3 ideas opened for discussion.

1- I sometimes send emails to software devs asking them if they can bring us some real numbers and experiences from what real racing teams have, for example, I expected real teams to make their testing for the best electronics values on a simulator, to save fuel and time, another example, is about bringing tire wear data from tire manufacturers, a third example (about hardware this time), is to bring that the rig makers bring the real dimensions for real race cars (or why not? Road cars and even trucks for truck simulators) cockpits so that they can give you a mark on the adjustable rig so that you can set your rig dimensions to sit exactly like those of a road car or a F1 car and so on. I'm not kidding, I go that far, I emailed the V-rig maker about it.

Now a new idea came to my mind that is same as silly as those previous ones. Yesterday I was driving a luxury car while having my (wet) day dreams about how better the FFB in 80s and 90s cars was. The reason (and I'm not an expert) is that newer car use technologies like drive-by-wire and electronic assists. With other words they have fake forces to the wheel, FFB. And now the idea: Can sim developers get the software, applications and the values that car makers use (collaboration) to create FFB?

2- Off course others have already thought about this (and about the other ideas), but also yesterday I jumped on the brake pedal so hard and had that unpleasant feeling of the ABS kicking in.

The idea is: FFB on the shifter and pedals, Fanatec V3's alerady have rumble motors, but my idea is that those motors can be much more violent and low frequency. An ABS brake pedal pumps the pedal like 1 cm up and down and it only does that like once or twise every second (not 60hz). Also the clutch, remember how frustrated you get with the (broken) manual shifting model in iR or R3E punishes you by giving gearbox damage while it allowed you to shift and it's not your fault? If you had a small motor on your shifter that hits hard (besides a sound effect of metal hitting metal), you will then understand that you tried to engage the gear too quickly and back off it quickly.

3- G-force vests: Totally different topic: but I saw yesterday some videos about haptic feedback vests, vests that have tension and vibrations on different places on your body. And away from the resistance I usually get when I mention motion feedback and when I speak about how it is equally important to the wheel force feed back. (And here I can remind you guys that every and each real racing driver who jumped into simulators for the first time had the same first complaint about what's missing in sims compared to real driving: "the lack of g-force ques").
Away from pessimism, the idea is: Can these haptic vests be something for sim racing? To complement motion sims, seat movers, bass shakers, tension belts and g-seats in making you feel some g-force ques?

1- Road cars and even trucks for truck simulators) cockpits so that they can give you a mark on the adjustable rig so that you can set your rig dimensions to sit exactly like those of a road car or a F1 car and so on. I'm not kidding, I go that far, I emailed the V-rig maker about it.

Now a new idea came to my mind that is same as silly as those previous ones. Yesterday I was driving a luxury car while having my (wet) day dreams about how better the FFB in 80s and 90s cars was.

Off course others have already thought about this (and about the other ideas), but also yesterday I jumped on the brake pedal so hard and had that unpleasant feeling of the ABS kicking in.

The idea is: FFB on the shifter and pedals, Fanatec V3's alerady have rumble motors, but my idea is that those motors can be much more violent and low frequency. An ABS brake pedal pumps the pedal like 1 cm up and down and it only does that like once or twise every second (not 60hz). Also the clutch, remember how frustrated you get with the (broken) manual shifting model in iR or R3E punishes you by giving gearbox damage while it allowed you to shift and it's not your fault? If you had a small motor on your shifter that hits hard (besides a sound effect of metal hitting metal), you will then understand that you tried to engage the gear too quickly and back off it quickly.

G-force vests: Totally different topic: but I saw yesterday some videos about haptic feedback vests, vests that have tension and vibrations on different places on your body. And away from the resistance I usually get when I mention motion feedback and when I speak about how it is equally important to the wheel force feed back. (And here I can remind you guys that every and each real racing driver who jumped into simulators for the first time had the same first complaint about what's missing in sims compared to real driving: "the lack of g-force ques").
Away from pessimism, the idea is: Can these haptic vests be something for sim racing? To complement motion sims, seat movers, bass shakers, tension belts and g-seats in making you feel some g-force ques?

This would be cool, but a really really small marked, and the rigs also had to be very complex and possibly very expensive. I have built my own rig, where the seat can go up down, tilt (a bit), forth and back. The pedals also can go forth and back. I can mostly imitate the seat position to most GT cars with this setup. And in VR, it’s really easy to find the right position.

The FFB in 80s and 90s cars isn’t any better than today, the most cars have way to slow steering columns for that. Some cars from that era have nice FFB, most don’t. Most of those cars feels a bit mushy.

We don’t hav FFB, but we do have transducers, they can give you this information.

Yes, our brain is a wonderful thing.
With small haptics, you can “train” your brain to “feel” the G-forces.
More vibration more Gs.
I use Andres (<https://andres.shop/jetseat/52-98-v...or-black/30-additional_software_included-none>) seat pad, and when you used to it, it provide FFB for your butt and upper body. It’s really effective. (Because it can vibrate for ever, it can tell you the sustained Gforces and how much your loading up.) It’s also really fast, so the transfer of weight, you can feel that. It’s not real ofc. But it’s useful and immersive, especially in VR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes