2017 Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix

QUALIFICATION

Hamilton on Pole, Vettel Last = Race Over Already
F1 Malaysian Grand Prix Quali.jpg

The somewhat boring continuation of Mercedes dominance shows itself again in Sepang for qualifying today, with Hamilton going quickest and Ferrari throwing it all away when it counts.

Sepang on Saturday afternoon would provide an interesting and slightly unusual grid for the race tomorrow, despite rows one and two following the usual form of Mercedes / Ferrari / Red Bull. Hamilton would overcome what was a difficult Friday to bag pole from Räikkönen, with the Red Bull duo only fractionally behind in the times as Verstappen and Ricciardo came within half a second of the top two places on the starting grid.

For World Championship hopeful Vettel the day would be a disaster, mechanical issues preventing the German driver from setting a time and leaving him a dejected last on the grid tomorrow, and with it perhaps the end of any serious chances to challenged for the drivers title this season.

On a positive note, passing is possible at Sepang and with the potential for rain always present, Vettel could yet find himself able to recover decent points tomorrow.

McLaren would have one of the best Saturday afternoon efforts since taking to Honda power, with both cars convincingly in the top ten for Vandoorne (7th) and team leader Alonso tenth, proving the early weekend form was no fluke for the woking team, and promising some solid potential for points come race day.

F1 rookie Pierre Gasly would do well for Toro Rosso, ending just one place and less than two tenths behind team mate Sainz in 15th.

Provisional Qualification Results
  1. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes - 1:31.605 1:30.977 1:30.076 18
  2. Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari - 1:32.259 1:30.926 1:30.121 14
  3. Max Verstappen - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer - 1:31.920 1:30.931 1:30.541 12
  4. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer- 1:32.416 1:31.061 1:30.595 16
  5. Valtteri Bottas - Mercedes - 1:32.254 1:30.803 1:30.758 17
  6. Esteban Ocon - Force India Mercedes - 1:32.527 1:31.651 1:31.478 17
  7. Stoffel Vandoorne - McLaren Honda - 1:32.838 1:31.848 1:31.582 18
  8. Nico Hulkenberg - Renault 1:32.586 - 1:31.778 1:31.607 17
  9. Sergio Perez - Force India Mercedes - 1:32.768 1:31.484 1:31.658 18
  10. Fernando Alonso - McLaren Honda -1:33.049 1:32.010 1:31.704 17
  11. Felipe Massa - Williams Mercedes - 1:32.267 1:32.034 12
  12. Jolyon Palmer - Renault - 1:32.576 1:32.100 14
  13. Lance Stroll - Williams Mercedes - 1:33.000 1:32.307 14
  14. Carlos Sainz - Toro Rosso - 1:32.650 1:32.402 14
  15. Pierre Gasly - Toro Rosso - 1:32.547 1:32.558 14
  16. Romain Grosjean - Haas Ferrari - 1:33.308 8
  17. Kevin Magnussen - Haas Ferrari - 1:33.434 6
  18. Pascal Wehrlein - Sauber Ferrari - 1:33.483 9
  19. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber Ferrari - 1:33.970 9
  20. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari DNF 2

Last edited:
RACE
Verstappen Perfect Under Pressure as Hamilton Extends Lead
Malaysian Grand Prix Race Report.jpg

Max Verstappen took his first victory of 2017 in Sepang today, performing perfectly at the front of the field to put a dent in Lewis Hamilton's perfect weekend.

Hamilton would still end up in a fine second place to extend his lead over rival Sebastien Vettel, with his German championship challenger performing admirably to eventually recover to fourth position, a much needed recovery drive in light of a disastrous weekend for the team to date.

Despite the joy of finding a solid result on Sunday afternoon, Vettel would still end the day disappointed as post race contact with Lance Stroll would result in serious damage to his Ferrari, leaving question marks as to the condition of his Ferrari gearbox heading into Suzuka next weekend.

Double trouble for Ferrari would impact Kimi Räikkönen before the race even began, with the Finnish star not even getting to the start of the race due to yet more mechanical issues for the Scuderia, putting an end to a weekend that held so much promise for the second Ferrari driver.

As for the race itself, Verstappen would move ahead of Hamilton at turn one on the fourth lap and never really look back, holding a reasonable lead over his British rival for the majority of the race before eventually coming home an impressive 12 seconds over the Mercedes man.

