3D Work In Progress: Lamborghini Sesto Elemento Concept.

DrR1pper
As for implementing these models into any game I have to dissappoint you. If you look at a car model from NFS:Shift which is nicely detailed you will see that it exists of roughly 45000 polygons. The Enzo model although far from finished is doing 230000. This is waaay too much for any current game engine. Hopefully we will be able to use those kind of polygon number in the future but for now we're stuck with lowpoly cars for games.

First off i want to say how impressive your work is...just bloody perfection right there!

Secondaly, regarding the section i quoted from you....really? Are you sure you couldn't get them to run in a game?

The reason i ask is because i play lot of flight sim games and i build aircraft models....my Bae system hawk T1 model:

grey1.jpg
wireframe1.jpg

Hawk_02_1920x1080.jpg
DrR1pper

Hawk_03_3840x2160.jpg

The model consists of roughly 115,000 triangles.

Its flown in Lock On Flamming Cliffs 2 with 9 fellow pilots online in formation by the virtual red arrows display team without any lag on even up to 2-3 year old systems on the highest settings. That's 1,030,000 triangles/polygons in a single scene for aircraft alone without a hiccup.

ScreenShot_061.jpg

ScreenShot_069.jpg

ScreenShot_010-1.jpg

ScreenShot_006.jpg

DrR1pper

ScreenShot_106-2.jpg

ScreenShot_109.jpg

ScreenShot_111.jpg

ScreenShot_113.jpg

Have you even given it a test to see if the game will take the polygon of that magnitude before deciding its not possible given the default model detail. My thoughts would be that the default model is low poly because the game is eithr a) old or b) mutli-platform therefore consoles have less power to render polygons and PC users suffer for it with bad models.

p.s. what program are you using for 3d models and if you've used 3dsmax, how would you compare them for model making for both games and non games?

Cheers

DrR1pper

Thanks for the compliments, your BAe looks awesome too, very impressive.
As for your question regarding my models and games. The trouble lies in the fact that I use mesh smoothing (sub patch) to ensure the models are looking as real as possible. If you look at the screenshots of the lambo you'll initially see a fairly low poly model. What sub patch does is take one poly and virtually divide it into more polys. For example with a sub patch setting of 3, one quad will be devided into 9 polys. 3 on each side. Sub patch also takes an average of the surrounding polys to come up with the desired curvature. In order for these polys to show up in games I would have to freeze the model which raises the quad poly count to an average of 2 to 4 million, which in turn would be doubled if set to Tri's... And I have yet to see a game engine that can handle that. If you want I can post a screenshot of the Lambo which illustrates the freezing of polys.
Offcourse there are other ways of doing it (with normal maps for instance) but I am just a sucker for detail.

About the software I use; it's called lightwave. The biggest benefit that this program has in comparison to 3DSMax is that the modeling and rendering software is devided into 2 seperate programs which give imo a more streamlined working environment. Having said that, 3DSMax is the more complete suite of the two though.

Ah, very cool. The same goes for me, i use mesh smooth to make my models (i use sub-division of 3 for games). The final model turns out to be some 4-5 times more than 115k trigs/polys. I poly reduce the hell out which takes about 2 days to ensure the detail is where it needs to be and not in areas that are predominantly flat.

I can appreciate your comment now, yes it would hamper performance if you left the model in its full mesh-smooth state, but you can keep all that eye candy and reduce the poly count a substantial ammount whilst keeping the hard-worked detail you've clearly put into each.

Always looking for a better model making program than max (its not perfect) so will have to give lightwave a go.

Cheers

@ DrR1pper and Marcel......

Awesome, drool worthy and very cool! Great work both of you, I cant imagine the skill and hours needed for such works of art, most impressive :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back