been on the official forum and checked out what the devs are posting, explaining technical things about the tyres, cars etc and yet you play a few races and decide it's ****.

Perhaps you just choose to ignore that people can try something for themselves and form their own opinions with the issues a specific game has. And PC2 certainly is no stranger to issues.

There hasnt been one that hasnt frustrated me, been bug free, finnished or polished at release so i am not sure why people expected this one to be any different......and why are some comparing it to titles that have been out for yrs and have recieved dozens of patches ?

I think the community is still jaded from the PC1 hype machine that SMS created with their literal paid shills tactics.

This isnt something that has any chance of blowing over given how SMS likes to operate.

Anyone follow the major sim racing youtubers in the lead up to PC2 release? GamerMuscle, Jimmy Broadbent, SimRacing604 (I thnk), Sim Racing Paddock, ISR, DigiProst. I think quite a few of them are still making PC2 videos and enjoying the game as I understand it.

These guys generally know sim games. They generally were very positive about the game. Did they get it wrong? Did they overplay the positivity being overly kind? Watching these youtubers you would think PC2 is a very legitimate sim. I think SimRacing604 ranked it third out of 9 major sim titles with R3E lower than it - and this was ranked for physics and handling.

Reading the comments here you'd think the games was another PC1 debacle and not a worthy sim title.

But I can't square with that with the Youtubers who I've come to respect and who I feel know what makes a good sim and good physics, handling, and ffb.

Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks the only way to know is to try it for yourself (besides, you have no idea how many of those guys are being paid by SMS - and yes, payola does happen in the gaming world). Personally, I have no interest in anything SMS produces because of the pCars 1 mess. But that being said, you really need to form your own opinion.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 361 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%