Ricciardo / Bottas / Vettel would provide much of the entertainment up front, with a spirited battle for much of the race providing something of fitting end to the Malaysian Grand Prix on the Formula One calendar.

Hamilton now holds a 34 point advantage with just five races remaining, starting with the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka next weekend.

Provisional Race Result
  1. Max Verstappen - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 1:30:01.290
  2. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes +12.770s
  3. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer +22.519s
  4. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari +37.362s
  5. Valtteri Bottas - Mercedes +56.021s
  6. Sergio Perez - Force India Mercedes +78.630s
  7. Stoffel Vandoorne - McLaren Honda +1 lap
  8. Lance Stroll - Williams Mercedes +1 lap
  9. Felipe Massa - Williams Mercedes +1 lap
  10. Esteban Ocon - Force India Mercedes +1 lap
  11. Fernando Alonso - McLaren Honda +1 lap
  12. Kevin Magnussen - Haas Ferrari +1 lap
  13. Romain Grosjean - Haas Ferrari +1 lap
  14. Pierre Gasly - Toro Rosso +1 lap
  15. Jolyon Palmer - Renault +1 lap
  16. Nico Hulkenberg - Renault +1 lap
  17. Pascal Wehrlein - Sauber Ferrari +1 lap
  18. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber Ferrari +2 laps

DNF: Carlos Sainz SAI Toro Rosso 29 DNF 0
DNS: Kimi Räikkönen RAI Ferrari 0 DNS 0

Last edited:
Ferrari kicked Ted out of the garage. :roflmao::roflmao::laugh::laugh::notworthy::cry::cry::roflmao::laugh::laugh::sick::laugh: Oh, that was priceless. Hearing the dough-boy whine about it for 90 minutes was priceless too. "We are no longer doing interviews, except with the drivers" lol. Damn...I knew I liked that Arrivabene for a reason. Even more now. Perhaps, Ted, if you stop trashing their drivers at every turn they may let you back in.

it looks like Sebas pissed on by a black elephant! What a disgrace! I'm tired of the dominion of mercedes for so many years! Sebas is the only hope! Greetings to everyone here! #ForzaSebas :thumbsup:

Reactions: Rob
Anyone want to out a bet on Kimi taking Lewis out at turn one?

I would laugh till I cried.

Kimi could totally get away with it, too. It could look intentional as hell, but about 30 seconds into his post race interview, you'd be thinking "dunno...dude is a space cadet!"

It's kind of inadvertent gaslighting, I think. Listen to Kimi talk long enough and you *will* eventually start to question your own sanity. :O_o:

VETTEL STROLL CONSPIRACY THEORY!!

Vettel realises at the end of the GP (dropping 15 seconds was it on the last lap?) that parts XYZ will need changing before Suzuka. And it'll cost him grid places as he finished the race and took the points.

So he creates a collision with Stroll on the warm down lap that will happen to have damaged parts XYZ.

Queue appeal slapped into the FIA by Ferrari saying 'we should be allowed to change parts XYZ without penalty because someone drove into us'

Might have pulled it off if he he'd left the steering wheel fitted and hadn't 'done a Senna'.

it looks like Sebas pissed on by a black elephant! What a disgrace! I'm tired of the dominion of mercedes for so many years! Sebas is the only hope! Greetings to everyone here! #ForzaSebas :thumbsup:
When you are so frustrated that you crash your car onto Stroll’s car because you think you are on racelines... On the outlap of the race... Honestly?

:D:roflmao:

But to be honest, Ferrari is a chaotic mess and Vettel is mentally nuts on track. He doesn’t keep his cool. For sure he is a fast driver, but today you saw the difference between keeping your cool like Hamilton and loosing your **** in the end like Vettel.

MAAAXMAXMAXMAXMAXMAAAAX

Also, Vettel... Honestly? I mean, I realize that a race under these conditions is super tiring and that he's fought harder then anyone else today, ramming into Stroll like that is still dumb.

This rubbish is just that-rubbish!
If blame needs to be apportioned the both are guilty, however, neither should be 'blamed'.
And as for the 'conspiracy' theorists, get a life please.
I'm not a 'fan' of either drivers FTR, but I'll give Vettel credit for an outstanding drive.
:poop:

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%