2015 Formula One Hungarian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
hungary gp preview.jpg

The Hungarian Grand Prix usually marks the half-way point in the Formula 1 World Championship, the end of the season's first half before a lengthy summer break allows the teams to prepare for the beginning of the second half. But this year, it is the beginning of something much more important: a healing process for the entire Formula 1 family, and the entire world of motorsport.

Even as Jules Bianchi was laid to rest on Tuesday in his home town of Nice, the memory of the late French driver will be on the minds of every Formula 1 driver and team member this weekend. Bianchi's number 17 is now retired from the championship, and before the race, a minutes' silence will be observed in his honor. Every driver will race with a heavy heart. Around this time a year ago, Bianchi had topped a test session at Silverstone driving a Ferrari, and last year at this race he used every ounce of his skill to wheel his Marussia into Q2 for the second of what would become three consecutive Grands Prix - as Kimi Raikkonen, the former World Champion he would have succeeded at Ferrari before tragedy intervened in October, imploded in Q1.

That was just another great Hungarian Grand Prix moment, and this year will mark the thirtieth consecutive running of the race at the Hungaroring near Budapest. The circuit itself is often criticized for its lack of overtaking opportunities. Similar to Monaco and, from years past, Magny-Cours in France, the Hungaroring's abundance of low-to-medium speed corners and constant changes in direction, which make it a favourite to drive on for many of the drivers on the grid, make it difficult for drivers to find a way past other cars during a race. Even after modifications to the track in 2003 and the introduction of DRS in 2011, passing is at such a premium at the Hungaroring that very rarely has the race winner started off the back row of the grid.

So when Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo ran down the leading duo of Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton in the closing laps of a wet/dry race last year, making bold passes on the former World Champions on worn tyres, and won what may well have been the most thrilling race in the 2014 season - it was a very special occasion.

Funny thing is, the Hungaroring has been a host venue to quite a few memorable moments in its thirty-year history, from Nigel Mansell's astonishing winning drive from twelfth on the grid in 1989 that proved that you can indeed overtake at the Hungaroring, to Damon Hill nearly winning the 1997 race for perennial midfielders Arrows if not for that now-infamous 25p washer, to Michael Schumacher's warp-speed short stints in 1998 that secured one of his record-tying four victories at the circuit. A total of four first-time winners have been crowned in Hungary, including Fernando Alonso's crushing first victory in 2003, and Jenson Button's shock first win in 2006 from fourteenth on the grid in the first-ever wet race in Hungary. Fact is, there are more respected and revered F1 venues that haven't seen a fraction of this sort of drama and intrigue in their time on the calendar.

hungary preview alonso.jpg

Even with the evolving geographical makeup of the Formula 1 calendar and expansion into further reaches of Asia and the Middle East, the Hungaroring still holds a prime place on the F1 calendar. Despite the unfair stigma of being a dull race and summer temperatures reaching Ridiculous° C, the race draws capacity crowds every single year - thanks to its prime location near the heart of picturesque Budapest, and a large contingent of Finnish fans that show up every year to make this race, in essence, a home grand prix for their heroes, Kimi Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas. That the race will continue to be held into the next decade - 2021 to be exact - should therefore not be too much of a surprise.

Speaking of things that aren't surprising in the least, Lewis Hamilton is the clear-cut favorite to win in Hungary. The Mercedes AMG team are favorites to win at virtually every track, claiming eight of nine victories so far this season, but Hamilton owns a record-tying four victories here at this track, and could have made it five a year ago even after starting the race from pit lane. Invigorated by his British Grand Prix victory and the bold strategy call that did indeed pay off for him three weeks ago, Hamilton looks unassailable to all including his teammate, Nico Rosberg - his home track may be at Silverstone, but Lewis Hamilton (pictured below, driving in practice last year) owns the Hungaroring.

hungary preview hamilton.jpg

Even though Hungary is one of the few remaining venues in which four-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel has not won, Ferrari's new ace will enjoy another weekend with very little pressure compared to his teammate across the garage. Kimi Raikkonen is rumored to be out the door at Ferrari come the end of this season, and really cannot afford another sub-par outing or costly mistake at a track in which he has won before - but that was ten years, three teams, and two generations of powerplants ago.

Further back, Hungary potentially presents a brief shift in power for those teams not named Mercedes. The low-speed, technical nature of the Hungaroring will put the emphasis on aerodynamics and downforce over power. In theory, this means you can expect a very strong showing from both Red Bull and Toro Rosso, who boast two of the best chassis in F1, yet lack reliability from Renault. Despite that and being the defending winner of the race, Ricciardo still has a massive task ahead of him to repeat here in Hungary. You can also expect a rare opportunity for the McLaren Honda chassis to flex its muscle and perhaps score points with one of its two World Champion drivers aboard.

