2016 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Rosberg Beats Hamilton.
The one eyed British press will need a couple of days at least to draw breath before they regurgitate their standard narrative about "the workman-like Rosberg vs the genius Hamilton". Come on guys there has been a cigarette paper between them for 2 years life isn't as simple as the red top newspapers would have you believe. #Rosberg can win this.
Grosjean in 6th for Haas.
What can I say, I love this guy.
Petulant Verstappen
What you havent heard about Sainz yet? He is pretty good, the press will talk about him soon before reverting to the "Verstappen is the next Schumacher" narrative.
Palmer P11.
Not bad guys almost in the points
Alonso safe
Thank goodness, I was trackside when Mr Graham Beveridge lost his life in 2001 at T3 braking zone. RIP..

I will watch it free to air at 13:30 GMT on Ch 4.
Sky/Bernie don't need my money.

Will Formula One also follow the Formula Simracing calendar and hold their next race at Bahrain?

-I did feel sorry for Verstappen, but he was a bit immature and got too hot headed. Once the damage was done he should've focused on the task at hand rather than winging on the radio.

-I think Haas were very lucky to finish as high as 6th and I don't think they'll be quite as high again for the rest of the season (A bit like Nasr last year in 5th) but I do think they'll get some low end points positions every other race or so. But I'd like to be proven wrong!

-Disappointed with Williams, looks like they might be the 5th fastest team now.

-Hopefully Ferrari getting good starts will be a regular thing this season because Mercedes are easily ahead in Quali, I think it's too early to compare the race paces still but I think Rosberg could have been another 10 seconds ahead if it weren't for overheating brakes.

Great result for Haas although helped out a great deal by the red flag coming before they had stopped so it may be a bit of a false position. Great to see some excitement throughout though and just hope it continues for the rest of the season. Verstappen should have just got on with it rather then moaning about it all but it was fun to hear lol. He can't complain at all following his decision at Singapore last year.

Very good drive from Ricciardo to secure 4th place for the Bulls too.

"Carlos had a lot of front locking. Therefore we called him for an early pit stop. We changed our strategy and sent him out on medium tires. Within the next three laps also Max came into the pits, but the team was not prepared for this stop, as we did not call him. Therefore he lost 7 seconds, which put him in 12th position." - Franz Tost (Team Principal)

If you want to vote for the Driver of the Day:
http://www.formula1.com/vote

Haryanto takes it, I'm sure. He got a massive following!

It was one of the best f1 races for a long time. Mercedes don't look much quicker during the race than ferrari now - certainly slow at the start - & other teams not far behind too. Good season this should be.
Not a fan of drama, but MV needs to grow up - world class driver but annoying to hear his self-entitled/immature comments on the radio all the time. Shut up and drive.

I'm just surprised to see that the race pace of Mercedes wasn't really special to be honest. Ferrari taking a go on them and even a Toro Rosso being able to keep Lewis behind over the first stint. Interesting to see, so perhaps they might look strong in Q but it could be possible due to the so called "Qualify mode" on their engines they obviously cant use for the race. Anyway it was closer than expected and without the Red Flag I think Seb could have won this race.

About MV, people are totally right when they say he needs to grow up. I just think all this anger was feed by going from a perspective in which he could finish p4 p5 (he was even shortly in p3 for a few laps) going all the way down outside the point finish. For sure a nice learning moment for him but I also hope the team will learn from this because they basically pushed 15 points in the drain as a minimum p5 p6 Finish for both TR drivers would have been possible if they simply had followed the strategy other teams took around them to go with the medium tire after the Red Flag situation.

By the way Max also shot himself in the foot, I believe he was supposed to stay out a bit longer on the final stop and with a normal stop to the soft tire for the final ~20 laps he would have been in front of Palmer and Sainz and been able to challenge p6 p7 p8,.. but instead he came into the pit without communication which led to the disastrous pit stop which put him behind Sainz and Palmer.

