24 Hours of Le Mans: "Le Mans" film featuring Steve McQueen

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Steve McQueen Le Mans Movie 1971.JPG

Only a few days left until the start of the race of the year, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Before the lights at Circuit de la Sarthe turn green this Saturday at 15:00 CEST its time to get you into the right mood by presenting the classic "Le Mans" movie featuring cult hero and real life racing car driver Steve McQueen.

Besides the lead role for McQueen, who has surprisingly little text in this movie, the co-stars of production are the Ferrari 512s and Porsche 917s, iconic racing vehicles with tons of visual and audio appeal to racing enthusiasts.

After its release in 1971 the film faced a lack of success with the general theatre public, but over time both racing and movie fans have embraced "Le Mans" for its authentic racing scenes, the iconic blue and orange gulf livery on the car of McQueen and above all the film breathes the atmosphere that fans experience when visiting the race, even today in 2014.

For tonight sit back and relax and enjoy the 1 hour and 48 minutes long action packed film and make sure to share it friends that have not caught the Le Mans virus yet.

Watch the 24 Hours of Le Mans live stream on RaceDepartment

If you are not among the 300,000 fans that spectate the biggest endurance race of the world live from the track you can stay in your seat behind your PC, Tablet or Mobile phone and enjoy the 24 Hours of Le Mans from the comfort of your own home.

We´ll broadcast the full event via various live streams throughout the day and night with live timing and various community features.

Make sure to bookmark our live stream page and popular chatbox and enjoy the toughest race of the year with other endurance fans from around the world.

To receive instant updates about the 24 Hours of Le Mans make sure to follow us via your favorite Social Media channel: Facebook, Twitter and / or Google+.

My dad took me to see this in the theatre.
I've owned the movie for many years.
Thanks for putting this great racing flick up for all to enjoy!

Go #20!

Great stuff, cant wait to watch it.
In about 1969 my uncle who was a passionate racer took myself aged 10 and my brother aged 11 to watch a 16mm reel to reel documentary of the first Ford GT40 victory. So it will be atmospheric for me.
It must have had some Ford PR money behind it as they referred really to a David and Goliath battle with "the might of the factory Posche team". Whereas in fact the Ford motor company with its multi million car sales dwarfed the tiny Porsche company.
30 years later the same uncle later went on to race at Lemans himself in a privately entered Porsche GT2 as well as scoring podiums in the American Lemans series.
I reminded him of taking us to the movie 30 years earlier.

i believe mcqueen forfeited all rights to any income generated by the movie as a condition of it being released. obviously he 's no longer around to collect it, but unless that's been rectified...well, anyway, this is w/r/t streams or downloads, take it as you will

I watched the movie yesterday on DVD - you guys still know these round, flat things ;-)

I watch it at least once a year and every single time it gives me the goosebumps (make sure to watch it on a large screen with good sound and HIGH volume.
For racing enthusiasts as well as for movie fans this is one of the greatest master pieces.

Having been at Le Mans for several years and having seen that circuit awake in the mornings I must say there is no other movie or documentary that captures the spirit of this race any better.
You could swear you can smell Le Mans when watching this movie.

It also helps of course that the camera work is of the finest there is - no other racing movie before or since has captured and portrayed racing just like this movie.

It is a must watch for anyone who has the slightest interest in cars.
It helps of course too that Porsche is shown winning Le Mans in the movie with the glorious flat 12 Porsche 917 (and you are going to hear plenty of its 12 cylinder music in the movie).

If you have no access to the stream, go, run and get a DVD or rent it or buy it as a stream on one of the many sites - it is very well worth the price of admission.

This is silly ;-)

But here is some data which surely is interesting to look through for both these great men:

racing results:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/results/Steve-McQueen-USA.html
http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/results/Paul-Newman-USA.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/steve-mcqueen-vs-paul-newman-better-racer/
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/history/sports-cars/mcqueen-vs-newman

I loved seeing both these men on the screen as well reading about their racing exploits.
Both are great men still sorely missed.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 292 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years