2013 Formula One German Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heimsieg.png

* home win

Great race. Vettel is not my favorite driver, but he deserved that one.

I really hope Ferrari get their act together. Alonso is not on the same form as last year and probably only the second best driver after Kimi at the moment. And Lotus doesn't have the cash to stick with RB until the end. The races will probably stay interesting because there are four teams that can win them, but I fear for the WDC :unsure:

I did not understand the move of Lotus with the last softs for kimi. Alonso had to used them, but not him. I have the feeling he was near to shot by the time he reached vettel and would have had better chance (and not a significant pace difference until then) with meds.

I did not understand the move of Lotus with the last softs for kimi. Alonso had to used them, but not him. I have the feeling he was near to shot by the time he reached vettel and would have had better chance (and not a significant pace difference until then) with meds.

The gap to Vettel was less than 10 seconds and decreasing at the time they made the stop and it would only have gotten worse. The end of Silverstone showed that even Lotus does not have infinite tyre life. And just look at how Hamilton closed in on Button (this race, that is).
It would have been a gamble for a very small chance of winning the race and a very high chance of getting P4. Better to take a safe P2.

The gap to Vettel was less than 10 seconds and decreasing at the time they made the stop and it would only have gotten worse. The end of Silverstone showed that even Lotus does not have infinite tyre life. And just look at how Hamilton closed in on Button (this race, that is).
It would have been a gamble for a very small chance of winning the race and a very high chance of getting P4. Better to take a safe P2.

No, I am not saying making the stop was wrong. I meant using the soft tires for the last 10 laps (which is about the limit), instead of fitting mediums and be able to go all out each and every lap.

No, I am not saying making the stop was wrong. I meant using the soft tires for the last 10 laps (which is about the limit), instead of fitting mediums and be able to go all out each and every lap.

They had that angle covered with Grosjean, why double down on it? The soft proved unexpectedly quick on Grosjean's car early on and it gave them the best possible chance. If they had put Kimi on the prime, he would have just gotten stuck behind Vettel, unable to overtake.

Red Bull fined 30,000 Euros

Cameraman Paul Allen is recovering in hospital after he was hit by a tyre that had detached from Webber's car. Allen is believed to have suffered a broken shoulder and broken ribs.
Webber was released from the pits before the tyre had been properly secured. It was immediately announced that the stewards would investigate the incident after the race and they have now handed down their judgement.

"The Stewards, having received a report from Race Director, heard from a team representative, examined video evidence, have considered the following matter, and determine a breach of the regulations has been committed by the competitor named below and impose the penalty referred to.

o/Driver 2-Mark Webber
Competitor Infiniti Red Bull Racing
Time 14:17
Session Race
Fact Unsafe release from a Pit Stop.
Offence Breach of Article 23.12 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.
Decision The competitor (Infiniti Red Bull Racing) is fined €30,000.
Reason The team released car 2 before all wheels were safely fitted and the right rear wheel came off as the car left the pit stop position. The wheel passed four teams and struck a camera operator causing injury."

Reactions: Tom
I didn't understand this inverstigation in the first place. In both cases (FI & RB) it was a crystal clear unsafe release which has nearly always resulted in a drive through during the race. Why not here? It had certainly nothing to do with the stewards haveing to deal with several other inverstigations.
Then I also don't understand why FI gets to pay 5,000 and RB 30,000. I understand that Webber's wheel injured the cameraman but it's the same delict in both cases. Did other teams who failed to fasten a wheel properly get the same fines in the past?
If the Torro Rosso didn't break they both would collide and they could spin in a waiting crew and injure someone.
In my opinion both caes should be treated the same. To prevent such incidents maybe the teams should be punished with a certain points loss. That way they maybe take 0.5 to 1s more to check if the wheel is fastend before releasing the car. The person operating the light system certainly reacted to the front jack being released rather than the mechanic at the wheel giving his ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back