2012 American Le Mans Series

It slowly reminds me of the IndyCar ChampCar merger, which was rather a takeover by IndyCar than a true merger. But Panoz was licensing the ALMS from ACO on a year by year basis lately which could be regarded as ALMS running out of money in retrospective.

The loss of the ACO license could reduce the chances of North American entries at the 24h of LeMans as the Petit LeMans and ALMS automatic spots would disappear... Wonder if ACO will still apply those to the GT2/GTE teams or, like in other series using this car type, not regarding them for the egliability.

I'm also curious at how the reaction of the manufactors might be. Mazda designs one new engine for Grand-Am's GX formula, which is a new class for 2013, which also can be run by LMP2 teams as the class will be opened to Diesel engines.

German motorsport-total.com quoted ACO president Pierre Fillon in its news about the merger.

Pierre Fillon (translation from the German text) said:
The fusion of these two championships, which takes place with the approval of the ACO, is important for the development of endurance racing. 2014 will see a higher quality carlendar and grid. Everyone will profit of it: The participants in North America, the drivers and the fans. This approach underlines that the ACO way is right. One of the main initiatives is to increase the presence of endurance racing on the international level.

The basis will be the three continental series: The European LeMans Series, the Asian LeMans Series and the fusion from 2014 on. That makes the basis and the World Endurance Championship stronger while the 24 hours of LeMans stay at the top of the pyramide.

Also it was said that the new North American series will be a way to qualify for the 24 hours of LeMans in its respective classes.

It certainly appears that the new organization wants to keep their ties with the ACO. I think it's potentially a good thing in the long run; two separate sanctioning bodies competing for what is essentially a small niche market is unsustainable.

Something went wrong for the DeltaWing during the practice of the Petit Le Mans at Atlanta.

Must say impressed that the driver is actually proper safe after such a roll

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 266 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 175 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 177 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 130 7.5%
  • < 5 years