3D MAX & You

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So your looking at producing your own renders, You've got one of the many version of 3d max and your wondering whats next.

Well here is some of the ins and outs :

First off you'll need Spluterfish's Brazil you can download the demo vresion known as Rio from there site here:- SplutterFish, LLC: Home

Next you'll need the 3D max car scenes for Race07 and those are availble via:- Portal - raceskinning you'll have to register there.

So now you have evrything you need to get started. All you need to do now is load up a scene and go right?

Wrong due to the fact these scenes where made with a differant version of MAX and a full version of Brazil, Youlll have to make some alterations to get it to look the way you want.

So you load your scene and it looks like this:

Terrible isn't it well first off we need to set up are renderer so on the top menu bar find "Rendering" and from the drop down find "Render Setup" click on that and you'll get a menu:

Now due to the fact we are using Rio we are restricted to image size (1024x511 max) so for now select 640x480. Now on the same menu scroll down tp were it says "Assign Renderer" This is where we are going to be telling it to use Brazil Rio. So click on the three little dots:

and from the drop down menu select Brazil:

Hi guys .

3dsmax is briljant, but you need to be almost a rocket scientist to get it all.

Im having problems with windows. that is Car windows..
Usually i just leave them in their standerd material .
just putting on the windows exterior file and im ok with it.

But als my renders get better and better i want them to replace with a Vray Material .

So which should i choose?
Now i take just the Vray Mat.
And fill in the Difusse color with the Ext.TGA. which i make out of the PSD.
Then for Opicity, i take the Alpha Layer and save it also as a TGA.
But what else should i do to get the best result .

If your using Vray you want a Vray Mat with a high reflect and a high IOR also for the difuse texture you dont have to always save as TGA you can use your template stright off. As for the alpha you can just save it as a Jpeg.

Other things to consider with vray is to make a studio lighting scene which is pritty easy to do.

Just wanted to say thank you for this amazing thread. I've never even begun to understand using Brazil for rendering until now. I'm speechless at the result of just following this tutorial:

SOxx6.png

THANK YOU
- You would make a fantastic teacher for this stuff!:D

Looks like you have some mixed textures on what would be your windows. What you could do is this simple trick.
Press M to bring up the material editor and slowly go to each material sphere and remove the diffuse texture and see what changes in the render window. If the texture is remove from the car body put it back. If uts removed from the window replace it with the window textures.

If that does not sort it let me know.

Sorry Jarrod I can not understand what do you mean as I am a totally newbie and I followed the perfect tutorial but something wrong with me.

Here you are some more info about every thing:

1- When I start 3d max 9 I got this msg and I click ok:
Untitled1.jpg

2-Then I got this msg and I click also ok:
Untitled2.jpg

3- I start with open the Doran scene file:
Untitled3.jpg

4- Then the next window appears, and I click open:
Untitled4.jpg

5-After I click open I got the next look:
Untitled5.jpg

5- I try to follow your tutorial by setup the render issues and then get to material by clicking "M", but I noticed that there is only one sphere in black and all other spheres are standard and nothing else there like the next pic:
Untitled6.jpg

6-I noticed that when I move with the arrow over the black body of the car that it says chassis and wheel and rear wing but no window or other things,! I dont know if that what should be or not, while I was doing the same work with Seat there were parts for the car when I moving the arrow!!

7- back to the Doran car here, after I do every thing I got the pic you saw in my previous post, so I dont know where is the problem, but I already saw some members did rendered the Doran for the GTR EVO using the same scene and the same materials.!

8- I end up with the next result:
3dmax.jpg

Waiting your advice and ready to give more info.

Best :)

Going from what you have stted the 3D scene for the Docan only has one set material sphere. This leads me to belive that this material sphere should be a multi/sub. So instead of selecting max material from the material browser you want to be lloking for mulri/sub under standard materials.
This will give you a material sphere with many layers in a scene and each layer will require its on material and texture.

To help with the process of what goes where:

On each material level select the material

enter it and from there alter its diffuse color as you change the color you should notice what part of the car is changing to that color thus heping you know in advance what testure should be applied.

Does anyone know how to get 4 different car models into one render?
for instance : i open the bmw 320si model in to 3dmax.
Get al my materials right.
Now if i drag another 3d model into the screen , and select MERGE. I lose the materials for the second car.
So i've made al the cars correct in a different 3dmax file.

But if i merge them i lose all the materials on those cars

So how can i save a 3dmax file so it will take al those materials with it into one scene..

The easy way is to alter one car in its scene and then save it out with the custom materials attached. Then merge it into your final scene.

For example I load the 320Si apply my textures and save the scene as 320si_1 then I load a honda and alter its materials and save as Honda _1. Now open final car scene and import merge the two new scen car models and away I go.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back