2017 Formula One Monaco Grand Prix

I don't think it was team order. And even if it was, I think Kimi deserved that. He is being the slowest driver of the top 4 consistently, and Vettel is fighting for the championship. No doubts that Vettel is the driver #2 for Ferrari.

not only did he not increase it, it was closing fast. ferrari had to pit a car to cover, which car do you think theyre going leave out, the slow one or the fast one?

how a strategy plain enough to be understood by a child could be spun into a mini melodrama is...not one bit surprising!

watch the F1 access replay, laps 37 + 398 were criticlal; vettel set the fastest lap of the race on 37 (by over a half second), then bested it on 38 by over 2 tenths. kimi responded by going 15.5 on the supersofts but it was too late, vettel had done just enough to ensure he'd come out ahead barring a the now-traditional pitlane ****-up.

L28: kimi clears traffic & flips the switch; even at L30 his gap over VET is 2s. before L32 is over vettel is within 1s & is forced to hang around there. meanwhile ricciardo is is shaving over .6-8s/lap off kimi the past 3 laps. kimi pits L34, RIC kept fastest pace for a few more laps before vettel hit another gear. vettel comes out ahead & builds a 13s gap.

CONTROVERSIAL.

While I cannot understand why some do not like Monaco, I respect everyone's opinions. I particularly like it for the spectacle that it is. If I could have a chance around one track this would, without a doubt be the one. Also, while racing here might be a bit less eventful because of less overtaking possibilities, it's generally more interesting when it's attempted. But really for me it's a refreshing break from the rest of the calendar because it's a unique street circuit that if something goes wrong for one or more drivers the results for them, any involved, and the rest of the field are generally upset making everything up for grabs. To each his own though.

Monaco is good for the history and specacle but its not really exciting as a race other than to admire the accurate driving. The result was never in doubt, Vettel was always going to be given preferential treatment to get the maximum points today. I feel bad for Raikkonen.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it was preferential treatment: Red Bull had the same strategy as Ferrari, and Daniel Riccardio got the same advantage as Vettel did (And the chatter from Red Bull did seem to indicate that that was unintentional). I think that, mainly, the teams did not have a full grasp of how the new cars and the ultrasoft tyres performed in Monaco, which is understandable.

pretty boring race, i think the old cars 16\15 were more exiting to watch because it was more of a challenge for the driver and possibly would of seen more overtakes.

oh well, at least hamilton managed to get some points.
mercedes should work more to improve on street tracks because they clearly struggle there.

• Deleted member 130869

There were no team orders, just Ferrari being Ferrari and working their strategy to favor their golden boy and points leader. Their awful attempts at explaining things about undercut and driver positioning only solidified it, as Bottas was fighting Verstappen and Ricciardo. There's no undercutting from 4s back.

I tried watching the race but I made it through about 12 minutes in total, split between watching the first few laps, a couple in between, and the last one. It was clear that Kimi wasn't fast enough to pull away from Sebastian and that Ferrari would work out a different pit stop strategy to make sure Sebastian had the lead, and from lap 34 onwards, the race was settled. Another extremely boring race.

There were no team orders, just Ferrari being Ferrari and working their strategy to favor their golden boy and points leader. Their awful attempts at explaining things about undercut and driver positioning only solidified it, as Bottas was fighting Verstappen and Ricciardo. There's no undercutting from 4s back.

I tried watching the race but I made it through about 12 minutes in total, split between watching the first few laps, a couple in between, and the last one. It was clear that Kimi wasn't fast enough to pull away from Sebastian and that Ferrari would work out a different pit stop strategy to make sure Sebastian had the lead, and from lap 34 onwards, the race was settled. Another extremely boring race.

Your first paragraph is wrong, and you even explain why it's wrong in your second paragraph.

Kimi was not fast at that point in the race and was losing time to Bottas and the Red Bulls. You may say there was no undercut from 4 seconds back, but Kimi only got out with a second or so on the cars behind. If they left it any longer then he'd have lost second. So they were forced to pit Kimi to cover the cars behind because Kimi didn't have the speed at the time, and the longer they waited the worst it'd have gotten.

Vettel did have the speed and as soon as he was released was able to pull away from every car and give himself a comfortable gap. Only when the laptimes equalised was it clear Vettel was about to start losing time, and they pitted him, the result being he came out ahead.

