2013 World Rally Championship

Don't see a thread for this yet? So thought I'd make one :)

A-snowy-start-to-2013_articlethumbnail.jpg

Sebastion Loeb has won the 2013 Monte Carlo rally after the last 2 stages (Stage 17 and 18) were cancelled on safety grounds because too many spectators turned up (and people say no-one watches rallying anymore :roflmao:). This is Loeb's 77th WRC victory overall, and his 7th in Monte Carlo.

“I’m always happy when I win, and Monte Carlo is one of the most exciting rallies I’ve done. This one was really, really difficult. The conditions were extreme compared to what we have usually and winning wasn’t easy,” said Loeb.

The final night in the mountains above Monaco produced dramas galore. Three of the top seven on the leaderboard, Evgeny Novikov, Jari-Matti Latvala and Juho Hanninen crashed out in awful conditions on the first pass of the mythical Col de Turini stage.

Sebastion Ogier, driving the VW Polo R making its proper WRC debut, finished 2nd overall. This is a good result for Ogier considering that Loeb is only contesting 4 of the 13 rounds of the championship this year.

Spain’s Dani Sordo took third place for Citroen after a battle with Russian Evgeny Novikov, whose hopes disappeared when he hit a mountain wall and lost the rear left wheel of his Ford.

Citroen’s Mikko Hirvonen finished fourth.

The second round of the championship is in Sweden next month.

Standings so far:

1. Sebastion Loeb - 25 (Citroen DS3)
2. Sebastion Ogier - 18 (VW Polo R)
3. Dani Sordo - 15 (Citroen DS3)
4. Miko Hirvonnen - 12 (Citroen DS3)
5. Bryan Bouffier - 10 (Citroen DS3)
6. Mads Ostberg - 8 (Ford Fiesta)
7. Martin Prokop - 6 (Ford Fiesta)
8. Sepp Wiegand - 4 (Skoda Fabia S2000)
9. Olivier Burri - 2 (Peugeot S2000)
10. Michael Kosciuszko - 1 (Mini Cooper)

I really enjoyed watching Evgeny on the highlights, he seemed to really be enjoying himself, was gutted to see him off on day 4.

The Polo looks quite good, I'm glad it's competitive and not dominant, as that would surely be boring to watch.

Definitely think it's gonna be between Ogier and Hirvonen this year, I don't think Mads is experienced enough to take it down.

Definitely reckon it's gonna be a good season though, we got quite a few guys capable of winning events, so each Rally should be something to look forward too.

I'm not sure if I like the Ford livery though... :/

Andreas Scholz i'm not sure why Kremer didn't score points towards the overall WRC championship though. maybe it's because the Group N Subaru is not eligible to score points in that category, for some reason. these WRC rules confuse the heck out of me sometimes, i must be honest.

Andreas Scholz i'm not sure why Kremer didn't score points towards the overall WRC championship though. maybe it's because the Group N Subaru is not eligible to score points in that category, for some reason. these WRC rules confuse the heck out of me sometimes, i must be honest.

iRallyLive has Kremer placed at 11th. Kremer did finish second in WRC2 though, and Burri has no points in the WRC2, although he finished ahead of Kremer? Dunno why Burri was ineligible for WRC2.

iRallyLive has Kremer placed at 11th. Kremer did finish second in WRC2 though, and Burri has no points in the WRC2, although he finished ahead of Kremer? Dunno why Burri was ineligible for WRC2.

ok cool, thanks for clearing that up, i got a bit confused somewhere along the lines with all these categories :giggle: on wrc.com Burri isn't listed at all under the WRC2 points table. i guess maybe he is only eligible to score points towards WRC then.

Indeed Kremer finished 11th, so no WRC (1) points for him. My German motorsports magazine gives him 18 point in WRC 2, so this seems correct.

First thought: Burri has not registered to score points in the 2013 WRC 2 season. At least he never did so the last years?

First thought: Burri has not registered to score points in the 2013 WRC 2 season. At least he never did so the last years?

I'd think so, any other explanation and he'd probably walk away with 0 WRC points as well. I'm really curious about this now :p. Does anyone know why he didn't register? They (FIA) changed the rules so you don't need to contest all 7 rounds now, didn't they?

I'd think so, any other explanation and he'd probably walk away with 0 WRC points as well. I'm really curious about this now :p. Does anyone know why he didn't register? They (FIA) changed the rules so you don't need to contest all 7 rounds now, didn't they?

the rules are as follows, according to wikipedia:

• In the WRC Championship, entries registered as manufacturers must enter all thirteen rounds of the championship with a minimum of two cars. These teams may score drivers' and manufacturers' championship points at every round they enter.
  • Major entries that are registered as WRC teams but not as manufacturers must take part in at least seven events – including at least one outside Europe – with a one or two-car team. These teams are eligible to score manufacturers' points if the cars entered meet the homologation of those cars that are entered by teams registered as manufacturers.
  • In the WRC-2 Championship – open to R5, R4, Super 2000 and N4 cars – teams must contest at least seven events, with their best six results from the first seven events they enter being counted towards their final points tally. There will be no penalty for missing rounds.
  • In the WRC-3 Championship – open to two-wheel-drive cars conforming to the FIA's R1, R2 and R3 technical regulations – teams must contest at least six events, with their best five results from the first seven events they enter being counted towards their final points tally. There will be no penalty for missing rounds.
  • The Junior WRC Championship will be open to drivers under the age of twenty-six. All teams will contest the same six events—the Rallies of Portugal, Greece, Finland, Germany, France andCatalunya—with their five best results counting towards their final score.

the rules are as follows, according to wikipedia:
  • In the WRC-2 Championship – open to R5, R4, Super 2000 and N4 cars – teams must contest at least seven events, with their best six results from the first seven events they enter being counted towards their final points tally. There will be no penalty for missing rounds.

I mistook that bit as meaning you could enter only as many events as you like. :p Was a while ago I read those rules.

Well, looking at Olivier Burri's wikipedia page, it seems he only enters the Monte Carlo Rallye (and one French + Swiss once), so I'd say he is a local who enters the Monte Carlo. I'd hazard a guess that he just hasn't signed up to any of the WRC categories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Burri

I mistook that bit as meaning you could enter only as many events as you like. :p Was a while ago I read those rules.

Well, looking at Olivier Burri's wikipedia page, it seems he only enters the Monte Carlo Rallye (and one French + Swiss once), so I'd say he is a local who enters the Monte Carlo. I'd hazard a guess that he just hasn't signed up to any of the WRC categories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Burri

thanks mate, yeah it does seem like he only does the monte carlo. Ken Block is another who only does a few events, he's doing 3 rallies this year and is not officially registered for any of the categories.

personally i find it strange that the WRC administration can allow people to score points who aren't registered for any of the official categories. i mean if Burri or Block, for example, score a few points they are taking points away from other people officially registered who are contesting the different championships. there should be some rule where you are only eligible to score points if you compete in at least six of the 13 events and are officially registered in one of the categories, something like that.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 128 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 471 39.0%