2011 British Touring Car Championship

quote "On top of that, for the first time, ITV is also providing live coverage of BTCC action on Saturdays in 2011 with every one of the season's timed qualifying sessions being shown online at www.itv.com/touringcars"

about time we got to see Saturdays racing & quali, shame its not on ITV HD but better than nothing :D

Shedden on Thruxton pole
Gordon Shedden has qualified on pole position for tomorrow’s Dunlop British Touring Car Championship round at the high speed Thruxton circuit in Hampshire.

Scotsman Shedden set a best time of 1m17.004s to secure his second consecutive pole at Thruxton and also the third in a row this year for his Honda Racing Team. As a result, he will start at the front when the grid lines up for the first of tomorrow’s three races – being shown live on the ITV4 and ITV4 HD

Rising star Andrew Jordan was second fastest in his Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra, just 0.062s behind. Third was Shedden’s team-mate Matt Neal, currently second in the standings, but championship leader James Nash could only manage the tenth fastest time in his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vectra that is carrying the maximum success ballast of 45kgs.

Fife racer Shedden, currently seventh in the standings, said: “I’m really pleased with that performance as I needed to give it everything considering how tight it is at the top. The high speeds here always make tyre wear a real concern over a race distance, but from the runs we did this morning in practice our tyres looked mint so I think we’re in good shape for tomorrow as well.”

Lichfield youngster Jordan, fourth in the table after his win at Donington Park a fortnight ago, commented: “I’m very happy with that. I’ve got a little bit of success ballast in my car, plus it was the first time we’d put a qualifying set-up on the car because we’d concentrated only on race performance in practice. After all it’s tomorrow when the points are scored and this has always been a happy hunting ground for the Vectra.”

Nash, meanwhile, knows he needs to make up places tomorrow if he’s to prevent the likes of Neal dislodging him from the championship lead. He added: “I made a mess of what would have been my best lap but even if I’d made it count it might have only gained me a few places. On saying that, in race trim I think we’ll be quite a bit stronger than some of those starting in front of us.”

The top three qualified more than half a second clear of the rest of the field. Completing the top six were Tom Chilton's Team Aon Ford Focus, reigning Champion Jason Plato's Silverline Chevrolet Cruze, the highest placed of the normally aspirated runners, and Tom Onslow-Cole in his AmD Milltek Racing.com VW Golf – by far the car’s best qualifying performance to date.

Local stars Robert Collard and Nick Foster, both from Hook, qualified 14th and 17th fastest in their WSR BMWs but some are tipping their cars to come on strong as tomorrow’s three races progress.

All three races will be shown live tomorrow on the ITV4 and ITV4 HD television channels as well as itv.com during a seven-hour broadcast from 11.00am-6.00pm.

For full times click on this link http:/www.btcc.net/html/raceresults_detail.php?race_id=80&season_id=54

btcc.net

THRUXTON RE-CAP

Gordon Shedden, Matt Neal and Jason Plato shared the race wins in today’s three spectacular Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship races at the high speed Thruxton circuit in Hampshire. As a result it is Worcestershire’s Neal, this year seeking a third BTCC Drivers’ crown, who leads the points table as the championship now heads to the picturesque Oulton Park circuit in Cheshire for its next three races of 2011 on Sunday 5 June.

From pole position, Scottish ace Shedden’s Honda Racing Team Civic led home the sister car of Neal in Thruxton’s first race as Lichfield youngster Andrew Jordan took third in his Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra. But reigning Champion Plato’s recent run of bad luck continued – following a dramatic roll at Donington Park two weeks earlier he crashed out of the race at 100mph with a flat tyre on his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze.

In race two Neal was unstoppable as he took a clear victory – his third of the season – ahead of Jordan and Shedden. But a penalty later dropped Jordan to third behind Shedden meaning the Honda team could celebrate its second 1-2 result of the day.

Oxford’s Plato then led all the way to win race three. For the second event in a row his mechanics had rebuilt his battered car and this time he rewarded them with a victory ahead of the Airwaves Racing Ford Focus of Warwickshire’s Mat Jackson and the SEAT Leon of Preston’s Tom Boardman who achieved his and his small Special Tuning Racing team’s first outright podium result in third.

But it is Neal who leaves Thruxton with a 12-point lead at the top of the championship from Jackson. James Nash, who had led the standings going into today in his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra, is now third ahead of Jordan, Shedden and Plato.

