3 screen setup - need help?

ARG1980

Copenhagen APEX
I am getting ready for a three-screen setup.

Right now I have a single 24 "Asus VG248QE 144hz. I'd like two more of theese displays.

However, I started to question the need for such a setup if I still do not draw more than 60fps in such a setup when I play the games below.
Because then the 144hz monitor is unnecessary - correct?

So it is perhaps better to buy three cheep screens that max runs 60hz?

I have the following. Specs on my PC:

Ram 8GB DDR3-2666
Processor Intel Core i5-4690 3.5 Ghz Devils Canyon
GFX Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC, 4096 MB GDDR5

I play the following games:
- Iracing (max settings 140fps)
- Automobilista (max settings 140fps)
- PCars (close to max settings 70-80fps)
- Assetto Corsa (max settings80-90fps)
What do you say, what do you advise me to do?

ps. I am not ready for a VR solution yet.

As my eyes are pretty bad i might not be the person to judge that, but i don't really see the point in 144Hz screens. Unless you run Titans in SLI you most likely will not hit 144 FPS solid and when it comes to triples we're talking about 5760x1080 or even "worse" 7680x1440,

Using 1080p triples your PC will face 300% the load on your PC.
Using 1440p triples that explodes to 533% of load.
144FPS isn't a realistic goal there, really.

I personally would go for 3 "regular" screens and adapt settings to hit 60 FPS solid.

Upvote 0
Correct. 60 Hz monitors work, though you'll probably notice the difference in the games where you've got high framerates.

On a slightly different subject: screen size matters if you want a realistic field of view with your triple monitors. Even 27" monitors (what I have) are a tad small with triples because you can't get the screens close enough with the wheel correctly positioned (because the housing of the wheel gets in the way). The gold standard here for a good field of view, IMHO, are 40" monitors or TVs, but something over 30" will be better than 27". *Note that if you play first person shooter games, then refresh rate is probably more important than screen size.*

I'd be afraid that your video card is not fast enough to use max settings with triple monitors, particularly in PCars and Assetto Corsa. Are you planning to upgrade it or turn down the video settings?

Upvote 0
Correct. 60 Hz monitors work, though you'll probably notice the difference in the games where you've got high framerates.

On a slightly different subject: screen size matters if you want a realistic field of view with your triple monitors. Even 27" monitors (what I have) are a tad small with triples because you can't get the screens close enough with the wheel correctly positioned (because the housing of the wheel gets in the way). The gold standard here for a good field of view, IMHO, are 40" monitors or TVs, but something over 30" will be better than 27". *Note that if you play first person shooter games, then refresh rate is probably more important than screen size.*

I'd be afraid that your video card is not fast enough to use max settings with triple monitors, particularly in PCars and Assetto Corsa. Are you planning to upgrade it or turn down the video settings?
Well I am not upgrading the graphic card, so I don't think there is a reason to run 3 144hz over 3 60hz.

Upvote 0
I had a similar dilemma and just decided to get 2 cheaper 60Hz monitors (144Hz would have cost me double of 60Hz equivalent over here). With a 980Ti, I get around 60fps at the start with full grid in AC. Issue I have with other sims (AMS, rF2, SCE) though is tearing when turning even with higher FPS. Still playing around with settings.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 379 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years