33 km RBR track

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
UPDATE: NEW 1.2 VERSION - The new update adds more variety to the terrain, much more grass, more surrounfing trees and SObjects were used to add the fencing & telegraph poles. Some textures were also updated. Enjoy!!

Sorry to anyone else who is gettng sore eyes from not blinking whilst playing. I have tested this track numerous times and after 3 days now have eyes that just won't stay open any longer. Long tracks are welcome, but take care and get some good rest in beteween. ;)

Description
============

As a test of the new RBR plugin I created a very rough track and covered it on objects. It's not the best design, not the prettiest, but a great proof of concept and I thought I'd share it with you as a taste of things to come with BTB v0.7.

Requires a high end graphics card capable of Instancing (typically SM3.0 onwards).

Stats:
- It's 33kms long.
- took less than 3 days to build, including the coding of a new BTB planter tool.
- takes about 26 minutes to drive with a few stops along the way to hug a tree.
- contains ~25,000 trees, a mixture of the new complex ones and some regular ones.
- over 250,000 objects.

On my machine it:
- loads in < 21 seconds.
- the new LOD system keeps the frame rate @60fps at 1920x1200 (running without Car Reflections)

No I don't need any feedback on how to improve the track - it's just a test. ;)

Disclaimer
============
This track has been made in under two days and as a test is not completed to it's full potential.
- There are no pacenotes because I don't have time.
- There is no camber because I don't have time so you will slipp off.
- There are no retaining walls because I don't have time; stray more than 20 meters from the edge of the road and you risk falling to infinity.
- The plugin is not compatible with previous versions of plugins - do not attemtp to run older tracks using this plugin. Note the current copy of BTB will, during export, overwrite the plugin automatically.

Credits
============
- black f - one plugin
- Brendon Pywell - one track

Attachments

• RBR1.jpg
    RBR1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 722
  • RBR2.jpg
    RBR2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 547
  • RBR3.jpg
    RBR3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 480
  • RBR4.jpg
    RBR4.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 566
Test:

Intel Dualcor6850 2x 3GHz
2GB Ram
MSI GeForce 8800 GTX OC edition
Bus Standard PCI Express x16
Memory Type GDDR3
Memory Size(MB) 768
Memory Interface 384bit
Core Clock Speed(MHz) 610
Memory Clock Speed(MHz) 2000

CPU and GK water cooled

Windows XP SP2
Direct X 9c

loding time between 15 to 19 seconds

Res 1900x1200 full screen

without cubic bumpmaping: between 80FPS to 120FPS
with cubic bumpmapping:between 29FPS to 40 FPS

the new hierarchal trees are flickering

I drive 20 minutes and 31 seconds with peugoet 207 S2000. It is very hard without pacenotes.I was sometimes out of the road (with many luck without big crashes) or i m bracking to much. But it take a lot of fun and i will look in to a great future.

Lamda

tested the first (non patched) version. Now I'm unable to try the patch.

Windows XP, Athlon 64 X2 3800+, nvidia 8800 GTS 320MB, 2GB DDR
1680x1050, 4xAA

fps around 30 (27 to 35) for almost all track. Drops to 25 in the middle.

Noticed the flickering hierarchical trees. The greyish effect for far objects and terrain looks like fog, I think I have to get used to it? (just first impression!)

looks good, since the previous test for the current plugin (40000 objects in 7Km) gave me 20 fps!:victory:

Wow, Piddy.

First I would like to know ho the far terrain is made in BTB? The hills in the distance i mean.

Got 25-30 FPS on my Vista and Nvidia Quadro FX4600. Win XP gives me 70 FPS on same hardware.

It has a very poor frame rate in my PC. Very very stuttering. It happens with lots of BTB tracks, like this one, Eneryda and Malaga Hillclimb. It doesn't happen in Wallaby exported tracks, like Pribram, which also has a large range and lot of meshes.
My PC is a P4 2.5GHz, 1Gb RAM and the GCard is a Nvidia 7600GS.

i tested both of them and they works.

the first one give me 70 FPS, and load in 22 seconds (i have no engine sound on this version)

-the last version(pacthed version)

give me a lot of error (texture load mesaje) wile loading... but it works, it takes 19 second to load and give me 35 FPS.

