2012 Formula One Belgian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps will host the 12th round of the 2012 Formula One World Championship as the Grand Prix of Belgium signals a return to racing following the series’ summer break. The track, which winds up and down through the Ardennes, has its reputation built on speed. At around 20 seconds, the section from La Source to Les Combes is the longest duration an F1 car will spend on full-throttle in 2012 – should the driver take the Eau Rouge/Raidillon combination flat-out.
Despite this, and another long flat-out run down to the new Bus Stop chicane, Spa is a more technical challenge than perhaps its high-speed reputation suggests, with the ten corners of the twisting middle sector often being where fast laps are crafted. Because of the challenges of Rivage, Blanchimont, Stavelot and especially Pouhon in this middle sector, Spa doesn’t demand the ultra-low downforce aero packages seen at Monza. Instead it falls into the medium-low category similar to those used in Montreal. It isn’t a race that heavily taxes suspension or braking, but it does see high tyre-wear and, with a longer lap – 7km in total – than any other grand prix, pitting at the right moment carries a greater premium.
Another factor is the weather: rare is the year when it doesn’t rain at some point over the Belgian Grand Prix weekend. This, in combination with the distance travelled around the lap and its elevation changes, make Spa notorious for inconsistent conditions, with showers falling on some parts of the circuit while others remain dry.
Fernando Alonso goes into the race leading the Drivers’ World Championship by 40 points. History looks kindly on drivers in his position with 8 out of the last ten World Championships being won by the driver top of the standings at this stage of the year. Spa, however, is not Alonso’s best circuit: he hasn’t won here since driving in F3000.

► Spa-Francorchamps was one of the venues used in 1950 for the inaugural F1 World Championship season. It has been the circuit used for the bulk of Belgian Grands Prix, hosting the race for 44 of its 56 runnings.
► The race has also been held at Nivelles (1972, ’74) and Zolder (1973, 1975-82, ’84). Spa-Francorchamps has hosted the race in all other years, barring 1957, ’59 , ’69, ’71, ’03 and ’06, when no championship Belgian Grand Prix was held.
► No driver has won the race at more than one of these venues.
► Twenty-one Belgian Grand Prix winners are also World Champions. Those drivers have never won World Championships in the years the Belgian Grand Prix has been held at circuits other than the one where they were victorious.
► Ferrari are the most successful constructor at the Belgian Grand Prix. They have 16 victories against 12 wins for McLaren.
► Kimi Räikkönen has an unusual record at Spa: in his seven attempts he has either won or failed to finish. Victories came in 2004, ’05, ’07 and ’09. In 2004 and 2009 his victories at Spa were the only ones taken by his team during the season. DNF’s were caused by engine failure in 2002 and a spin while battling for the lead in the closing stages of the 2008 race. His Spa debut in 2001 ended with a technical DNS when transmission failure ensured he did not take the grid for a restart after an early red flag.
► That same race in 2001 saw Michael Schumacher take his 52nd F1 victory, surpassing the standing record set by Alain Prost in 1993. Schumacher’s new record currently stands at 91 wins, of which six have come at Spa, making him the most successful driver in the history of the Belgian Grand Prix. Behind him come Ayrton Senna (5), Jim Clark (4) and Räikkönen.
► Schumacher also made his F1 debut at Spa, and this weekend sees him take part in his 300th Grand Prix.
► While the Belgian Grand Prix has held this end of August/start of September slot for over two decades, the calendar around it has changed dramatically. Ten years ago it was very much towards the end of the season with only three races to follow it. In 2012 it is a mid-season race, with a further eight races to come.

Drivers Championship Standings

Constructor Champions Standings

If the sun shines, Räikönnen should win it and if Lotus use their DDRS system this time, he might even do it from pole.
If it rains, Schumacher might come into play (but so could Alonso).
In the event of cold weather but no rain, my money is on Hamilton.

I don't think long break will change something. Spa is a classic circuit, cars that fundamentally good even with weak aero can do well here. So if its dry and hot, Raikkonen is a safe bet. I expect slightly off weekend from McLaren, their car don't like fast circuits by the looks of it. Ferrari and Red Bull should do well and Sauber is a biggest threat from midfield.

Downforce levels will be interesting..

Either you run a Ferrari or Force India pack where you just have a slippery car with high top speed.
Or you do what Mclaren does and run medium downforce but rely on the DRS keeping you on top of the times in Qualifying.

Renault will test their Monza-spec wing as well at SPA,

Sigh, this means it has nearly been a year since i went to the race. Good memories walking up eau rouge hill to watch the gp2 guys, then nearly getting run over by someones off road vehicle only to look up and see Ricciardo smiling at me as i jumped out of the way.

Michael Schumacher For the win finally, his numbers in SPA are fantastic:

1992: 1st
1993: 2nd
1994: 1st
1995: 1st (started in 16th)
1996: 1st
1997: 1st
1998: DNF (he was 30 secs on lead when hit DC, so would be another easy win)
1999: Injured, didnt participate
2000: 2nd
2001: 1st
2002: 1st
2003: No SPA race in 2003
2004: 2nd
2005: DNF (sato took him out in la source)
2006: No SPA race in 2006
2010: 7th (started in 21st)
2011: 5th (started in 24th, last on the grid)

Qualy:
Pole will go to either Hamilton, Raikkonen, Alonso or Schumacher.

Race:
Schumacher or Raikkonen. They deserve a win, and they are the masters at Spa. I don't like Schumi, but I'm tired of seeing him with so much bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%