2014 Formula One Belgian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
In retrospect, yes it would be more wise for Hamilton to just put the car in the garage and spare the engine for future races, but that said I'm not a fan of giving up mid race, it's one of the virtues of Alonso that I highly respect, he NEVER gives up! You never know what's gonna happen in the race, a safety car and some rain could very well have put Hamilton into points position yesterday.

This was a tiny incident that would have gone almost uncommented on anywhere else down the grid. It was far more likely to damage the nosecone than cause a puncture. It is only of major consequence to Mercedes as a team. It was not intentional.
I would never trust Lewis's version of what was said in the meeting, his interpretation is usually the most pessimistic he can find, & his comments are calculated to fuel the media against Rosberg - very uncool.

It is blatantly obvious to anyone with a brain that Rosberg would say he went for the overtake on purpose & would not back down, it is very sad that it should be interpreted and conveyed to the press so poorly.

Lewis didn't give up.
He couldn't physically drive any faster. His floor was completely destroyed and it would have been smarter to retire the car, save the engine mileage (which is even more important after he lost an engine in Hungary qualifying), for the rest of the season.
And then critics try to turn this around on him as if he gave up and threw his toys out of the pram.
It's complete rubbish, and not at all a fair accusation.
Retiring earlier would've been the smartest thing to do!

Also, to say he should've had better reaction to the crash is also wrong! It wasn't his fault, of course he has every right to be pissed off with Nico. It was 100% Nico's fault!

Also, I'd like to add that just 1 lap prior to the incident, Vettel tried the exact same move on Lewis at the same place, and was even further ahead than Nico was, and he had the presence of mind to back out of it.

I'm not even going to comment on this anymore. I'm so angry about what has happened, and then people have the audacity to lay blame at Lewis. It's utterly ridiculous!
Vettel outbroke himself into that corner and I am sure he would have stayed around the outside if he felt that he could get the position like nico thought. As I said before button and Alonso went side by side through there and I am sure that nico and Hamilton could do the same thing.

A very entertaining race with a lot of battles throughout the race. Well done for Ricciardo. And about the Mercedes incident. Just my two cents. Stupid move from Rosberg. But hey, those drivers act like superman but in the end they are human and do make mistakes. I don't think Rosberg intentionally took out Hamilton. I saw a lot of those hits during the season and thet don't all result in a puncture (look how Alonso lost his front wing during this race) so the outcome of the hit could easily have been that Rosberg lost a great portion of his front wing and Hamilton had no problem at all and drove along. So despite all the conspiracy theories that I read in this thread in the end it was just another racing incident with huge consequences for Mercedes and especially for Hamilton

Must admit that I was rooting for Ricciardo to win this, the guy has secured himself a spot as one of my favorite drivers this season, really impressed with him, both on track and off!
Also great to see Kimi finally getting it right again!

I feel sometimes like I don't want to get involved in discussions relating to some kind of controversy where Hamilton is involved.
It always results in people's points and opinions becoming heavily biased based on their personal opinions of him.

Ermmm guys....

8VVxv3g.png

You call this not wanting to back out???

This is what I don't like about Lewis fans. They know Lewis, and??? And??? Nobody else.

Rosberg was too agressive, but noticed his mistake, and look at this, you should still give room? How cautious off a driver are you if you don't even know that somebody's front wing is right next to your rear tire?

I think the fingerpointing at Rosberg has reached critical mass due to all the Hamilton fans who are drama queens just as much as their idol.

Now that I brought up at least one third of the forum against me, let me give my view before you call me a Rosbareg fanboy (I am German and I like seeing Germans win races, that's it as far as Rosberg is concerned.):
Yes, it was a risky move and making it so early in the race was stupid. But no way in hell Hamilton didn't know he would clip Rosberg by taking the apex there. While it may not be exactly a 50/50 responsibility, Hamilton should take at least some responsibility for the incident. Still, if I had to point a finger, I would point at Rosberg, but I won't point because racing is racing and incidents happen, no need to get salty, especially if you want to see close, competitive racing which is not possible without incidents.

