2010 F1 regulations finalised

• Matthew Trivett

All the fires I can think of in recent years have been because of or during refuelling, of all the high impact smashes we've had in F1 in the last few years I don't recall any turning into fireball's. Most of the 'overtaking' these days sadly is in the pits so maybe drivers might actually be tempted to try it on the track rather than sit back and wait for their pit stop strategy to fall into place.
I agree, most fires have been in the pits, but I see this as the result of smaller fuel loads on the track from ages hence. I feel we are stepping backwards...

I agree, most fires have been in the pits, but I see this as the result of smaller fuel loads on the track from ages hence. I feel we are stepping backwards...

I have to disagree there Matthew. While looking at some iRacing video's I came across Ronnie Peterson's crash at Monza where his car erupted in flames after the crash. I've not seen that in all of the big F1 crashes even the large ones like Kubica's at Canada a season or two ago. The fuel tanks just don't rupture like they did back in Peterson's day even when the rest of the car is destroyed. All of the fires I remember in recent times were from refuelling where its very easy for the fuel to come into contact with hot exhaust's etc.

From a racing standpoint I'd like to see races taken away from the guys in the pitwall. Ross Brawn's tactical brain is legendary but wouldn't you rather see the race result come from what happens on the track and not whose smartest on the pit wall or quickest in the pitlane?

True Kevin. Should be about the race, not the strategy. But still, strategy must play a part, so I'm happy they kept the tyre rules. Perhaps they could sack the rule of having to use both comounds?

It's will be virtually impossible to have a car burt into flames. The new fuel tanks are made of kevlar and are able to bend, so of the car takes serious damage, it will adapt in a way.

for what my opinion is worth,
- Minimum car weight incrased to 620 kg (previously 605 kg)

- Mid-race refuelling banned
why!?! you still have to stop for tires, why not stick some fuel in rather than at the start all the cars lumbering off the line with full fuel.

- Qualifying to be contested on low fuel (Q3 previously contested on race fuel)
why bother having Q1,2,3 anymore when in all 3 sessions you can run tiny amounts of fuel.

- Tyre warmers banned
I believe like someone said this had been overturned but anyway it was a random rule that does not save money or improve racing at all.

- Stewards can now drop a driver any number of grid positions at a driver's next race if he is involved in a racing incident (previously drivers were dropped 10 grid places)
fair enough, now mclaren ....urm.. I mean everyone can get penalised 25 places every race if they cough at anyone wrongly.

- KERS no longer allowed to operate when a car is travelling above 300 km/h
well nearly everytime KERS is deployed it's to get out of a corner, if it was used above 300km/h it was for the odd overtake (which is what KERS was designed for) but now they cant even use it for the reason it was designed!

- KERS energy storage (battery or flywheel) must be located behind the driver and in front of the engine
Dont know the design of an F1 car but doesnt the driver sit a few inches away from the engine anyway?

- Teams can avail of a voluntary £40m budget cap, offering them greater 'technical freedom'
The big teams can still spend their way out of that by doing this such as buying a simulator instead of testing (I know its not that effective for testing parts but still) and having the money to develop an engine that is as good on its 4th race for example than the capped teams ones are on their 1st (if you get what I mean :p).

For Capped Teams;
- No restriction on engine revs (non-capped teams limited to 18,000 rpm)
WOW! is this the first sign of F1 getting back to some or its 'good ol' days'!? Glad to see this rule. (lol the only rule I am glad of so far)

- KERS to be twice as powerful, producing just over 160 hp of boost for 6.67s per lap (non-capped teams limited to 80 hp for 6.67s per lap)
Also like this rule, will be good to see the smaller capped teams overtaking the bigger teams at the start (if they have KERS of course).

- Four-wheel drive permitted (non-capped teams limited to two driven wheels)
What the! We're racing on smooth tarmac(or whatever asphalt???:S) WE ARE NOT OFF-ROADING!

- KERS permitted to drive all four wheels (non-capped teams limited to KERS powering the rear wheels

the power will still be same, so wont really make too much difference if you have 25% on 4 tires or 50% on 2.

Anyway thats my rant, feel free to argue, this is forumla1 afterall :p

Dan.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back