2012 Formula One Italian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lotus is not going to use "The DEVICE " until Suzuka
http://en.espnf1.com/lotusf1/motorsport/story/87808.html
I wonder if the device actually is of very little use at Monza where the DF levels already are extremely low.

If anything this sort of device would fit high downforce tracks where you can actually gain by removing lots of drag on straights.

"So it is not even on the table. In Singapore you won't see it either, because it's too high a downforce circuit with insufficient straights for it to be worthwhile.
Seems like what caused them not to use it at Singapore is because of the lack of long straights.
And not necessarily high/low downforce tracks.

Autosport reports the exact opposite:
The fact that Monza is such a low drag circuit from a car setup point of view means that there is limited benefit to using it there.

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has ruled out the team racing the double DRS in Italy, but it is likely that the device will make a return at the Singapore Grand Prix.

"I am very confident we will not use it, because Monza is Monza," he said. "It is a different aero configuration."
:O_o:

That being said, I trust James Allison more than Eric Boullier on this matter :D

But it might work in Monza if you go with higher downforce levels by default, then tune it to reduce the drag in the straights. Which is what Allison means, I guess.

Kind of like, in high downforce tracks, it will make you faster in straights and help overtaking, in low downforce tracks it will allow you to be faster in corners while being as fast (probably better average speed) in the straights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%