2015 Formula One Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course he will make mistakes, it was his first one this season! I believe his penalty is fair, but after that OK, making one mistake in your sixth race in F1, being 17 years old is not as tragic as many people make it look like.

You are right, it was something that even a seasoned veterans sometimes make. But i still stand on his earlier overtakes in the season, he has the habit of overbraking himself and at the last minute avoiding accidents.. That is something that only comes with experience, overtaking takes patience and you have to ditch several times where you could theoretically overtake, provided the guy in front has eyes on his back. Grosjean did same kind of things but he was very unlucky, meaning he hit people. Max has been very lucky.. I just hope this wont turn on him mentally, for Grosjean it meant he just made worse and worse mistakes, then lost all pace and rhythm for the rest of the season. I'm also sure that Max felt a bit snubbed when Romain did maybe the best defensive move of this decade few laps earlier :) But boy, does that 17 year old have talent.. I do expect a loss of pace from both Toro Rosso drivers in Canada thou...

When you are following a driver, you have to brake earlier than him. Loss of downforce, reaction time, physics.. But there is a peculiar phenomenon when following a driver; you can double your brake distance and still gain time as your reference point is a moving target. It is very odd but drivers like Alonso is brilliant at this, glueing himself on the rear at the moment the speed of both cars is at the minimum. Trying to judge 1m distances in 300km/h is totally different that doing it at 50km/h. But then again, Button did the same thing earlier this season, also with Lotus so maybe Lotus does have brake temp issues, inconsistency between laps that forces the drivers to vary their brake distances.. I know that i'm horribly to follow, my brake distances vary a lot while lap speed stays the same. But i ain't alone, even guys that are usually set in stone can have variable brake distances... Kimi has been hit behind by inexperienced driver too in Monaco and in that case, he did have earlier brake point than in the previous laps...

It is a tough problem that one, no clear answers.

Last edited:
What? I watched every race of last year's Euro F3 championship, and he rarely, if ever, did something stupid. It's just inexperience with F1 cars in that stuff happen a lot quicker - but that would have happened regardless of whether he's 17 or 30.

And I bet you it's the last time he does this.

It looked bad, but Grosjean also braked a lot earlier than before, so it's pretty 50/50 really. Even experienced heads like Schumacher, Villeneuve, Webber etc. did similar things with many more years' experience. So, if people want to blame Max's age for this, then fine, but then you need to tell me what the reasons are for the aforementioned drivers doing the same thing, and if you find the reason, explain why you can't apply it to Max in this situation.

my question why on earth did FOM not show this on the normal broadcast, unless I missed something I'm certain they never shown this live so I take it, this was the piece of wing in the middle of the track at the chicane, I wonder if they would've shown it if it was Max so we could all be like, wow look at this kid he's amazing, but because its sainz who is really in the shadow of Max in the media's eyes oh we won't bother

wasn't it the piece of Max's wing there too after he made contact with a Lotus? Sure, it's clear Sainz lost a bit of wing too, but so did Max. I didn't see this bit of footage on the live coverage though, only when Max lost his wing.

Man, that was close:
11118061_10153339502329911_4549222350842920208_n.png

r.e. verstappen mistake
well, you see similar mistakes from guys like maldonado and grosjean among others, so if it's a one off no really big deal should be made about it. They've all made some mistakes over the years - including Hamilton, Alonso and Button.

The guy is super talented, really fast but will make "grosjean" type mistakes a lot lot more this season. Too young, too inepxerienced, too hot headed. He has basically avoided half a dozen of accidents that are now deemed as "brilliant overtaking".. Bullshit, he has outbraked himself and barely managed to slow the car down multiple times.. Good driver, 4 years too soon in F1. I hope he doesn't ruin his entire career because i really want to see him in a RBR or some other top team..

I said basically the same after chinese GP http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/2015-formula-one-chinese-grand-prix.103596/page-4#post-1979408 you can hardly call a maneuver brilliant if half of the merit is the other car saving the day by not crashing into your blind dive

I said basically the same after chinese GP http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/2015-formula-one-chinese-grand-prix.103596/page-4#post-1979408 you can hardly call a maneuver brilliant if half of the merit is the other car saving the day by not crashing into your blind dive

Tell that to the people who say it are brilliant maneuvers that have actually driven F1 themselves.:D

I have seen other more experienced drivers making similar moves this year with actually locking their tires and still ending up behind the driver they trying to overtake and actually needed multiple tries to get passed someone. He actually made all his moves stick the very first attempt without locking tires and still managing to turn the car while under hard braking.

But yeah I guess we are not used to this type of racing anymore and you most likely prefer train riding to the finish.;)

The only one that was over the limit in my opinion was the one on Ericcson in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back