2010 World Rally Championship

Great video Bram. Extremely fast and fascinating cars. My favourites has to be the Renault and the Lancia 037. The ring tone on my cellphone is actually a recording of Michèle Mouton taking the Audi S1 for a spin:D

EDIT: Did you notice the Ferrari 308 at 2:40 and the BMW M1 at 9:10. Never seen that footage before.
Very nice find!

Attachments

• Lancia Rally-037 08.jpg
    Lancia Rally-037 08.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Renault R5 Maxi Turbo 18.jpg
    Renault R5 Maxi Turbo 18.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 221
Great video Bram, I have lots of historical Rally DVD's but not seen this one.
Those Rally Cars were absolutely insane, hugely overpowered and the driver skill is amazing.

The most insane part of those Rally's is the crowds, huge numbers lined up at the roadside edge and even in front of the cars as they arrive. I can't believe that more spectators weren't killed when you consider the difficulty of the cars being driven and the speeds involved.

Ah!! Those were the days. :drool:

I love the Group B era, but it was just too dangerous. The cars were only going to get faster (as if they weren't fast enough - they were quicker to 100km/h than a modern F1 car, ON DIRT... :ooh:), and the spectators lining the route was just crazy. I remember seeing a video of one of the Audi drivers (dangit, I can't remember his name) going along a route, and he was missing crowds of people by mere inches. A testament to his skill I guess, but it was only a matter of time before one of those cars killed a whole bunch of people.

Group B would be entirely possible today, with the right safety measures... I mean, look at Pikes Peak... but I suppose it belongs in the past. :)

Omg! Those old cars look more masculine. Now they have been more feminine imo :D

Also those crowds are all insane. I believe they were pumping more adrenaline than the racers ! :ooh:

For safety they are ruining every motorsports! Let them do these. They are doing it with their own will. Why need so much safety ? We always enter more dangers than those in city traffic after all.

Thank you for this great 11 minutes :)

Tomorrow morning it really starts. One 1,9 km long SSS in finished tonight and Dani Sordo is leading by 2,0 seconds. Rest of the top pack is following really close behind. 5,2 seconds separates 1st and 10th car. Petter Solberg spun on the stage and lost 20 seconds, so he has to work hard tomorrow to get it back but he is a true fighter.

Sordo seems to be very confident after his succesful test rally two weeks ago but there's many others who can win. Loeb, Hirvonen, Latvala, Ogier and Gronholm are all fast so hopefully we'll see lots of great action during the weekend. And how will Kimi do in his first WRC rally? Not a winner yet but can he score his first WRC points? We'll see the answer at Sunday afternoon.

Results:
http://wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=405&season=2010&rally_id=S

WRC homepage which has lots of nice videos:
http://wrc.com/index.jsp

Will keep an eye on this to see Kimi's performance. But i won'T expect something very succesful from him, at his first rallies.

Edit : Owh! just saw he is 8th at SSS. Great start:smile:

Lol, epic. Peter van merksteijn also participates. the guy whit who Jos Verstappen won LMS and Le Mans in LMP2 class in 2008. he also participated in last year's Dakar.

The guy must have some money or sponsorship.

All right, a small update.

After two days Hirvonen leads Loeb by 16 seconds. Latvala is third 51 seconds behind and Sordo 4th 1:40 from the leader. Then Ogier, Henning Solberg, Wilson...

Gronholm had technical issues yesterday and is far behind but managed still to win one stage today.

Räikkönen has been shoveling the snow off under his car once both at Friday and Saturday. He is about 35 minutes from the lead but he is saying that driving feels better all the time. Stage times are proving what he says and in times he is now competiting equally against for example Solberg brothers.

This SS15 for example:
http://wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=405&season=2010&rally_id=S&category=&stage=15

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 327 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 218 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%