2011 DTM Season

• Unregistered

What a BMW about time they were back were they belong BMW POWER RULES

• Unregistered

How about this a night with Lucy Pinder or a night with the new BMW, I would take the BMW any night of the week. BMW M POWER MMMM bring on the new season & i know audi & mercedes are running scared of that beast

BMW Motorsport will continue its preparations for the 2012 DTM season with three more test days at the EuroSpeedway Lausitz. As was the case at the September tests at the Lausitzring and Hungaroring, the three DTM works teams BMW Team Schnitzer, BMW Team RBM and BMW Team RMG, will once again be present.
bmwdtm.jpg

Alongside BMW works drivers Augusto Farfus, Andy Priaulx, Jörg Müller and Dirk Werner, a further three drivers – René Rast, Jean-Karl Vernay and Richie Stanaway – will have the opportunity to test the newly developed BMW M3 DTM this time. 24-year-old Rast grew up in Formula BMW and has a wealth of experience in the field of sports and touring cars. He has already celebrated success and championship titles in several national and international racing series, including the Porsche Supercup. Vernay is 23 years old and enjoyed success in the Formula 3 Euroseries for several years, as well as racing successfully in other series. In 2010 he won the title in the North American Indy-Light series. Stanaway is 19 years old and the newly crowned champion in the German Formula 3 Cup, which he dominated with 13 race wins in the 2011 season.

"We are delighted to be able to offer a selection of talented, young drivers like René Rast, Jean-Karl Vernay and Richie Stanaway, the opportunity to test our BMW M3 DTM", says BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt. "They have already proven their ability in various racing series and we are now looking forward to seeing them in our DTM car. At the same time, the focus at the Lausitzring test will once again be to gather important information and data on the BMW M3 DTM, as we continue to prepare for the 2012 season."

BMW will line up in the 2012 DTM season with BMW Team Schnitzer, BMW Team RBM and BMW Team RMG. All three teams will each run two cars. So far, BMW has secured the services of the two current works drivers Priaulx and Farfus for the coming season.

Not too sure about the design yet. At least the black colors don't look very good to me. Lets hope this is just the test phase and the teams will use their own colorful liveries in 2012.Does anybody know if the last three added names are considered candidates for a race seat next year?

BMW Motorsport has announced its third driver for the coming DTM season: Bruno Spengler will drive one of the BMW M3 DTM cars from 2012. Three of the six BMW cockpits for the DTM comeback are now taken. Alongside the Canadian, Andy Priaulx and Augusto Farfus have already been confirmed for 2012.
spengler.jpg

"In recent weeks we have not only been developing the BMW M3 DTM, but have also been working on the driver line-up for our return to the DTM," says BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt. "Outside our current line-up, Bruno Spengler was one of our top choices. Despite his youth he has a lot of DTM experience, which will greatly assist us during our development phase and on race weekends. For this reason, we did not hesitate when the opportunity to sign Bruno up arose. We have yet to decide which of our three teams he will drive for. That will be announced at a later stage."

Spengler made his debut in the DTM in 2005, and has certainly made his mark on the series. The 28-year-old has been on the top step of the podium nine times in 74 starts. In addition, the French-Canadian has claimed 11 pole positions and set 12 fastest laps to date. Twice – in 2006 and 2007 – Spengler narrowly missed out on the DTM title, ending up second in the drivers’ classification on each occasion. In 2011 he finished third overall for Mercedes-Benz.

Car presentations at Hockenheim

BMW, Audi and Mercedes presented their 2012 spec cars to the audience in Hockenheim last weekend. Here is a short impression of the new contenders.

Find more DTM news and discussions in our motorsport forum

With all respect. Tom didn't really perform well the last two seasons in WTCC. In his privateer days I always thought he could be a race winner with the right factory material. But with both the Seat TDI and now with the 320 TC he isn't consistent enough to run for the championship. The way he gave away a podium in Valencia will not be tolerated in the DTM i fear. I put my money on Jorg Moller, he has been with BMW for years now in various series and he really deserves a spot in the team. I was actually surprised to read that he wan't even officially confirmed yet.

Coronel is a good driver only a bit overenthusiastic, and the WTCC is always chaos :p DTM is a bit 'easier' on that, but the cars are harder to driver I guess as the DTM has way more engine power.I would like to see Coronel a season in the DTM and review his season. Giving him the option in his contract to stay in DTM when the results are good or head back to WTCC when they are dissappointing, it would be a great learning oppurtunity for Tom anyways.

Shortly after making his first appearance as a BMW works driver at the BMW Sports Trophy, Martin Tomczyk is now set to climb behind the wheel of the BMW M3 DTM for the first time. From 6th to 8th December, the reigning DTM champion will be testing for BMW at the “Monteblanco Circuit” near Seville. The three manufacturers involved in the DTM will meet for the last time this year for another joint test at the circuit in southern Spain.

"I am already really looking forward to getting in the car for the first time," said Tomczyk. "It is very exciting to get to know new people in the team and to drive a new car. For me, Spain will be all about finding my feet in the team and familiarising myself with the BMW M3 DTM. At the same time, I also want to start doing my bit towards the development work by offering my feedback. We will all be doing our utmost to ensure that BMW's return to the DTM is a success."
Tomczyk will be joined at the tests by Andy Priaulx and Bruno Spengler. They will be alternating in the three cars belonging to BMW Team Schnitzer, BMW Team RBM and BMW Team RMG. The fourth works driver confirmed for the DTM project, Augusto Farfus, was in action a fortnight ago at the Monteblanco test, and so sits this test out.
This gives another two DTM newcomers the opportunity to take to the track in the BMW M3 DTM: Romain Grosjean and Marco Wittmann. Reigning GP2-Champion Grosjean, a Formula One test driver and former Grand Prix driver, is familiar with the DTM environment from his time in the Formula 3 Euro series, in which he won the title in 2007. Wittmann learned his trade in Formula BMW and has spent the last few years racing in the Formula 3 Euro series. Just two weeks ago he produced an impressive performance at the renowned Formula 3 Macau Grand Prix, where he started from pole and went on to claim a fine podium finish.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back