On the other hand still seen an enjoyable race with enough stuff happening. RBR race pace with their Renault TAG engine surprised me to, they showed some great pace as well with Ricciardo.

Great race, however even as much as I want to see Haas succeed and 6th place sounds great for their first time out, I would be remiss to point out that they likely wouldn't have placed as high if half the field hadn't been eliminated for one reason or another.

Hamilton obviously botched the start which likely cost him a potential 1st place finish although he did great to come back to 2nd place from 6th at one point. Rosberg drove great as usual.

Ferrari had a terrible tire strategy which cost Vettel a potential 1st place finish.

Ricciardio drove a brilliant race considering Red Bull is still down on power.

Both Torro Rosso's qualified great but dropped the ball during the actual race where it counted.

Sauber and Manor appear to be stuck in the back again.

Force India was rather quiet in the midpack. I was honestly expecting more from this season so we'll see as the season progresses.

Renault had a decent first outing I suppose, time will tell if they can compete with the top. I do love that yellow livery though.

Bottas did the best he could considering how far back he started but it seemed as if Australia doesn't really agree with him and he was just slower than Massa. Massa drove great though, no fault there.

Alonso and Button looked strong in qualifying but not as much during the race. That was a brutal crash by Alonso and looked to be his fault in my opinion, likely just a bad judgment on braking.

Here's an interesting point
1557590_10154621360086258_8362051622362637780_n.jpg

first to start with what the hell with qual,whos the moron came up with that nonsense,everybody was cheated of seeing the fastest cars go for it,as for the race i think lewis had it right,ferarri had something up there sleeve,a good clutch system,there just dust off the mercs at the start,i now the servey was posted about this year f1 who does what,a lot of people say haas wasn`t going to do any thing, but they prove it wrong, 6th place with romian,good for them,it nice to see the new team do good,ofcourse they have red car engine,behind them,and i`m guessing a lot of ferarri ,data ,like aero and tire data,the crash with the hass and mac,good to see both drivers walk away,dont now what to make of it ,from one side it look like both driver was looking down at the drivers screen and the other fernando caught him up faster than he thought,as for for toro roosa,max need to learn manners, you want to get by your team mate pass him bottom line,dont go cussing over the radio,that childish,yes he talented drive,but lack in thinking like a adult,at first when he came in 2015 i now he got a hard time from the crictics,ok give the kid a chance,but he acted like a ass at melbourne,maybe the critics right he shouldn`t be in f1,lack of age,if he going to act that way,he should go back to gp2,what surprise me beside the hass was reanult,i think they did pretty good,palmer make a good race,redbull and ferarri made bad tire call,should go with the harder compund,last longer get to the end,well nico won,good for him but still think he is a duece ,excuse the spelling english not my first language

-I did feel sorry for Verstappen, but he was a bit immature and got too hot headed. Once the damage was done he should've focused on the task at hand rather than winging on the radio.

Well, off course he's immature, he's 18 :p

One thing that does worry me a slight bit about this race is that, well: It worked. Several teams were more or less on par with eachother, in no small part due to the vehicles now being developed to the point that diminishing returns have kicked in and the slower teams can catch up to the faster ones in terms of engine and chassis development.

And now they're going to change it all again next year!

Everyone hating on Verstappen is quite amusing. So this is the first time you witness someone swearing/being frustrated on teamradio?
Listen to this
or
Your blood is already boiling ... just swear! ;)

I still think F1 is slowly killing the sport with Mercedes being so far in front in qualifying and then merc getting a 1-2 in the race. Looks like it is going to be that type of season again where Merc win and the rest are fighting for 3rd.

I still think F1 is slowly killing the sport with Mercedes being so far in front in qualifying and then merc getting a 1-2 in the race. Looks like it is going to be that type of season again where Merc win and the rest are fighting for 3rd.
Blame Ferrari for Mercedes win in Australia. Poor tire strategy cost them a win. Can't blame Merecdes for capitalizing on a mistake, nor should they be penalized for having a winning car and drivers.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 315 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years