Force India say they've got the upgrades out of the VJM08B to make them extremely competitive here, and they're also riding the wave of post-Le Mans confidence from Nico Hulkenberg. This potentially leaves Williams as the odd team out - they don't excel at these sorts of circuits, but Felipe Massa has expressed confidence in the recent upgrades to the FW37 that should help them maintain their form from recent races.

Lastly, Manor picked up their best result of the season when Roberto Merhi finished twelfth at Silverstone, and this weekend they'll be a sentimental favorite to defy the odds and get back in the points for the first time since Monaco 2014. It will be an incredibly difficult fight to get there, even if attrition is high, but what a story it would be.

The Hungarian Grand Prix may turn out to be a processional, predictable race, or it could turn out like last year's event did - a thrilling, pulse-pounding, instant classic for the ages. But with the black cloud of Formula 1's greatest tragedy in a generation still yet to disappear from over the paddock, it is the sincerest hope of surely all who follow this great sport that this race is a safe event for every driver, mechanic, and spectator there.

Image Credit: Pirelli

Last edited by a moderator:
What a optimistic move by Riccardo, feel sorry for Rosberg. Hamilton on the other hand got off really easy - lucky man despite his adventures today he extends his lead. Great result for Kvyat, Verstappen and Alonso. Quite a memorable race in my opinion unlike the most of Hungarian GP's. Enjoyed it a lot, especially the second half. As for Kimi... shame.... should have been a 1-2 for Ferrari.

Last edited:
What a dickhead move by Riccardo, feel sorry for Rosberg. Hamilton on the other hand got off really easy - lucky man despite his adventures today he extends his lead. Great result for Kvyat, Verstappen and Alonso. Quite a memorable race in my opinion unlike the most of Hungarian GP's. Enjoyed it a lot, especially the second half. As for Kimi... shame.... should have been a 1-2 for Ferrari.

I disagree, it is either a race incident or Rosberg squeezing too much. Where should have Ric gone?

What a dickhead move by Riccardo, feel sorry for Rosberg. Hamilton on the other hand got off really easy - lucky man despite his adventures today he extends his lead. Great result for Kvyat, Verstappen and Alonso. Quite a memorable race in my opinion unlike the most of Hungarian GP's. Enjoyed it a lot, especially the second half. As for Kimi... shame.... should have been a 1-2 for Ferrari.

No. It will teach Rosberg, and hopefully others too, not to try intimidation tactics like pushing drivers still alongside them off the track. Rosberg was pretty fortunate not to get a penalty himself.

The past 3 years the Huungarian GP is one of the best. Last year, well pure epicness,
this year unbelievable....
As for Rosberg, he was very reckless to try a move like that.The incident was
clearely his fault, and thus instead of cutting Hamilton's lead he completely
wasted his chance.

Damn, I missed the GP. I wanted to watch it but somehow I forgot about it ... I wonder if there's some source to watch it again, does anyone know?

• Deleted member 161052

My reaction:
"...and Sebastian Vettel, he comes into the final corner, this is going to be his 41st victory, as he breaks the record of most victories, of...AYRTON, AYRTON, AYYYYYYRTON SENNA DO BRASIL!!!"

When Vettel just won the race, I played Tema da Vítoria because Vettel became the next Senna. :D

Very nice to see RB get two podiums. And nice to see Mercedes nowhere near it. It's funny to see them crack whenever they get a tiny bit of pressure applied to them :laugh:

Also I find it funny that everyone keeps going on about "the big summer break" now when they've just had a 3 week break :cautious: They have too many breaks.

That was a memorable race. I found the move from Ricciardo a bit opportunistic though.

Glad for both Red Bulls, Verstappen (which closed the gap of Torro Rosso to the top 5 in the constructors championship to 7 points) and the McLarens who finally both scored points.

Entertaining race. I have two questions:
1. Why did they put the hard tires on Rosbergs car for his final stint? Must have been a mistake from the team, or what?
2. I think I noticed something about a penalty for Verstappen. Did he take his penalty? and yet could finish in fourth?

Entertaining race. I have two questions:
1. Why did they put the hard tires on Rosbergs car for his final stint? Must have been a mistake from the team, or what?
2. I think I noticed something about a penalty for Verstappen. Did he take his penalty? and yet could finish in fourth?
I also saw that, he was only 6 seconds ahead of Alonso when it was shown he got the penalty, yet apparently after the penalty we was still ahead of Alonso, by a margin too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%