2013 DRS Nerf - what do you think?

Doesn't this mean that the teams wouldn't use it at all because it compromises the gear ratios too much to be worth it? At least that was the argument when this was under discussion the last time.
From 2014 on, this might be a good thing tho, with the reduced aero and much stronger Kers, it might not be needed anymore.

On top of all of that: I haven't seen any other source where this has been confirmed, and if I recall it correctly, Charlie Whiting said a while ago that he plans to keep DRS for quite a while, so who knows if this news is really true...

Speculation here, but it may have been done just to keep the teams at ease with all the work they're putting towards Double DRS systems and what not. With this new restriction, putting in countless amount of work into a DDRS may only provide a minimal advantage.

It may have been with safety in mind as well with drivers opening the DRS slot as soon as they are on the exit of a corner and holding it open for as long as they can heading into the next.

Edit: Yep, I was right.
The FIA originally left usage unrestricted so that teams could gain experience with the system to ensure it achieved its primary goal of boosting overtaking, but now the governing body believes the unlimited use of the wing is a safety concern as drivers strive to knock time off their laps by using the DRS to reduce downforce as much as possible during qualifying laps.
Full story here.

Speculation here, but it may have been done just to keep the teams at ease with all the work they're putting towards Double DRS systems and what not. With this new restriction, putting in countless amount of work into a DDRS may only provide a minimal advantage.

It may have been with safety in mind as well with drivers opening the DRS slot as soon as they are on the exit of a corner and holding it open for as long as they can heading into the next.

Edit: Yep, I was right.

Full story here.

Don't get me wrong but I can't remember a single accident that's been caused by a driver having opened DRS too quickly or closing late. I think it's meant to bring teams closer together, no matter how good their DRS system is.

Don't get me wrong but I can't remember a single accident that's been caused by a driver having opened DRS too quickly or closing late. I think it's meant to bring teams closer together, no matter how good their DRS system is.

It was something I thought of as well. Mercedes at the beginning of the season is a good example of this, because of their DRS system they were able to place their cars at the front of the grid for the first few races and were even able to capitalize on some of the opportunities(the win in China).

This restriction should lessen the importance of DRS among the teams.

It was a Very Very bad Move :mad:
Come on FIA i'm just learning how to go through R130 with DRS enabled and you just F***ed it up :D
Why not completely BAN the DRS for 2014 so we can see the real overtakes as we will have more KERS which will help drivers in both Attacking/Defendng

I agree and disagree with the whole thing.

I understand the "dangers" that it poses when DRS is active, especially in really fast corners where we see drivers opening the DRS....

but there should be a limit of which sections of track and which corners per track a driver can open it in order to prevent such thing.

I do no like it however, in terms of qualifying, it would make qualifying boring and worthless to see the true speeds of the cars, especially when they are gettin engine nerfed soon also.

then, is on video game wise, I love having my DRS on TT just open experiementing the limits, and im afraid I wont do that for 2013 so I probably won't buy it and CM is goign to loose a loyal costumer.

my verdict, keep DRS active, but impose the corners that they see it as "risky" to have it active, like eau rouge @ SPA, the FIA did banned the use of DRS thru there, so why not for every track, im sure they have enough data over 2 years to decide on such thing, right?

For many many years they have tried to make qualifying interesting as it was extremely boring. After they finally managed to find a good recipe they cut off one of the most important ingredients... Too bad.

I don't remember but I don't think there were any (serious) accidents following DRS usage in practice/ qualy. Actually I can't recall any but maybe someone can freshen my memory...

We really don't need DRS to make an interesting qualifying imo.

Just give all 24 cars full airtime on TV when they do their superpole qualification and you have the most exiting format ever :)

I agree with the new ruling, to be honest. The only reason DRS exists is to be an overtaking tool, not making the car go faster.

But what I don't understand, is why would this make qualifying any less interesting? Sure, they won't be opening the DRS everywhere, so what?

They will still push their cars to the 110%, run on the walls, and do everything in their hands to get the last thousandth of a second.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back