30fps on Max and Low settings!?

Sorry, yet another thread :giggle:

I've been running Evo at 30fps, dipping to 20fps when in a big pack or just cetain parts of the track with max settings for a loooong time now and decided after playing LFS that 60 really is the way to go, so I stuck all the settings to lowest to see what that gives me and guess what, I was still getting 30fps with the dips!

This really confuses me and I would really like to know:

1) Why!?
2) What can I do about it?

Specs: 8600M GS, C2D T7300 (2.0ghz), 2gb DDR2

@ Jamie. Do you have the performance monitor turned on? I think it's a cpu problem because the amount of fps doesn't go lower or higher..

Can you set the cpu to it's maximum speed all the time. Maybe it's holding back at a lower multiplier giving it a lower speed to save energy/

@ Jamie. Do you have the performance monitor turned on? I think it's a cpu problem because the amount of fps doesn't go lower or higher..

Can you set the cpu to it's maximum speed all the time. Maybe it's holding back at a lower multiplier giving it a lower speed to save energy/

Yeh I thought it could be a CPU problem too. Does it on some other game I have. Performance monitor is off and laptop is in high performance mode..

Which resolution did you run? I suspect you have a cutted down graphiccard with only 64-Bit Memoryinterface. Set the resulution to 640x480 with no Antialiasing and take a look at the framerate, if it improves adjust the resolution afterwards to a level you can live with. Your CPU-Speed should be no Problem at all (in a normal offline dry race), since i had a equally fast CPU (AMD X2@2,4 GHz) in my rig without such issues.

Which resolution did you run? I suspect you have a cutted down graphiccard with only 64-Bit Memoryinterface. Set the resulution to 640x480 with no Antialiasing and take a look at the framerate, if it improves adjust the resolution afterwards to a level you can live with. Your CPU-Speed should be no Problem at all (in a normal offline dry race), since i had a equally fast CPU (AMD X2@2,4 GHz) in my rig without such issues.

Ah yes, that was the problem. Runs faster at lower-res, but I really don't like low-res, comes out so blurry and 'orrible. I'll stick to 30fps till I upgrade for now then, thanks :D

Make sure your video card is correctly alimented in electricity.

You should have a molex going into it.

I had a similar problem with my previous rig: Celeron 2,8 GHz and 7600GS and when I changed for a C2D rig, i opened the thing and noticed that i had forgotten to put electricity cable on the video card !!!

Some power was coming to it via the motherboard, but it was not running at 100% of its ability.

Now I've got two rigs...

Make sure your video card is correctly alimented in electricity.

You should have a molex going into it.

I had a similar problem with my previous rig: Celeron 2,8 GHz and 7600GS and when I changed for a C2D rig, i opened the thing and noticed that i had forgotten to put electricity cable on the video card !!!

Some power was coming to it via the motherboard, but it was not running at 100% of its ability.

Now I've got two rigs...
He has a laptop, so no molex connectors in there.. ;)

• Karel Witterick

I have about the same specs. You just need to put everything on low. I have Vista and actually raising the resolution and use 32bit colour gave me more FPS. I think in low resolution the drawingdistance automatically goes further away eating up FPS. My desktop uses 32bit colours, but I haven't tryed 16bit in higher resolution. Maybe it would be better I don;t know.

BTW how can you see the FPS? What command do you need and how do you enter it?

• Karel Witterick

Great program. I now know why you only have 30FPS. Maybe it's a laptop thing, but with VSync on it's capped to 30 while in the settingsscreen it says 60Hz. Turn it off and the FPS will go higher. I have a C2D 2.1Gh with 2GB RAM and Radeon X1350 videocard. It runs very smooth with all settings to low execpt special effects and shadows in medium resolution.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 148 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 39.9%