2012 Caterham CT-01

Very aerodynamic nose.

kovk.jpg

:p

This is a good shot of the "step" in the nose

Caterham-CT01-nose_2708599.jpg

Apparently the design is necessary because in modern-day F1 cars, the airflow underneath the nose is becoming increasingly important for the aerodynamics, hence why teams aren't reverting to the Brawn-style low nose.

Great stuff but you missed one pretty important aero part which we have not seen before but which i think will be a very common thing next year. Especially considering the Ferrari sketches that circulate shows a similar version of it.

G98yL.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202012-01-28%20at%2018.32.44.png

pogleddnospredaj.png

Image zoom plugin for firefox: zoom with right click pressed + scroll above picture, unlimited zoom plus fit-to-screen option.... I recommend it for heavy image browsing. In a cleart spce if you right click+scroll, Firefox switches between tabs.. Learned that about an hour ago. Off topic but a tip in a image thread is a goo dplace to share.

Pff 2 minutes ago I finaly understood why Caterham have this nose and now I expect all cars to have it. This is the new rule:

2012 rule changes - lower nose

In order to increase safety, for 2012 the FIA has decided to lower the height of the car's front section, primarily to lessen the chance of one's car's nose intruding into the cockpit of another in the event of a side-on collision. As can be seen in this diagram, the height of the chassis immediately ahead of the cockpit can still be up to 625mm above the reference plane (PR), but then in the space of 150mm it must fall to 550mm. This is expected to lead to some rather awkward-looking, stepped-nose designs on the 2012 cars, including Ferrari's new machine.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%