2016 Ford GT steals the Detroit Motor Show

all-newfordgt_01_hr.jpg

The Ford GT has undeniably been a revolutionary car, throughout its generations. The GT40 made history taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the 1966 24 Hours of LeMans. The 2005 GT won multiple awards for its remarkable chassis, and was given the prestigious title of “supercar”. Today, the 2016 Ford GT has stolen the attention of the Detroit Motor Show.

Along with the radical looks, the new GT features the most powerful production EcoBoost engine ever made – a twin turbo V6 boasting more than 600 hp. Which, of course, meets the requirements for entry into next year’s World Endurance Championship’s LM GTE class.

all-newfordgt_03_hr.jpg

The GT’s design has focused on shedding weight, incorporating aluminium and carbon fibre into as much as possible - even down to carbon fibre wheels, to give the best acceleration and handling possible. The body has been reshaped with attention to reducing drag, and a first for the GT’s, active aero. An adjustable push rod suspension and “active racing-style” torsion bar ensures a firm grip through the corners.

all-newfordgt_09_hr.jpg

The GT seems to have abandoned the usual sense of Ford tradition, trading off the weighty V8 for the efficiency of the twin turbo V6 and including a flappy paddle transmission rather than the traditional H pattern gearbox. This may leave some fans feeling that the GT is missing something, despite what appears to be a sure performance legend.

For those fans, Ford has also announced the new Shelby GT350R. Throw out the excess luxuries and get down to pure V8 sports car performance. The GT350R is the lightened version of the 2016 Shelby GT350, minus the luxuries of rear seats and air conditioning.

ShelbyGT350R_02_HR.jpg

The GT350 already boasts Ford’s most powerful naturally aspirated, production V8 ever made. Not only is it powerful, it’s also the first flat plane crankshaft layout V8 to be used in a production Mustang.

The GT350 also includes the first magnetically controlled variable suspension to be used in a Mustang. Yet another first for Mustangs, the GT350 creates downforce through more aggressive and track focused aero, including a carbon fibre rear wing on the GT350R. So it certainly appears the GT350 is to be a new breed of Mustang which includes the latest in performance technology. Mustang enthusiast or not, this is sure to be a revolution in the world of American sports cars.

NSX_Exterior_1.jpg

Seemingly overshadowed by the news of the GT, Acura has unveiled a new version of their own supercar, the NSX. Aside from the stunning looks, Acura hasn't said much in terms of specifics. What we do know, is that the car features a twin turbo, mid mounted V6 feeding power to all four tyres and aims to compete with supercar legends such as the Ferrari 458.

NSX_Interior_1.jpg

Acura was not alone in the shadows, also revealed was the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider and the 2015 Mini John Cooper Works.

150112_Alfa-Romeo_4C-Spider-US-version_15.jpg

The 4C Spider promises to maintain all the joy of the coupe with the freedom of a spider, a combination Alfa fans everywhere look forward to.

P90167726-mini-john-cooper-works-12-2014-599px.jpg

The Mini John Cooper Works offers 228 horsepower and some quite radical looks for a base price of $30,600 USD. The John Cooper Works is “specially tuned for high performance on the track and on the road,” and, of course, the most powerful production engine installed to a production Mini.

It would seem the age of American muscle cars featuring massive V8 motors and live rear axles is drawing to an end, something which is hated by some and embraced by others. Supercars today are becoming faster, lighter, more technologically advanced and best of all, closer to being affordable. What are your thoughts on the changes being made on the latest high performance cars?

Sources: Media.Ford.com, Acura.com, BMW Group.com, AlfaRomeoPress.com

Last edited:
The Ford is so disappointing. Rear lights of a Ferrari, front vents of a Lambo, squarier steering wheel of a LaFerrari (yes, I still watch Sponge Bob), door intakes of a McLaren...Ford...WHY????

That Ford GT is a sexy looking bugger!

EDIT: Got rid of the anal-retentive spell checking.

Last edited:
I am actually one of the few who thinks the Ford from example the Blancpain series is a extremely sexy car. :inlove:
The 2 first pictures, looks very similar to it, but more spaced up! Me likes!

Reactions: Rob
that GT's back looks sexy as f... but I don't quite like the front, the black carbon fiber thing doesn't do it any favors IMO, the Mustang looks very modern, and if the NSX launch was overshadowed by the GT then poor Acura, there's been a lot of hype about the NSX, they've must have been preparing that car forever, it looks pretty cool too

Do cars really have nationalities these days? I could go on forever about who makes what parts and where in addition to the ownership of these giants, especially Ford. To me, it's not surprising Ford is going this route, but you can best believe, the classic muscle car will not soon die. Well, semi-classic. Emission Rules killed the real ones.

I'm looking forward to the day where neck snapping torque can be paired with decent horsepower in a long-range electric car for an affordable price.

The Ford is so disappointing. Rear lights of a Ferrari, front vents of a Lambo, squarier steering wheel of a LaFerrari (yes, I still watch Sponge Bob), door intakes of a McLaren...Ford...WHY????
those rear lights are longer used on the ford gt40 and ford gt, then on a ferrari... only that the laferrari, 458 and others have those lights is because they where stolen from ford.

The Ford is absolutely stunning. The aero of the car will be huge judging by its architechture. It looks as if it's setup for top speed due to the tear drop shape from the bird eye view, also the front and rear overhangs are rather long compared to current hyper cars suggesting stability at higher speeds. Can't wait for this, and.... Assetto has the license to Ford products, guess they knew something we didn't :p.

More inportantly the 350R, I'd have that over many if not all the current offerings from Europe, and I'm a huge BMW fan. This pony car is a (*&#$%&*^ beast.

I have to say, I'm particularly drawn to the GT350 in general let alone the GT350R. The thing looks and sounds amazing. If you search around there is some videos of it being tested on the nurburgring. I've never really wanted a Mustang, but this one is definitely in my dream garage.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 381 39.7%