2018 Realistic Wish List

What has the new year in store for Assetto Corsa? AC2 maybe?

What are your dream content wishes, mods or otherwise?

Mine are:

Goodwood Hillclimb (in progress, cannot wait)
Gran Turismo Tracks, specifically Seattle, Citti D'Aria and Deep Forest...please someone make it happen!!

AI that uses the player setup would be ideal IMO.
Kinda a can of worms though, it'd be impossible to get AI that works well on every setup (eg. ai has to be tweaked to suit aero, some cars have 2-3x changes in aero load from min to max). And apparently same as a lot of users prefer modern race cars, a lot of users prefer a game where any possible way you can play it just works.

There's a long list of things that could be added. After all simulating real life is damn complex!

I guess the dream of all of us, the dream of the modders etc, would be an AC 2.0 that just adds features to AC. I am sure everyone of us would be glad to pay a full game price for that update. Wow! Rain and Night! Driver swaps! Loose surface! Chassis flex! Track objects animation! Rolling starts! And I can keep my 300 cars, track mods, awesome apps! After all AC is today even more alive and kicking than before, and I am not tired at all of it. The thing is that no one wants to re-start from scratch especially if what you already have is good and/or you have spent thousands of hours developing mods, rigs etc. And it's way too early to declare AC a thing of the past.

The sad reality, though, is that you cannot add features to the graphics core or to the physics core without breaking compatibility with the old stuff. I guess that even developing an AC 2.0 Kunos will have to use a part of the resources to develop tools to convert mods from AC to the new title. The other challenge will be the timing. If they stop developing AC (no new features, no new DLCs) they will have no new income until they have the new game ready. And I guess this cannot last for too long. So it looks like in order to be quick enough they will have to repeat the AC process: write a new core, develop tools to convert stuff from AC, then publish the thing in early access and continue development of new features. The risk is finding yourself in the rF -> rF2 situation but I hope they can learn from that experience.

I sorta hope they ignore the core "sim racer" group (which is obviously small, look how few people play rf2 even though it has all the things they ask for) and add some features for the "sim driver"s, people who want realistic car physics but do things other than endurance racing. You just have to look at AC mods to see that drift, rally, and free roam have their own massive communities who play AC. And they don't care that it's missing driver swaps or parade laps or rolling starts or WEC-specific blue flag rules.

Better offroad physics, more flexible track/car creation (16km square is plenty for circuits but small for point to point, and being able to instance objects instead of having deep copies would make track files much less redundant), maybe some additions to the server API so people can write custom modes with access to penalties and race control... that's what I think the game could differentiate itself from other car simulators with.

You know what? If you look at the stats of the car sims on Steam, BeamNG.Drive is performing as good as AC. That is really awesome, basically AC and BeamNG.Drive rule! (they're way behind GTA V of course.. and there's also Euro Truck Simulator! but ok let's not become too greedy) So, they may not cater to the same audience, but their two success stories are proof that well done "open" sims work. If the core is good, people are willing to spend time tinkering with stuff and your game never gets boring. To me this shows how focusing first on the core features of the sim then going early access and allowing full moddability is the right way to go.

More Group C and IMSA GTP cars (Jaguar XJR-9, Lancia LC2, Toyota 88C/88C-V, Nissan R90C,
Aston Martin AMR1)

Besides the DRM mods, more Group 5 and IMSA GTX cars (only one by Kunos) especially a trio of Nissan racecars known as the "Nissan Turbo Corps" from Japan's Super Silhouette series

and also the JAF TS and GTS racers of the early 1970s
o0500072813579246026.jpg

• Deleted member 130869

^
Completion of modded Group C cars, the release of the very fitting Lilski and Sergio Loro tracks. No expectations from the developer.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back