2012 Red Bull RB8

Exhaust positioning.

z1328631132.jpg

This car is pure art. Just look at how B E A utiful the rear end of it is.

According to some on F1T the way they have set the exhaust up is that the wishbones will keep the airflow nice and steady travelling just under them and exiting over the diffuser.

Also what is interesting that they touched on is the shape of the sidepods. Mostly all other team have a giant undercut through the whole sidepod. RBR is from what i know the only team where the base of the coke bottle is bigger then higher up, creating a very smooth surface.
they are also very wide at the widest points but decrease drastically as they get closer to the rear.

Just looks very neat and brilliant.

ded1223fe55.jpg

ded1223fe59.jpg

This car is pure art. Just look at how B E A utiful the rear end of it is.

[...]

Just looks very neat and brilliant.
It does look very elegant indeed but didn't we already have this discussion when it came to the noses? Pretty and fast are two pairs of shoes and the Red Bull isn't an exception to this rule. The fact is, we simply do not and can not know if the neat packaging actually helps them to go faster. Last year's Williams is the best example for that.

It does look very elegant indeed but didn't we already have this discussion when it came to the noses? Pretty and fast are two pairs of shoes and the Red Bull isn't an exception to this rule. The fact is, we simply do not and can not know if the neat packaging actually helps them to go faster. Last year's Williams is the best example for that.
It´s not just better packaging. It´s more efficient as a whole. Perfection really.

I've just read on Sky Sports that Red Bull are flying out a completely new car to be tested tomorrow and Sunday.
Apparently this isn't just new parts on the same car, it's a completely new design! Interesting.

New front wing, rear wing, exhausts and chassis,
P1000556.JPG

P1000555.JPG

red-bull-sidepod-duct.jpg

Red Bull adds sidepod duct to blow diffuser
On Red Bull RB8 At Barcelona
Apart from the changed exhaust position, the Red Bull RB8 now features something that no other team has thought of yet. Not only did the team create a nice slope on the upper side of the sidepods to get the exhaust down onto the top of the diffuser, it also has a duct underneath.

The duct simple pulls air towards the inside of the car, just like is usually the case with a narrowing sidepod. The airflow in the central part of the diffuser is particularly interesting, as teams are allowed there to have a small opening into the diffuser so that the starter can be fitted when the car stalled in the pitlane.

It is crucial that as much air as possible is fed into this, albeit small, opening, as it basically provides the same effect as a double diffuser. As this central airflow would potentially be lost by the change of sidepod shape, a ducted sidepod like this both retains central airflow and allows for a downwash on the exhaust gases, gaining diffuser efficiency both on the central part as well as on the outer extremities because of the powerful exhaust flow.

By Tomba on 03-03-2012 | Aerodynamics

http://www.f1technical.net/development/351

Is this legal? I thought the rule was the exhaust gases were to not play a part in blowing the diffuser. Though this seems like a passive compromise, the gases are still blowing on/ through the diffuser.

Is this legal? I thought the rule was the exhaust gases were to not play a part in blowing the diffuser. Though this seems like a passive compromise, the gases are still blowing on/ through the diffuser.

As long as the exhausts are angled in a legal way, the concept is legal. It's using the airflow from around the side pods to channel the exhaust gases, rather the exhaust positioning doing so. Very clever.

Amd here we go again, Newey found his loophole.. Clever design using the bodywork as a part of the exhaust pipe. The slot in the sidepod channels keeping the air flowing merging with the exhausts, that's how interpret it. Very celver, hopefully it isn't that decisive factor. All thou, that solution is easily added to existing design but then again, it may be so careful tuned with the chassis that others may never get it right.. It doesn't take a lot of vortices to deattach the air flow.

FIA should've just made a huge tractor exhaust so they can't embed the exhaust pipes to body.. The rule goes out of the window if you put the pipe on the inside of body, then shaping the actual car to act as an exhaust tip.

Where is the starter motor hole? What i got from Autosport is thet they are once again blowin in the starter hole, i can see that the rear crash structure is shaped like a diffuser but i can't see the outlet. It's suppose to be small, something like 5-7cm but i can't locate it..

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%