Droitwich Spa racer Neal said: “We’ve had a great day – a pair of 1-2 results for Honda plus a bucketful of points at what in the past has been a bit of a bogey track for me. We’re flying at the moment and we need to because it is starting to get very, very competitive at the front. We need to keep banging in the results because it isn’t going to go all our way at every event.”

Henley-in-Arden’s Jackson, who also leads the Independent drivers’ standings from Nash and Jordan, added: “Finishing on the podium in race three was vital as it had been a bit of a tough day for us up until that point. We keep picking up the points and we’re still very much in touch at the top of the table which is what it’s all about at this stage.”

Newport Pagnell’s Nash, who like Jackson has finished every race so far in the points, commented: “I’d never raced a car with a roof on it here before and so was playing catch-up a bit during the weekend. But we’ve still taken a healthy dose of points, including a fourth place in race three, and it’s important to keep that going. Different circuits will favour different cars and it could swing back in our favour at the next one.”

Unsurprisingly, Honda/Dynamics and the Honda Racing Team have extended their respective leads in the BTCC’s Manufacturers/Constructors and HiQ Teams championships. Airwaves Racing, meanwhile, has leapfrogged both Pirtek Racing and 888 Racing with Collins Contractors to take over the Independent Teams championship lead.

Elsewhere, a number of drivers were punished at Thruxton for on-track indiscretions: Race 2, Andrew Jordan, 1.3s time penalty and loss of one place; Race 2, Alex MacDowall, officially reprimanded and 2 penalty points on his competition licence; Paul O’Neill, officially reprimanded and 2 penalty points (from Donington Park).

btcc.net

Gordon Shedden, Matt Neal and Jason Plato shared the race wins in today’s three spectacular Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship races at the high speed Thruxton circuit in Hampshire. As a result it is Worcestershire’s Neal, this year seeking a third BTCC Drivers’ crown, who leads the points table as the championship now heads to the picturesque Oulton Park circuit in Cheshire for its next three races of 2011 on Sunday 5 June.

From pole position, Scottish ace Shedden’s Honda Racing Team Civic led home the sister car of Neal in Thruxton’s first race as Lichfield youngster Andrew Jordan took third in his Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra. But reigning Champion Plato’s recent run of bad luck continued – following a dramatic roll at Donington Park two weeks earlier he crashed out of the race at 100mph with a flat tyre on his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze.

In race two Neal was unstoppable as he took a clear victory – his third of the season – ahead of Jordan and Shedden. But a penalty later dropped Jordan to third behind Shedden meaning the Honda team could celebrate its second 1-2 result of the day.

Oxford’s Plato then led all the way to win race three. For the second event in a row his mechanics had rebuilt his battered car and this time he rewarded them with a victory ahead of the Airwaves Racing Ford Focus of Warwickshire’s Mat Jackson and the SEAT Leon of Preston’s Tom Boardman who achieved his and his small Special Tuning Racing team’s first outright podium result in third.

But it is Neal who leaves Thruxton with a 12-point lead at the top of the championship from Jackson. James Nash, who had led the standings going into today in his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra, is now third ahead of Jordan, Shedden and Plato.

Droitwich Spa racer Neal said: “We’ve had a great day – a pair of 1-2 results for Honda plus a bucketful of points at what in the past has been a bit of a bogey track for me. We’re flying at the moment and we need to because it is starting to get very, very competitive at the front. We need to keep banging in the results because it isn’t going to go all our way at every event.”

Henley-in-Arden’s Jackson, who also leads the Independent drivers’ standings from Nash and Jordan, added: “Finishing on the podium in race three was vital as it had been a bit of a tough day for us up until that point. We keep picking up the points and we’re still very much in touch at the top of the table which is what it’s all about at this stage.”

Newport Pagnell’s Nash, who like Jackson has finished every race so far in the points, commented: “I’d never raced a car with a roof on it here before and so was playing catch-up a bit during the weekend. But we’ve still taken a healthy dose of points, including a fourth place in race three, and it’s important to keep that going. Different circuits will favour different cars and it could swing back in our favour at the next one.”

Unsurprisingly, Honda/Dynamics and the Honda Racing Team have extended their respective leads in the BTCC’s Manufacturers/Constructors and HiQ Teams championships. Airwaves Racing, meanwhile, has leapfrogged both Pirtek Racing and 888 Racing with Collins Contractors to take over the Independent Teams championship lead.

Elsewhere, a number of drivers were punished at Thruxton for on-track indiscretions: Race 2, Andrew Jordan, 1.3s time penalty and loss of one place; Race 2, Alex MacDowall, officially reprimanded and 2 penalty points on his competition licence; Paul O’Neill, officially reprimanded and 2 penalty points (from Donington Park).

