2013 Testing Master Thread

Hmm, if Marussia could dig that Cosworth engine for an other one, they might be 1 sec per lap faster. Also since Marussia is the only team with that engine..
It shows clearly that the Caterham has the worst aero of all..

Time difference in Q1 at Monza between Kovalainen and Glock was 7 tenths. At Monza, KERS probably makes up half a second. At that time of the season, Marussia had better aero than Caterham (one race later Gock got P12 in Singapore). Glock often won the starts against the Caterhams (but later fell back behind them because of KERS), so the engine can't have been that horrible. All in all, I'd estimate that the difference probably is about half a second.

Quote from Maldonado after Williams switched:
"It's a big difference between the Renault and the engine we had last year - Not only in terms of power but in terms of maps and things to do," he said.

When two teams are put next to each other it means they are on the same step FYI.

Nice read, here´s one from his driver.
Mercedes will surprise - Raikkonen
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/443780/Mercedes_will_surprise__Raikkonen/

Formula 1: Gary Anderson impressed by Mercedes speed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21650843

And some more,

As the sun set on the final day of pre-season testing late on Sunday, the words on everyone’s lips were Mercedes and Red Bull.
“Everyone is saying that this Mercedes is fast. Consistently fast,” said respected Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt.
Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko added: “(It is fast) at least on one lap. But at least we do have to take them really seriously.”
McLaren sporting director Sam Michael agrees: “Hamilton and Rosberg have been quick in all circumstances.”

"You can clearly see Mercedes are fast," he said. "They have been fast all the time. They look like they've got their car together.

Auto Motor und Sport (German magazine) did an article on how Red Bull is struggling: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-welche-rolle-spielt-der-auspuff-6741313.html

Essentially, they have problems with balance, setting the car up, getting the upgrades to work and dealing with the tyres (those things are not conjecture, they were confirmed by RB team members). AMS speculate that it might have something to do with the engine map regulations, and how Renault was forbidden from using new ones (which they did not know yet at the first two tests).

It's also kind of funny how certain people here were saying that Hamilton was throwing his career away, called the car crap after the launch and all of a sudden Merc is on top of everything ;)

When two teams are put next to each other it means they are on the same step FYI.

Nice read, here´s one from his driver.
Mercedes will surprise - Raikkonen
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/443780/Mercedes_will_surprise__Raikkonen/

Formula 1: Gary Anderson impressed by Mercedes speed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21650843

And some more,

As the sun set on the final day of pre-season testing late on Sunday, the words on everyone’s lips were Mercedes and Red Bull.
“Everyone is saying that this Mercedes is fast. Consistently fast,” said respected Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt.
Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko added: “(It is fast) at least on one lap. But at least we do have to take them really seriously.”
McLaren sporting director Sam Michael agrees: “Hamilton and Rosberg have been quick in all circumstances.”

"You can clearly see Mercedes are fast," he said. "They have been fast all the time. They look like they've got their car together.

u realize how deep you are sticking your foot in your mouth,if your copy/paste jobs from F1 Technical end up being wrong,right F1 Statistics Guru? :)

u realize how deep you are sticking your foot in your mouth,if your copy/paste jobs from F1 Technical end up being wrong,right F1 Statistics Guru? :)
Those are not copy and pasted from F1T..
Some have been posted there, hell i even posted some there.

Well looking at it like this, if i´m wrong, let´s say Mercedes is Top 5 at best.
That´s perfectly fine because all the links/data we have is from a cold track in Barcelona and some from Jerez.

But if you are wrong...boy of boy i don´t even know how you are going to react lol.
I´m guessing leaving Internet and moving to Botswana or something along those lines.

You have to understand for me, i have always thought Mercedes won´t win the championship next year. (i.e. this year)
My money is on 2014. However, most articles show that the Mercedes isn´t a crap car this year and it has respectable tire wear.

The problem with you is Schumacher was replaced by a better driver. And if he enjoys success?
Let´s just say i will stick around to watch the show.

P.S. I did not write those articles and neither did F1T.... i hope you know that.

I just read an interesting point made by someone on another site. Could the reason for Mercedes's supposed pace be that the car puts a lot more heat into the tyres than the other teams thus giving them a benefit on a cold track. This begs the question, if this is true how will they cope at warm tracks like Australia and Malaysia ?​

I just read an interesting point made by someone on another site. Could the reason for Mercedes's supposed pace be that the car puts a lot more heat into the tyres than the other teams thus giving them a benefit on a cold track. This begs the question, if this is true how will they cope at warm tracks like Australia and Malaysia ?
Or Bahrain.

Yes that is the question.

Just listened to a podcast from BBC, previewing the upcoming season. It's a good listen for those of you interested - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lspecials

Edit - Some really interesting bits from inside McLaren's factory with James Allen, a short interview with Lewis Hamilton and they talk to the original stig from Top Gear :)

This is a great podcast series. Started listening to it mid-season last year and thought it was really great. I definitely back up your recommendation!

I just read an interesting point made by someone on another site. Could the reason for Mercedes's supposed pace be that the car puts a lot more heat into the tyres than the other teams thus giving them a benefit on a cold track. This begs the question, if this is true how will they cope at warm tracks like Australia and Malaysia ?
It's a possibility, but don't forget that they also had terrible race pace in the cold at the start of last season (Malaysia).

Pretty interesting article from a guy who used to work at Red Bull and Ferrari.
It´s in Italian but lets google translate it into English (i found it much easier to read then for me Swedish translation)

His ranking of the cars is,

Red Bull / Mclaren
Mercedes / Lotus / Ferrari
Toro Rosso
Sauber / Williams
Force India
Marussia / Caterham

(if they are on one line they are equal incase a certain someone fails to understand it)

http://www.blogf1.it/2013/03/05/pre-season-analysis-cosa-abbiamo-imparato-dai-test/

He thinks pole will be between HAM, VET or BUT.
Will be interesting to see if he´s right.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back