2011 Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parts of this race absolutely pissed me off. First of all DRS only being usable for overtaking is retarded. Look at nascar; everyone drives practically the SAME vehicle and yet 10s of millions of americans love it and find it exciting because the leaders aren't pulling away 1 second per lap. It sure is a spectacle seeing drivers get ****ed over because their gimmicky KERS or DRS breaks down-which brings me to another point: In a sport that is all about being the "pinnacle of motorsport" I certainly expect things like KERS not to "fail" and I certainly don't expect schumacher's rear wing control to just suddenly stop working.

"But these cars are pushed to the limit"

That's bull**** speak for "I dont know why it didn't work"

I am also pissed that Fernando and Lewis got pentalies for RACING - this only being allowed to make *one* move to defend is horse ****. They deliberately make rules that ban actual racing, then make new rules to define artificial racing as in DRS/KERS. How the hell does alonso get a penalty for "Causing a collision" I think taking a new wing was penalty enough for that move.

Anyone watch V8 Supercars last week? What happened in pit lane? Oh yea they let the guy out when they knew damn well he couldn't clear traffic - but the rules state a limited amount of contact is permissible, so no foul.

Do people expect them to stick up white flags when the drivers know they can't hold a position any longer? Seriously what IS next?!

Can't the "fans" write to these *******s? Surely the majority of spectators/tv viewers don't enjoy all of this do they?

That's the end of my rant. Thanks

One of the more exciting F1 races I've seen in years. You certainly don't see 3 wide at the end of a mainstretch during the middle of a run every week.

Is it me, or does there seem to be far more bits randomly becoming detached from cars this year? Seems I haven't seen a practice, qual or run yet without something just falling off a car, and not from contact.

I can see some here are talking about the Lotus Renault, but not the Vodafone McLaren, or Marlboro Ferrari, neither AT&T Williams, or any other sponsornames :p Pfffrt.

This race had everything I want from a race, if you don't count the lack of fighting for P1 :) It even had a correct penalty (Hamilton)! And a penalty full of doubts (Alonso), but that sets the precedence for the rest of the season! This looks GOOD!

Well, I don't like alonso so based on that he deserved the penalty! Either way, he cost Lewis time by touching so I think it is justified. A greedy lunge could have taken both drivers out. I bet he won't apologise.

I didn't see any evidence of Hamilton doing any double blocking in the race coverage.

Whatever, I'm pleased for button he drove a great race, and if it was a little longer I reckon he would have got past vettel.

I still believe vettell is over rated, it's the car doing the work if you ask me. I am getting bored of watching him parade through to the end of each race, maybe success ballast would sort that out?

Not convinced of the gimmicky kers and Drs, butt he evidence is there... Drs helps, but you still have to get it stopped at the end of the straight and make It stick through turn 1. I think maybe it should be available all the time, or even force it open all the time, I would make it very interesting to watch them wrestle the cars round!

I can see some here are talking about the Lotus Renault, but not the Vodafone McLaren, or Marlboro Ferrari, neither AT&T Williams, or any other sponsornames :p Pfffrt.

It's to differentiate Lotus Renault GP and Team Lotus. People are calling the former Renault team "Lotus Renault" and the backmarkers "Team Lotus", Even though they're both Lotus-Renault.

Interestingly, the FIA is still calling them "Renault" even though Renault doesn't own any share in the team (having sold them all to Genii), and are now only providing the team with engines and technical support.

Interestingly, the FIA is still calling them "Renault" even though Renault doesn't own any share in the team (having sold them all to Genii), and are now only providing the team with engines and technical support.

That's because they are licensed to compete in F1 as Renault. If they changed their license they'd have to give up their slot and apply for it again (along with any other new teams that wanted to compete in F1). They'd also forfeit prize money and lose their garage position.

