2010 GT1 World Championship

5114335635_acd02feca4_m.jpgThe main dish of this weekend at Navarra Los Arcos circuit was the FIA GT1 World Championship.

Lamborghini completed a fantastic weekend by winning both the qualifying and the championship races.

Ricardo Zonta and Frank Kechele won by 11 seconds after an intense hour of racing. Second was the Aston Martin No.9 of Fred Makowiecki and Yann Clairay with the Sumo Power Nissan GT-R No.22 of Jamie Campbell-Walter and Warren Hughes third.

RaceDepartment media team was there to bring you some bits of the action HERE

For all those that love GT racing in the US, the Speed Channel is showing 1 hour shows of each race. They have already shown the Yas Marina and Silverstone. Today at noon Eastern time will be Brno followed by Paul Ricard at 1 pm.

What is happening all of a sudden. The 2011 calendar is out and some of the premium tracks like Nurburgring and Spa have been replaced by minor circuits. Teams bail out and no new brands have been added to the series for next year.

Has the end of GT1 now really come ? :frown:

I think the decision of the ACO (Le Mans 24 organizers) to ban the GT1 cars from the race of races has a really negative side effect on the FIA GT1 series.

Well, they didn't exactly "ban" GT1 from Le Mans - I think it was more to do with the dwindling grid sizes of the class at the race, so the ACO decided to remove the category from its lineup. If I recall, there were only three or so GT1 cars at Le Mans in 2010.

Looks like the GT1 cars may be able to run the 24hrs of Spa, but it won't be part of the championship. It is the one Endurance Series race that isn't limited to GT3/GT4 cars, from what I can tell.

The former GT1 cars (Saleen/Ford GT etc.) in the LMS/ALMS will be able to participate in those races for one more year in the GTE-Am classification.

Personally, I see it as part of a cycle. Even if GT1 goes away for a bit (and it still may not), at some point, the big boys are going to want to come out and play again, and either a new series will come or they will become a branch of another series again (such as the aformentioned endurance series)...

I would really like to see the current GT1 series cars ALL in LMS/ALMS with the longer races, under their current rules-set (even if they run as companion races instead of mixed-class). I don't think the stand-alone series is sustainable.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back