ITV coverage was very good again:good:.

The action on track wasn't as close as some seasons though. I think more balancing of these Turbo engines is needed. Pity the Toyotas are still well off the pace. Well done to AMD and TOC for getting the VW in the thick of it though. And what an awesome bit of car control from Boardman in the Seat. Never thought I'd see such a long and graceful drift as that in a FWD car!!!

i was there yesterday and personally the Chevy was fine, keeping up with the turbo cars well and in race 3 the turbo cars couldnt keep up with Plato so personally i think no more balancing needs to be done. To be honest i dont think the teams running turbos will take any more rubbish from Plato/Chevrolet because at the end of the day the turbo cars outnumber the n/a ones by almost 3 times

The BTCC is back in action after a 5 week gap at the picturesque Oulton Park circuit in Cheshire, the North West of England. Gordon Shedden and Matt Neal made it a Honda 1-2 in Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship qualifying at Oulton Park but the big shock was Andy Neate in third.

Scottish ace Shedden romped to his second pole in a row with a best time of 1m27.355s. The Honda Racing Team has now taken pole in all four qualifying sessions so far this season. Notably championship leader Neal’s time of 1m27.505s was achieved despite his Civic carrying the maximum 45kgs of success ballast.

SI-BTCC-OultonPark2011-Qualifying_9395.jpg
Photo: Shedden in his Honda Civic on his way to Pole Position

Shedden from Dalgety Bay, Fife said: “I’m delighted. This place has been kind to me in the past and this puts me in the perfect position to go for more wins which I need if I’m to get back into the title scrap.”

However, the story of qualifying was Neate’s drive to the third fastest time in his Team Aon Ford Focus. The Aylesbury driver, who only returned to racing 12 months ago after two years spent recovering from a near fatal crash, set a best time of 1m27.778s for what is by far the best qualifying result of his BTCC career.

SI-BTCC-OultonPark2011-Qualifying_9992.jpg
Photo: Andy Neate and his team worked hard for their best qualifying of the year so far.

He commented: “Things haven’t gone my way in the first three events and I’ve been going home a bit of a miserable sod so this feels great. I even think a front row position was on because another car got in my way on what could have been a quicker lap but I’ll take third any day. I’m also sure we have enough performance to hold on to third in race trim, but living with the Hondas might be a bit too much to ask…”

Fourth was reigning champion Jason Plato in his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze while Andrew Jordan’s Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra and Neate’s team-mate Tom Chilton completed the top six.

But several drivers missed out on a chance to improve their times as the session was stopped early following a rash of accidents, caused by oil that had been dropped on the track. There was also a separate, spectacular crash into the barriers for Plato’s young team-mate Alex MacDowall who commented: “The car just got away from me on a kerb and the only response I got from my mechanic when I asked him what the damage was like was ‘expensive’. A shame as up to that point I was on for third on the grid…”

Leading BTCC qualifying times, Oulton Park Sat 4 June (provisional):
1. Gordon Shedden (GBR), Honda Racing Team/Honda Civic, 1m27.355s
2. Matt Neal (GBR), Honda Racing Team/Honda Civic, +0.150s
3. Andy Neate (GBR), Team Aon/Ford Focus, +0.423s
4. Jason Plato (GBR), Silverline Chevrolet/Chevrolet Cruze, +0.427s
5. Andrew Jordan (GBR), Pirtek Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, +0.559s
6. Tom Chilton (GBR), Team Aon/Ford Focus, +0.689s
7. Alex MacDowall (GBR), Silverline Chevrolet/Chevrolet Cruze, +0.736s
8. Paul O’Neill (GBR), GoMobileUK.com with tech-speed/Chevrolet Cruze, +0.923s
9. James Nash (GBR), 888 Racing with Collins Contractors/Vauxhall Vectra, +0.964s
10. Mat Jackson (GBR), Airwaves Racing/Ford Focus, +1.090s

All three of tomorrow’s BTCC races from Oulton Park will be shown live on television on the ITV4 and ITV4 HD channels as well as the www.itv.com website during a non-stop broadcast from 11.30am-6.00pm.

oh Plato needs to shutup he wont be happy until he is winning every race and the turbo cars are right at teh back, imo for slagging off Alan Gow as he did he deserves to be penalised

i can just imagine him at his kids sports day "oh no you didnt win, we will do absolutely everything we can to make sure it look as if the other child cheated."

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%