1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

A Commentary on the Future of Racing Sims

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by RaceDepartment, Dec 6, 2013.

1. RaceDepartment

RaceDepartment
    Administrator Staff

Austin Ogonoski submitted a new guest post:

A Commentary on the Future of Racing Sims

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

Its a brilliant read and well written,
    thank you.

3. Good one! +1

4. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Yes, well written and the views are well presented and supported. Excellent article. :thumbsup:

Sometimes I get the impression here that people forget that the vast majority of us are here to have FUN, whether that is on-line or just off-line racing. In the end, people will buy (or stick with) whatever Racing title gives them enjoyment. It's our hobby, not training for professional racing careers. (yes, I know there are a very few exceptions :p).

Some of us here even get our enjoyment from racing with fellow community members, not stressing over how delicately fine-tuned the physics might be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

I loved the comparison with real guitar and guitar video games.

I play guitar, (I like to think quite well ;D) and I am absolutely terrible at those guitar games! They don't replicate playing a guitar at all. Just a bit of fun really.

I love Assetto Corsa so far, I absolutely love it!
    The first time I played it, it was difficult, as i wasn't used to the handling model, but once you get to grips with it, driving the car just becomes second nature, and it's enjoyable!

6. Really enjoyed this article - great read. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I hope all of the racing sims mentioned in this article come to fruition soon because it feels like we've been waiting a long time. But it will be worth the wait!

7. Amazing

8. Sk3ptik0n

Sk3ptik0n
    Premium Member

Very good article. I have been saying the same thing for years now.

9. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN
    Touring car fanatic Premium Member

Excellent read!

10. Thank you! I've been saying this for a while, GPL has colored everyone's perception of what a "sim" should be for too long... luckily it looks like this is finally ending!

11. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium Member

Brilliant

12. Great Article - well done!

13. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen
    #4 2KF1 Racing RDGPC|LoL/RL Caster@AussieGamingTV Premium Member

great article

14. "All four developers involved in creating the new breed of racing sims must realize that qualified opinions are more important than the majority’s opinion. It would be incredibly counter-productive to listen to the complaints of users who are continuously 3-5 seconds off pace and can’t push the game to its limits, or users who aren’t old enough to legally drive a passenger car, while someone with legitimate racing or track day experience is ignored or driven away by the community" +1000 to that !!!
    Its extremely ridiculous to me everytime seeing all those off pace racer who play with easier difficulty + many driving assist complaining about this or that physic are wrong .. they just dont know they actually are not qualify at all to sound about that.

15. Bernd Graf

Bernd Graf
    Premium Member

This part right here

"The simplest way to accomplish this is to agree that a simulation shouldn’t have any sort of “artificial difficulty” because it defeats the purpose of a simulation altogether. There is enough evidence using YouTube videos and common sense alone that race cars can be driven at 95% attack by almost anybody who understands basic auto racing techniques, and the final 5% is what separates adequate drivers from truly fast drivers. This should be reflected in racing simulations, because that’s the entire point of a simulation. Those seeking an extra challenge from whatever title they’ve purchased shouldn’t beg for an artificial increase in difficulty from the driving model, but should instead try taming a car they haven’t driven before, joining a weekly league, or trying to take down some of the top leaderboard times."

...said it ALL. This is what my experience with AC has been in particular. While I'm that guy who is usually "3-5 seconds" off the leading times, I've watched and raced enough to see that AC offers both an immersive experience and rewarding one for those who possess real-world auto experience. They can transfer much of their knowledge about car handling to the game as far as it concerns pedaling and steering and get things from the game that I can't--which proves the point of what a sim REALLY is:

it rewards drivers who know to push physics where it can be pushed, not a bunch of Redbull-ed Herculeans who simply overcome fake difficulties or impossible odds.

16. Dinca Andrei

Dinca Andrei
    Premium Member

Best lecture i`ve read in a long time,yeah well put.
    People will alwas disagree even with facts on the table...Thats one of our nature...

17. Tim Ling

Tim Ling
    It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work Premium Member

Excellently written, well reasoned and above all 100% correct.

18. Nice!

19. Excellent article. Great work, Austin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.

Great Stuff, well done.
    One small observation I would add, is that in forum based discussion many people seem to adopt an approach that the more extreme their view the more impact it will have. They end up being fanboys or haters of various products and revere their own favourite with a quasi religious passion.
    This and the common lack of respect for others views tend to make discussion rather positional insted of principled and short and aggressive which doesnt promote constructive discussion. Thanks for your work.

• Agree Agree x 1