2011 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to watch practise on Sky Germany. I hope McLaren can remain competitive for Qualifying. I know it is only the beginning of the season, but Massa is performing disappointingly. Will Ferrari release him early if he is still not driving profoundly?

Give it up already.

I'll give it up when they give it up :p

At least they managed to do an installation lap on one of their cars, that's a start. I'm sad because I was making breakfast when it happened and couldn't see it on TV.

Anyways, on a somewhat related note, anyone knows if the 107% rule will apply to the fastest lap of the 3 Qualifying sessions or just the fastest Q3 time?

With the new pirelli tyres Q3 times might be significantly slower than other sessions.

The Mclaren was looking after its tires better than the Redbull over the same 7 lap stints.
Which tells you a lot about the relative fuel loads they were running..

Though Vettel also ran over some debris that gouged the tyres.

What do people make of Ferrari/Alonso? I'm finding it really hard to judge - they seem there or thereabouts, but haven't really set timings alight. Evolution?

I wonder what will be HRT's excuse today.

Jeez, looks like HRT is pretty much an obsession to you. 22 posts here, almost all related to it. Are you a former Durango/SGP lobbyist? Or just someone in need of psychological help?

I'm pretty sure the 107% will be calculated on the best Q1 time however, comparing it to Q3's would be quite meaningless. Track usually "improves" between the sessions thanks of rubber.

We all know HRT isn't gonna make it this week-end anyway, so leave it.

Yeah, what I like about that is a driver/car that manages the rear wing well, can qualify above their means. As a result you could see a slower car on pole, with the fastest team back on the third row. Strategy could come more into this than previously believed. It'll be interesting seeing how many incidence there will be as a result of cars using DRS when they probably shouldn't of.

Drivers have the choice of holding down the DRS button, or having a ON/OFF switch. I'm guessing in F1 2011- The Game, this will already be decided for you, fingers crossed it'll be the holding down option, as this will be easier for qualifying, although for races it doesn't really matter if you only press it once as it returns to it's original state as soon as you touch the break/go under 90% throttle.

I wonder if we'll get team rear wing strategies? Say the two Red Bulls get a second lead over everyone else they could take it in turns to overtake each other on the straight of alternate laps, causing them as a pair to edge further ahead.

Jeez, looks like HRT is pretty much an obsession to you. 22 posts here, almost all related to it. Are you a former Durango/SGP lobbyist? Or just someone in need of psychological help?

I'm pretty sure the 107% will be calculated on the best Q1 time however, comparing it to Q3's would be quite meaningless. Track usually "improves" between the sessions thanks of rubber.

We all know HRT isn't gonna make it this week-end anyway, so leave it.

Neither, it's just that I love watching trainwrecks and make fun of them, although this could maybe qualify as needing psychological help. I find it extremely funny watching so many people putting so much effort, time and money into something and failing in an extremely comical fashion. As for SGP, yeah I'd rather see 'em on the grid than HRT, but that doesn't say much.

It seems you're right, according to this press release: "From 2011, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107% of the fastest Q1 qualifying time will not be allowed to take part in the race."

Most interesting for me was the movable rear wings, complicated rules or what!? And bow do you work out 867m as a distance!? Random nimbers

There is a mark on the track, I believe just before the final turn, that indicates where they can use it :)

But in P and Q, they are free to use it wherever

well, we all get wiser.
haven't watched any of the two sessions but from what I read here, the new gimmicks seem to grab all the attention (and HRTs awful job). I do not fancy the new gimmicks, this after all is racing and not some kind of gizmo-driven fun event (though on second thoughts, it might just qualify as that, lol), hope that one will get rid of all this soon and come up with some very stringent aerodynamics rules (no wings at all anyone?) which in one instance would make the racing meaningful and the cars beautiful.

That said, I'll probably watch most of the race Sunday morning, hope it'll be an interesting 90 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back