They had to pit Kimi to cover the now faster cars behind. They didn't have to pit Vettel because he had speed to spare and used it when he needed to. So lets drop the "golden boy" crap - Vettel won because he was faster when he needed to be. If Kimi had been on the ball he'd have been fast enough to cover off Vettel. As it is, he almost didn't cover off the Mercedes and Red Bulls and couldn't even match Vettel when he had brand new tyres.

Only thing that was a bit strange is when they pitted KR, at a time when he'd come out behind slower cars. They must have known that would happen.
Regardless, it did look like sv had more pace and probably deserved the win.

Only thing that was a bit strange is when they pitted KR, at a time when he'd come out behind slower cars. They must have known that would happen.
Regardless, it did look like sv had more pace and probably deserved the win.

They had no choice. They could've waited a lap or two to clear the back markers but they'd have lost the spot to Bottas and Riccardo who were faster at that point. They had to cover them off so chose track position over lost time, which is of course how you do Monaco.

• Deleted member 130869

Your first paragraph is wrong, and you even explain why it's wrong in your second paragraph.

Kimi was not fast at that point in the race and was losing time to Bottas and the Red Bulls. You may say there was no undercut from 4 seconds back, but Kimi only got out with a second or so on the cars behind. If they left it any longer then he'd have lost second. So they were forced to pit Kimi to cover the cars behind because Kimi didn't have the speed at the time, and the longer they waited the worst it'd have gotten.

Vettel did have the speed and as soon as he was released was able to pull away from every car and give himself a comfortable gap. Only when the laptimes equalised was it clear Vettel was about to start losing time, and they pitted him, the result being he came out ahead.

They had to pit Kimi to cover the now faster cars behind. They didn't have to pit Vettel because he had speed to spare and used it when he needed to. So lets drop the "golden boy" crap - Vettel won because he was faster when he needed to be. If Kimi had been on the ball he'd have been fast enough to cover off Vettel. As it is, he almost didn't cover off the Mercedes and Red Bulls and couldn't even match Vettel when he had brand new tyres.

Feel free to believe as you wish but do not try implying your thoughts as truth, and dismiss mine. I don't wish to repeat myself and you clearly didn't grasp my entire post. I know F1, I know its history, I know its drivers, and I know most of the current team's management styles. I don't really have any driver I actively support in current F1 and no allegiance to a team, so that's out the window too. Vettel's only problem was qualifying behind Raikkonen and most people must have known before the race went green that bar a Vettel crash before the pitstops, he'd have been put in first place. And if that hadn't happen, the team would have found another more obvious way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even in Indy500 there aren't overtakes on every lap.
But I still wish F1 to have just slightly more moments in a race that could make me and all my hair stand up.

Feel free to believe as you wish but do not try implying your thoughts as truth, and dismiss mine. I don't wish to repeat myself and you clearly didn't grasp my entire post. I know F1, I know its history, I know its drivers, and I know most of the current team's management styles. I don't really have any driver I actively support in current F1 and no allegiance to a team, so that's out the window too. Vettel's only problem was qualifying behind Raikkonen and most people must have known before the race went green that bar a Vettel crash before the pitstops, he'd have been put in first place. And if that hadn't happen, the team would have found another more obvious way.

Yet you claim your post as truth and talk about golden boy nonsense, despite there being absolutely no evidence to back it up. Meanwhile all I'm doing is telling you what actually happened.

Again - kimi was pitted to cover off the faster Bottas and Red Bulls. If they had not, Kimi would've lost those positions. This is backed up by the lap times. They did not pit Vettel because Vettel had speed to spare and started pulling away in fresh air. This is backed up by the lap times.

Kimi had no choice but to pit or he was risking losing a podium completely. This was because of his lack of speed at the end of the stint and lack of speed on cold tyres. Vettel did not have either of those problems and took advantage of it.

Kimi would've won the race if he was faster. That's just the fact. He wasn't fast enough when it counted and was forced into that strategy to maintain a podium place. There's just too many people who don't like vettel but love kimi because he once seen an ice cream who are upset.

I still think that wasn't a team order and Kimi was just slower (as he always has been the last few years). But that I don't get is what is the problem if they had orders? It is the same team, it is a team sport, why not help the driver which can be world champion? Or anyone here thinks that Kimi has a shot?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%