Also how hypocritical do you have to be to boo a driver for a mistake on the podium on the grounds of him not being enough of a sportsman on the track?

The fact of the matter is that Rosberg would've definitely know that the move won't stick but made a conscious decision not to back out, knowing well that this would happen.
If anyone's driving desperately it's Nico, he's the one who knows this might be his best chance to get a championship.

To me this video shows Nico making two decisions, his breaking is done by this time.
  1. While turning right. OOps! I am not going to make it! I will go off track. He turns left to go strait.
  2. Noo! I am clear now. he turns right to get back his original track. Unfortunately the clear was not quite clear.
I see no intent here just a fraction of a miss calculation which a lot of folks read as intent.
We see a lot of these guys get so close at times and there are some close shaves, at some point they are going to get it wrong and in this case it happen. Racing incident! done and dusted as it has been said before.

The fact of the matter is that Rosberg would've definitely know that the move won't stick but made a conscious decision not to back out, knowing well that this would happen.
If anyone's driving desperately it's Nico, he's the one who knows this might be his best chance to get a championship.
He made a valid lunge to try and put himself there by breaking late, not quite enough though putting himself in a tight spot now have a look at this
getting it really wrong!

I think the fingerpointing at Rosberg has reached critical mass due to all the Hamilton fans who are drama queens just as much as their idol.

Now that I brought up at least one third of the forum against me, let me give my view before you call me a Rosbareg fanboy (I am German and I like seeing Germans win races, that's it as far as Rosberg is concerned.):
Yes, it was a risky move and making it so early in the race was stupid. But no way in hell Hamilton didn't know he would clip Rosberg by taking the apex there. While it may not be exactly a 50/50 responsibility, Hamilton should take at least some responsibility for the incident. Still, if I had to point a finger, I would point at Rosberg, but I won't point because racing is racing and incidents happen, no need to get salty, especially if you want to see close, competitive racing which is not possible without incidents.

Also how hypocritical do you have to be to boo a driver for a mistake on the podium on the grounds of him not being enough of a sportsman on the track?
Wait. Wait. What???? What in the name of god has just happened? SOMEONE ACTUALLY HAS THE SAME OPINION AS ME ABOUT ROSBERG AND HAMILTON :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Holy mother of god. Thanks man :giggle: Love seeing people like you :D

Wait. Wait. What???? What in the name of god has just happened? SOMEONE ACTUALLY HAS THE SAME OPINION AS ME ABOUT ROSBERG AND HAMILTON :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Holy mother of god. Thanks man :giggle: Love seeing people like you :D
Not that I am a fan of either Rosberg or Hamilton Both have their merits and are awesome racers in their own way.
I feel the media and some fan base has taken this to the extremes, same for Monaco, if Monaco did not happen then this would be, ho! so much less of an issue

Not that I am a fan of either Rosberg or Hamilton Both have their merits and are awesome racers in their own way.
I feel the media and some fan base has taken this to the extremes, same for Monaco, if Monaco did not happen then this would be, ho! so much less of an issue
I like both drivers and how they drive. But as you said, incidents happen and why the heck does he have to make it sound like Hamilton is a 5 year old. Just why???

don't know why people are even defending nico,
his even said he did it on purpose and that's not something anyone would lie about.
Guy deserves a 2 race ban to give out a strong message.
Malice moves are not allowed.

his even said he did it on purpose and that's not something anyone would lie about.
Please link me to a website telling me about this.

Please link me to a website telling me about this.
After the race and following a heated team meeting, Lewis Hamilton told the written press that Rosberg had admitted he did it “on purpose” as he had wanted to ‘make a point” when they crashed on the second lap of the race.
Well look at that... Hamilton told them... Are they stupid enough to beleive Hamilton?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%