2011 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big fan of the 107% qualifying rule.

Nice to see McLaren can still give Red Bull a run for their money. :I hope Button outperforms Hamilton this year.

EDIT after Q3:

Vettel is amazing out there. If luck is on his side, we could see Schumacher-like dominance tomorrow. I'm glad to see McLaren the first two rows for the race.

A phenominal pole by Vettel but on race it's not all about speed but tire management and that's were I belive Mclaren will gain some time on Red Bull.

Sad to see HRT not managing to finish there new front wing and not having the Moveable rear wing. (well I was quite sleepy on Q1 so I belive I heard the commentators say that HRT doesn't have the moveable wing ready too)
In the past there have been teams who have signed up in F1 and only done 5 to 8 races through out a season of 16 rounds. I am sure HRT will manage to do all the rounds but they will be having problems with money. For Sepang I belive that HRT will be having a much quicker car and might even surpass Virgin. (Well I just hope they got more speed then Virgin)

Suprising qualy, Vettel really showed why he is the current champ. I am suprised to see the Mercedes and Ferrari(more so) team so low. (showed much promise). Also glad to see the Toro rosso boy's getting a much better result, And Petrov (Well done).

I think today's qualy was all down to tyre temp, Red Bull with more downforce were able to get heat into the tyres and I belive that the more aggressive style from Vettel helped him specialy in the last sector (higher temp), and Hamliton coming in 2nd also backs this idea.
For me I don't feel sorry for HRT, they are in F1 if they can't stay in the 107%, then they shouldn't be there.

I just hope the marshals won't make an exception to the 107% rule (like they're allowed to) on the first race of the season it's been reintroduced, and allow HRT to race.

I'm quite surprised by Ferrari's (relatively) poor result, Alonso is almost a second and half slower in Q3 and one second off the pace in Q2. Even considering the outstanding performance of Vettel in Q3, they certainly need to be worried about the season start.

What is going on at Mercedes, all talk about giving their drivers 6 tenths with an upgrade, but Rosberg is in 7th, and Schumi in 11th.

Getting just a little fed up of Ross Brawn's excuses now. Hurry up and just do what you did in 2008, where all you did was focus on year ahead. Rosberg and Schumi deserve wins.

Vettel's lap was just stunning and it will be hard to stop him in the race tomorrow. Mercedes proved that their pace in the final pre-season test was to get the media to stop harassing them for having a slow car. "Team Lotus" were way off the pace and with all the reliability issues they have, it will be a surprise to see them finish. All the rookie's performed well, although D'Ambrosio has to find some more time to match Glock, but the Virgin is not much slower than the "Lotus" and has proved to be more reliable.

I think the biggest (good) surprise was Sauber, i thought they did AMAZINGLY well, especially early on, Perez was unlucky to miss out on Q3, but he had problems getting temperatures right and passing cars doing a quick lap. Overall, i think Sauber could be a team to really watch out for. Also, Petrov! Woow! Now imagine Kubica driving the car....

Personally I think Hispania look like a joke, so they did no winter testing, and barely do any laps in practice?! Seriously, what have they been doing all winter?

And no I have no experience in F1 and very little knowledge of the demands etc, apart from the stuff I read and see, it just seems to me there is no organization or professionalism with that team. I felt a bit for them at the start of last season when they barely got it together but to do almost the same this season, there is no excuse.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the first race, just hope it won't be a procession with Vettel cruising to the win; go Button and Hamilton!

Kubicanuke have been close to being on pole I reckon! red bull are good at low fuel, but the tires are the key in the race and with heavy fuel will the hold up as well as mclaren? My money is on a mclaren to win for sure.

As for HRT, more testing would mean better chance at qualifying. They have their reasons I guess, but it seems poor effortto me for what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport!

Kubicanuke have been close to being on pole I reckon! red bull are good at low fuel, but the tires are the key in the race and with heavy fuel will the hold up as well as mclaren? My money is on a mclaren to win for sure.

With Red Bull supposedly having a mini-KERS system, it means that their KERS system doesn't damage the tyres as much as teams with the full KERS. They get a small boost off the line but they don't recharge their battery at any time so they need less equipment in the car and can balance the car better. The teams with full KERS will damage the rear wheels more as they apply the system.

With Red Bull supposedly having a mini-KERS system, it means that their KERS system doesn't damage the tyres as much as teams with the full KERS. They get a small boost off the line but they don't recharge their battery at any time so they need less equipment in the car and can balance the car better. The teams with full KERS will damage the rear wheels more as they apply the system.

Interesting. So they just use it until the battery runs out?

It's not exactly recovering any energy then? :)

How on earth do you imagine KERS damages the rear wheel tires giving ~80 bhp extra while there is already 740 bhp already put down on them? As long as long as the tires are not out of grip i dont think there is much difference in tire usage.

I believe Schumacher will win the race, just wait and see... :=)

He has the tyre advantage, and he knows Melbourne enough ;)

The car is to far of the pace but i do think he will win again. Seb done that time in the Red Bull without using the Kers system. Maybe a top 6 finish for Schumacher is possible

Cant wait for the race 2 start

Yeah Bram what Ross Brawn done in 2009 with Brawn GP was a miracle with Button and Barrichello winning races and the championship. MSC needs a better car like that then we will see him win. Come on Ross Brawn help the master

Did anyone see how upset Webber looked in the press conference ?

i think petrov kobayashi and buemi could pull something out - possibly a posium for one of them perhaps?

my top 5 predictions
button
vettel
petrov
alonso [even though hes my least fav driver on the grid]
massa

and if your wondering why no hamilton or webber i think they gonna crash at turn 1 and bring out a safetycar while button has a flier of a start and goes infront of the carnage and wins the race thanks to better pit timing because it will rain during the race and a few people will slide off

points for mercadies [both] force india [both] and williams [barrichello] due to good timed pitstops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back