2012 British Touring Car Championship

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Alan Gow thinks that half of the field this year will be filled with NGTC cars. Do you think it was a good decision to let these cars enter the series back in 2011?

Well it should make for a more interesting depth of field of manufacturers,and should help prevent the debacle of last year with Gow constantly tweaking turbo's down...then back up...then down again...then bac.....sheesh!....

I think that if you're introducing a new set of regulations into a current series, it should replace the older class all at once. If you do a staggered introduction like the BTCC has done, it just gets too confusing for the casual viewers and too much time is wasted trying to keep equality in the field (ie. Gary's comment on turbos). Have the NGTCs sorted out and tested for all entrants BEFORE they are to be introduced, and then do a blanket replacement across the field. Similar to what V8 Supercars are doing with the Car of the Future.

That's my view, but the truth may most certainly be more complicated than I realise...

All it does by integrating them slowly is cause arguments about equality - like Plato moaning all season about turbos - nothing stopping RML runnin a turbo car last season.

Stupid thing is. - Alan Gow is also advisor to WTCC, but the series are so vastly different to watch.

In a word... YES.

Ok, so last year was maybe not the smoothist of BTCC campaigns in terms of bridging the gaps in performance (yes Mr Plato, we saw!) but the main issues were arising from the difference between Turbo and Naturally Aspirated engines; The balance between NGTC and Super 2000 chasis/NGTC engine combo seemed to work well, albiet due to silly testing regulations from Mr Gow which were never going to work... NGTC can only be a good thing for the next 2 years... Cutting costs, narrowing the gap between factory teams and independants, producing great racing and finally, I dare anyone to say that the NGTC cars are not stunning aesthetically! Rob Austins Audi... Best looking touring car since the late 90's? Maybe.

I for one cant wait untill the first round of 2012, absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt my all time favorite race series, and will be for many years to come.

Long live the BTCC!!!

The main issue with the NGTC way of thinking is that the cars become less and less like their retail counterparts. If they all have the same engine and suspension, basically just a bunch of different body shells.

I understand the main benefit is reduced costs, but with the turbos it kills the engine braking etc .

I am not sold on it as yet, but I am open to have my mind changed.

Yes definately a good decision, the amount of teams etc that have shown interest and with the provisional entry lists that have been floating around its brilliant, nearly 30 cars on the grid in BTCC is a win win. Also more manufacturers showing interest in the series again.

All it does by integrating them slowly is cause arguments about equality - like Plato moaning all season about turbos - nothing stopping RML runnin a turbo car last season.

I worked for RML last season and season before and it just wasn't an option to develop a 2.0 turbo as well as a 1.6 turbo that WTCC required. Toca assured there would be parity which is why the team went for the decision to stick with the S2000 / NA engine package and look into upgrading the WTCC 1.6 engine to a 2.0 for 2012 or 2013 when all the cars on the grid must be in NAGT spec.

One word... cost. 80% of the grid in BTCC are private teams and not all of them can just sell their current machinery and buy / build new.

Phasing it out was a good idea.

I think that last time they did that was in 2001 with the BTC regs, the "touring" class didnt get grids over ~12 regularly. (it did pick up over the next few years). The BTCC has always had a rich history of private independent teams, only really in the 90's supertouring era that you had the majority of manufacturers... so i think a gradual incorporation of NGTC is a good thing, but thats just my view :p

Edit: In reply to what Rhys said as well..

MG announces BTCC return
MG Motor UK will return to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship in 2012 with its stunning new MG6 GT model driven by Jason Plato and Andy Neate.

The British car manufacturer based in Birmingham announced the news this morning. It will be a full official factory-backed programme with the cars prepared by one of the BTCC’s most successful constructors, Triple Eight Race Engineering. They will be built to the BTCC’s new and spectacular turbocharged Next Generation Touring Car regulations.

Both Tesco Fuels, with its Momentum 99 fuel brand, and energy drink KX will be the primary sponsors of the project, leading to the team name of MG KX Momentum Racing.

Oxford’s Plato, BTCC Champion in 2001 (with Triple Eight) and 2010 and also a successful TV presenter, will spearhead the campaign as he seeks a third drivers’ title. For emerging star Neate from Aylesbury it’s a golden opportunity to shine in the BTCC, the UK’s premier motor racing championship that enjoys a significant global following.

MG last competed in the BTCC as a works entry from 2001-03. Since then the BTCC has boomed in terms of TV viewing hours and audience sizes as well as trackside attendance and the company’s return will enable it to promote its brand and particularly the MG6 GT model to a captive audience of many millions. The five-door MG6 GT fastback is the first all-new MG in 16 years.

Guy Jones, MG Motor’s Sales & Marketing Director, said: “We are delighted that the new MG6 will be seen by millions of fans in Britain and beyond and this continues the famous sporting lineage of the brand.”

Plato, with an unrivalled 68 race wins in the BTCC to his name, added: “It’s really exciting to be involved in a brand new all-British team and it’s just brilliant that the iconic name of MG will be back on the track.”

Source: BTCC.net

So MG have returned to BTCC and managed to steal Jason. How has that happened?

Are RML not entering or something? I know Jason was annoyed at not having a turbo :)

It's not as pretty as the ZS and I can only dream of it sounding as good, but it's gr8 to see another brand on the grid and even better to see a factory effort in the BTCC:).

Wonder what Jason will moan about this year now that he's got a turbo engine!!!

I don't think they stole him as such.

It's all about money at the end of the day, and Jason has history with Triple 8 from the days of Vauxhall.

He also publicly complained a lot about the car last season.

Car looks nice I think:

BTCC.net said:
st_7855_3719.jpg

Vectras for ES in 2012

st_7861_94f7.jpg

Team ES Racing has announced it will run turbocharged Vauxhall Vectras in 2012’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship for drivers Chris James and Dave Newsham.

James, who also owns the Bedford-based team, has secured the cars used by Triple Eight Race Engineering which won last year’s Independent teams’ and drivers’ titles. They will continue to be powered by turbo engines made available by BTCC organiser TOCA.

“These are race-winning cars and will continue to be highly competitive in 2012,” said James. “We’re delighted to get the deal concluded to run the Vectras and look forward to pushing hard at the start of the season. They come with a great spares package and a massive amount of data so we should be able to hit the ground running.”

James also said that his team could yet turn out a third car (“if the right driver with the right budget comes along then it will happen”) and that cars like the Vectra – an S2000-spec chassis fitted with a turbo engine – would have the upper hand during the first half of the season.

He predicted: “We will get podiums and maybe even sneak more than that, certainly in the first half of the season. The new full-spec ‘Next Generation Touring Car’ machines will get stronger but I truly believe that like football it will be a game of two halves – the first half will be S2000 and the second NGTC.”

btcc.net

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 214 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years