2012 Driver Changes - Early Predictions?

Perez still has bucket loads of improvement to do if we wants the Ferrari seat in 2013.Also buemi is clearly better then alguersauri this year he's just been a bit unlucky on strategy the qualifying record he has over him is pretty much a demolition, either way i can't see him getting the red bull drive, ricciardo will be a tough man to beat next year I think. it's only taken him a few races and he's basically on par with liuzzi already.

Red Bull - Unchanged
Hi Guys,

This is my prediciations for 2012 driver line-ups. Not very exciting as the majority of teams seem happy with their lineups
Ferrari - Unchanged - Massa's last chance i think
McLaren - Unchanged - Nothing to say really
Mercedes -Rosberg, Di Resta - I'm assuming Schumi will retire
Renault - Petrov, Kubica - Robert Kubica to return. If he doesn't then I think we will see the return of Romain Grosjean
Toro Rosso - Unchanged - Proved themselves and rose their game
Force India - Hulkenburg, Sutil - Nico back in a race seat
Williams - Unchnaged - Seem happy with what they've got
Sauber - Unchanged - Already confirmed
Lotus - Unchnaged - Think they'll stick with the same line up
Virgin - Unchanged - Glock confirmed and they seem happy with D'Ambrosio
HRT - Luizzi & Riciardo - Liuzzi solid season and i think Red Bull will put Ricciardo in the HRT again

Team Lotus - I think Trulli will be safe if this new power steering system improves his game. Heikki and Chandhok both said that the old steering system wasn't really that bad, so the team have pretty much spent a load of money just to shut Trulli up. If he doesn't improve now, he'll be gone next year.

Virgin - Haven't really spoken a lot in support of D'Ambrosio, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's a gonner next season.

Buemi won't go to Red Bull. Especially if Alguesuari stays ontop of him like he has been in the past few races.

Perez is more likely to go to Ferrari than Kobayashi. Seeing as Ferrari are putting him in a 2009 car for a test in a few weeks. You don't see them doing the same for Kobayashi. He's a bit more reckless.

Mercedes 100% will not go with a rookie. DiResta has been in the Mercedes driver programme for years and has regular meetings with Haug. The seat is his when it's available.

I must admit, its fairly likely that Di Resta will end up in a Mercedes at some point. But, hes really got to learn to stop losing those front wings, he would be doing much better in the championship (relative to Sutil anyway) if he could his nose out of trouble, though perhaps thats unfair as it hasnt all been his fault. But if he continues his current performances, he could probably end up in the mercedes seat next year when Shumi retires (which he probably should, but no garentees though. in fact he hasnt been THAT bad...if it wasnt for some rotten luck, he would have had some decent finishes such as Monaco).

I dont like the idea of Buemi in a red bull, but its not out of the question. Ive seen it mentioned a few times over the past 2 years, though not in any serious way. Though i do think as a whole this year Buemi has outperformed Alguesauri. Though i dont know what the potential of that car is, i dont know if either is taking that car to its limit. I dont think that Ricciardo should go straight to a Red Bull, with the ban on testing nowadays it would be better if he got a full season in a lower car (Toro Rosso would be perfect) than go in unprepared. Though having said that, i dont think driving the HRT is quite the same, as its not very competitive. At all.

Ferrari, well they SHOULD pick Kobi for a seat should Massa go in 2013. But you're right, Perez could end up there. Or someone else entirely. Massa has got to get back to his true pace, he hasnt been the same since that 2009 hungarian gp....though if he can, i could see him retaining his seat for a while longer.

Schumacher isn't going to be retiring, he's signed for 2012 and already in discussions with Haug and Brawn about a possible few more years being added to his current contract, they're building something like they did with Ferrari.
I wouldn't write off Schumacher's chances next year if i were you, he's been driving very well recently, he just has extremely bad luck at the moment and he seems to still be in good spirits.

Also: I don't know if you've noticed but, Schumacher overtakes Rosberg and several other cars into the first corner every race, apart from Hungary and without Schumacher's spins, i'dd say he's been doing better than Rosberg of recent.
Just bad luck.

Schumacher isn't going to be retiring, he's signed for 2012 and already in discussions with Haug and Brawn about a possible few more years being added to his current contract, they're building something like they did with Ferrari.
I wouldn't write off Schumacher's chances next year if i were you, he's been driving very well recently, he just has extremely bad luck at the moment and he seems to still be in good spirits.

Also: I don't know if you've noticed but, Schumacher overtakes Rosberg and several other cars into the first corner every race, apart from Hungary and without Schumacher's spins, i'dd say he's been doing better than Rosberg of recent.
Just bad luck.

I agree, without the bad luck he would be doing a lot better, but thats not the reason why i think this will be his last season....he has recently been saying that he no longer has the hunger he used to have, and with him begining to hint at retirement i cant see him going on another season. Its not that Rosberg is wiping the floor with him, or anything to do with results vs his team mate at all, its that his personal drive and commitment are begining to wane. its not helping that mercedes is slowly starting to look less competitive as the season progresses either. Yes, his contract runs into 2012, but he has the option to retire at the end of this season. And i suppose that it troubles me to see an all time great stick around another season and probably do a whole lot of nothing. He deserves better than that.

I disagree, i'm seeing steady improvement from the Mercedes, in Hungary they ended up 3rd and 4th after the start and after Schumacher made them hunger comments, he took them back claiming that it was dissapointing but he's still got the commitment and he's here to build with Mercedes.