Very good race - field were very close in the early stages as well which was interesting. So far I don't like DRS - unlike KERS, it's not something under the driver's control - they can only use it at a specified spot and at a specified time, that's what feels artificial about it for me. It also seems a reliability issue, which worries me from a safety point of view. However, when it did fail on various cars you could see how hard overtaking is without it, even on some of the best straights to overtake on, so something still needs to be done if they want to encourage overtaking without such a deliberate advantage to the person behind.

Hope you aren't suggesting that FIA favours alonso with penalties :D

No, but it's always very easy to punish Hamilton, no matter what he do or most of times, what he didn't do.

One thing is blocking, another one is try to avoid that other driver catch his slipstream.

I think the next move by Fia, after the DRS line, will be making a continuous line on the straights, so who enters in one side, must keep until the end and a few road signs would help too.

I really don't understand either penalty, even as a Lewis fan and Alonso hater. Sure, Alonso made contact but from everything I see it's just a simple mistake. Hamilton's pace was falling at the end, and I think Alonso closed the gap faster then expected. You can hear him get off the throttle at the end, but at that point nothing you can do.

Lewis did change direction twice, and by that standard the penalty is valid, but I don't understand how Vettel didn't get hit for his three (or four depending on how you look at it) direction changes at the start of the race. I like the guy, and he had a brilliant drive, but I was sure he was going to get some kind of infraction after that. At least Lewis's changes were more subtle.

Other then that, I really enjoyed the race. For all my hating and *****ing props to HRT for getting on the track for a few laps. Heidfeld did a spectacular job, as did Petrov (up until he decided he wanted the early flight to China). Only real surprise was how terrible a showing Williams had, and they were one of my top mid-field teams (just behind L-R). Oh well, here's to hoping for a soaked China :).

I don't think Alonso or Hamilton should have been penalized. It was a racing incident. Let them race for crying out loud. One thing though that might have influenced the decision against Hamilton was what he did the lap before Alonso ran into Lewis. On the main straight the lap before the incident, Hamilton swerved more than once to keep Alonso behind him. It wasn't as bad as what Hamilton did the year before when Petrov was behind Lewis (if memory serves me correct this was also at the Sepang track). Anyway on the lap that Alonso ran into Hamilton, it is was hard to see if Lewis was serving again since the World feed cut to a camera angle of Alonso's rear wing to see if Alonso was using his DRS.

But as I said, with all that said (Hamilton swerving more than once on the main straight the lap before the incident), I still say neither driver should have been penalized. It was a racing incident.

On the main straight the lap before the incident, Hamilton swerved more than once to keep Alonso behind him. It wasn't as bad as what Hamilton did the year before when Petrov was behind Lewis (if memory serves me correct this was also at the Sepang track).

That was what he got the penalty for, not the incident with Alonso. I don't even remember seeing him do it so it can't of been that bad. And yes it was at Sepang that Hamilton did it to Petrov. Alonso didn't deserve his penalty either as he was the one affected and Hamilton had a small bit of the floor removed from the car but it didn't affect his performance.

The FIA call them Renault and Lotus but their official names are Lotus Renault GP (Renault) and Team Lotus Renault (Lotus) but personally I prefer to call them Renault and AirAsia as neither team deserve to use the Lotus name, especially after dragging it through the mud like they have done with these court battles.

It's to differentiate Lotus Renault GP and Team Lotus. People are calling the former Renault team "Lotus Renault" and the backmarkers "Team Lotus", Even though they're both Lotus-Renault.

No need to differentiate it. There is one Renault, and there is one Lotus. Kubica said on question how it is to race for Lotus "Well, it's a sponsor, you could ask me if I feel honored to race a Total". And they also said they will keep the Renault name, because they are the main Renault team. I don't see the problem, no one uses the sponsor name on any other team. The contructor name is Renault.

Sergio:
"One thing is blocking, another one is try to avoid that other driver catch his slipstream."

The rule (20.2) does not state blocking. But defensive driving. The "break a tow" was something BBC talked about last year. And "break a tow" is a defensive move. You try to make it harder for the driver behind to get the tow, and be able to make a pass. I really don't see the problem, the rule is there. FIA have said they are going to be strict on these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back