2013 Race of Champions called off due to Thai protests

Howard Choularton submitted a new blog post:

2013 Race of Champions called off due to Thai protests

The 2013 Race of Champions (ROC) has been called off due to political upheaval in the host city & Thai capital, Bangkok, the organisers revealed on Monday.

Organisers announced on Monday that the event cannot take place "due to the current political situation in Bangkok".

Seven time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher, and current champion Sebastian Vettel, were due to participate in the event from 14 to 15 December.

The Rajamangala Stadium was set to play host to the event, which...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

I agree, I think they should move it to a stadium ready to host. Much like the World Cup, I'm sure they have a list of viable backups? Like Wembley or one of the large German stadiums?

Maybe this event should be shared by different countries, after all motorsport is international and the drivers who are invited are the best from all over the world. Nothing against Thailand, but at least then the many racing enthusiasts/fans around the world would have the opportunity to see their racing hero's compete in the ROC event.

It's a shame that international events such as this can marred by political upheaval and unrest so easily, but I take my hat off to the organisers for cancelling the event, they obviously consider safety above profit, which is becoming are rarity in this money/profit driven era of mankind.

Cheers

I hope it won't stay in Bangkok for a long time. Last year the stadium looked so empty it was really a shame and they had no proper international online coverage like the years before and the TV coverage in Germany was unwatchable, no engine sounds, rubbish commentators and non-stop adverts.

I hope they can go back to the standard they had before last year.

I really miss the time time they did this event at Gran Canaria, I never really felt that the stadium-stages suits the racing that much. Maybe have a stage with some "Mickey Mouse-parts" inside the stadium and a loop on the outside?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back