Time will tell, but i think he's got it in him to do another year or two, especially if he gets a decent enough car.

I disagree, i'm seeing steady improvement from the Mercedes, in Hungary they ended up 3rd and 4th after the start and after Schumacher made them hunger comments, he took them back claiming that it was dissapointing but he's still got the commitment and he's here to build with Mercedes.

Time will tell, but i think he's got it in him to do another year or two, especially if he gets a decent enough car.

They havent improved in my eyes. They seem if anything to be lackng race pace compared to some of the other midfield teams, and the gap is closing. They struggle with their tyres, they struggle with the heavy fuel loads, and at the end of the day the results arent coming for them. At Germany they got beaten by Sutil. At Hungary Rosberg only managed 9th. And the gap from the early season between them, the front runners and the mid field has changed. They could at least compete with Ferrari early season. Now they are fighting it tooth and nail every race with Force India and Sauber, and dont even hope to compete with the front boys over race distance. Maybe they arent going backwards. But the other teams sure are going forwards quicker than they are. They may have decent one lap pace, but they struggle once they get about 10 laps into the races.

They may improve in the following races. They will almost certainly improve out of sight next season. But it will be seen wether he will commit himself again. He is getting old now.

Though when it comes to age, dont get me started on Rubens.......lol

Hehe, Rubens is like the terminator of F1, no matter how old he keeps that general happy to be here appearance and still seems to really want to be here, plus he's suprisingly consistant, if the Williams was better he'dd be doing better, i'm gonna laugh if the Williams end up competitive with Barrichello and he gets another title chance, doubt it but it would be good viewing.
Maldonado seems quite quick when it suits him though, every so often he'll qualify high, have a decent race but as we saw in Monaco, Hamilton decided that Maldonado wasn't taking turn one and that he was on an first class ticket to the first corner tire barrier courtesy of Hamilton wrecking ball and McLaren.co

Hehe, Rubens is like the terminator of F1, no matter how old he keeps that general happy to be here appearance and still seems to really want to be here, plus he's suprisingly consistant, if the Williams was better he'dd be doing better, i'm gonna laugh if the Williams end up competitive with Barrichello and he gets another title chance, doubt it but it would be good viewing.
Maldonado seems quite quick when it suits him though, every so often he'll qualify high, have a decent race but as we saw in Monaco, Hamilton decided that Maldonado wasn't taking turn one and that he was on an first class ticket to the first corner tire barrier courtesy of Hamilton wrecking ball and McLaren.co

Maldanado is fast, and should be smashing Rubens in the races when it comes to pace, but Rubens just has that experience that Maldanado has to earn. I just dont know why Rubens is still there, hes not doing it for the money surely, i know he loves driving and even though he has still got some pace in him he doenst need to prove himself, not to me anyway. The car isnt going to the front of the grid anytime soon, maybe he just loves motor racing a lot. But i hope for the sake of Williams he sticks around and helps them with the technical direction, with all the changes they are making this year they need some sort of stability....

Indeed but at Valencia, Rubens was interviewed and he said recently for the first time he seriously thought about it, but his kids were yelling at him to keep racing, even though his wife wasn't but she was out voted.
I think he just loves the buzz and the adrenaline of it, like Schumacher does but Schumacher -needs- to be competitive otherwise he gets aggrivated and starts to perform badly where as Rubens is okay with being at the bottom.

He's been strongly hinting retirement this past week.Hamilton wouldn't go to Mercedes. It's a step down.
To be perfectly honest saying 'evalutating my position' isn't hinting at retirement in my opinion, but if he gets a good race in Spa say a fourth or something he'll be all happy again.
Schumacher is smart, he knows that if he just ignores the criticism and sticks it out he will be rewarded with a good car sooner or later, wether it's too late, who knows.

OK so we have 3 races left in the 2011 season.
Let's take stock of where we are so far with next year's line-up.

Drivers in Red are confirmed for 2012 and not going anywhere. (May be one or two mistakes)
Drivers in
Blue are rumoured or a possibility, but not currently in a race seat (with the exception or Ricciardo)

Red Bull:
Vettel
Webber

McLaren:
Hamilton
Button

Ferarri:
Alonso
Massa

Mercedes:
Rosberg
Schumacher

Renault:
Petrov
Senna
Kubica
Grosjean

Force India:
Di Resta
Sutil
Hulkenberg

Sauber:
Kobayashi
Perez

Toro Rosso:
Buemi
Alguesuari
Ricciardo
Vergne

Williams:
Barachello
Maldonaldo
Raikkonen

Lotus:
Kovalinen
Trulli

Virgin:
Glock
D'Ambrosio
Wickens

Hispania:
Ricciardo
Liuzzi
Karthakayan

I wasn't sure with Massa and Schumacher.

BBC were saying there's still a small rumour of Ferarri buying out Massa's final year if he doesn't improve.
And Schumacher hasn't picked up his option for 2012 yet. The option is on his side of the deal, but he hasn't confirmed it yet.

I hadn't heard the Rubens/Renault rumour. I doubt it'll happen.

Massa still has a contract with Ferrari for 2012, so unless something changes, that is where he will be. Both Schumacher and his manager have said that they have a 3-year-contract and not a 2-year with an one year extension which the media made out after misinterpreting an interview. The Barrichello/Renault rumours have been going on for a couple of weeks now and is obviously all dependent on Kubica. You can read one article saying that here.

I also forget to say that Kovalainen has a seat at Lotus/Caterham for 2012.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%