• jharro

give me a lot of error (texture load mesaje) wile loading... but it works, it takes 19 second to load and give me 35 FPS.

can you send me that log file pease?
the FPS drop is because i've enable reflections, i will turn them back off after this test but until then you can also disable the reflections in ini (see the first post again).

Ricardo Rodrigues; said:
It doesn't happen in Wallaby exported tracks, like Pribram, which also has a large range and lot of meshes.

i'm sorry to dissapoint you but that track is nowhere near as big as this test, which, because instancing, it's actually containing 6441170 poly, so approx. 6.5 milions. you will never see a similar number in the RBR's original format because that would require to join all the objects together in larger meshes. in other words, if i would export this test to original format you would not even have enough RAM to open it, let alone the rendering and the video memory...

i get ~90-100FPS with a year old 8800GTS without reflections, with reflections i get around 40FPS and i belive there is still room for improvement, it has to be because we need to squeeze in the shadows too, hopefully soon enough, maybe by then you will get yourself a faster graphic card.

I've got a little problem with this track, without the patch. Here is the loading screen, with the errors.
Could it be because I've got an old computer?

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 275
  • jharro

I've got a little problem with this track, without the patch. Here is the loading screen, with the errors.
Could it be because I've got an old computer?
unlikely. in that case would have been other errors too. it just looks like you are using the Objects folder from another track or the materials.ini from another track so the plug doesn't find matching materials for the xfiles.
try reinstalling.

can you send me that log file pease?
the FPS drop is because i've enable reflections, i will turn them back off after this test but until then you can also disable the reflections in ini (see the first post again).

sorry about that... becouse i have others tracks in RXCONTENT folder... so i delete all of them and now the test track patched work fine... load in 15/18 seconds and give me 35 FPS with awesome reflections over the car.

juiovq.jpg

this is my load screen rigth now... load time no allways the same ;)

xbbi9h.jpg

Thanks Bram.

The new update includes new texture, about three times the amount of grass, more trees in surrounding area, I cut down trees in some sections to provide a wider variety of landscape.

The terrain was given much more variety by adding humps and valleys.

Sorry still no real camber added or pacenotes. These won't get added until I add a way to semi-automate the process. ;)

I've written some thoughts about what I have learnt when attempting a long rally stage using BTB ... http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/17184-rbr-long-track-making-guide.html

• 42Cliff

Brendon where can we adjust the LOD distance on this?

Its undrivable for me with so much visible.

4200+X2 6600gt 2gb ram

• 42Cliff

is there any rhyme or reason to the LODOut numbers, they vary tremendously from object to object ..

from LODOut=16974.26 to LODOut=150

as far as I can tell ..

in .7 in the objects dialog both in and out are set at 100, but in this track all the ins are set at 0 I think .. is there a place to set the default for all objects placed/track or is it set for every group of objects that you place at one time?

edit: after drawing some objects in/out changed to 0 2000 for everything that was listed at 100 100 when the file was freshly opened.

edit2: ok, nevermind I reopened the same project and it said 0 2000 for everything from the start, so dunno what happened that first try.
--------------

yea, on the comp I f'd up when I built it and didn't get a pciexpress motherboard cause I thought I was building it for someone else ... ended up shooting myself in the foot bigtime on that one, since I had to end up keeping it.

Tests:

Windows XP, Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.4GHz, nvidia 8800 GTS 320MB, 2GB DDR, 1680x1050. RBR exe started in high priority mode (it makes a difference guys!)

1) no AA, environmentcubemaps false: mostly between 40-45 fps. Up to 60 in the middle (less trees). Periodically drops to 30 fps for an instant with minimal stuttering (almost unnoticeable when looking for trees at 150kph without pacenotes!). 25 minutes ride...

2) 4xAA: just the same
3) 4xAA and environmentcubemap true: almost the same, both bumper and external view, I was expecting a decrease in fps

still flickering hyerarchical trees.
Very good for an almost 3 year old pc. GPU is not a bottleneck in my case.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back