2010 F1 regulations finalised

W

Wido Rossen

• Wido Rossen

Yesterday the FIA published the finalised 2010 F1 regulations, confirming a raft of new rules for the sport, along with the controversial £40m voluntary budget cap. Here is a summary of all the rule changes to take effect from next year.

2010 rule changes
- Minimum car weight incrased to 620 kg (previously 605 kg)
- Mid-race refuelling banned
- Qualifying to be contested on low fuel (Q3 previously contested on race fuel)
- Tyre warmers banned
- Maximum number of teams allowed to compete in the championship raised to 13 (from 12)
- Stewards can now drop a driver any number of grid positions at a driver's next race if he is involved in a racing incident (previously drivers were dropped 10 grid places)
- KERS no longer allowed to operate when a car is travelling above 300 km/h
- KERS energy storage (battery or flywheel) must be located behind the driver and in front of the engine
- Rear brake pressure may be reduced by use of a valve during KERS use
- Tyres must now be inflated with only air or nitrogen (CO2 also previously allowed)
- Teams can avail of a voluntary £40m budget cap, offering them greater 'technical freedom'

'Technical freedom' offered to budget-capped teams
- No limit on testing mileage or dates (non-capped teams limited to 15,000 km between 1 January and week of first race)
- No restrictions on wind tunnel scale or speed (non-capped teams restricted to 60% scale and 50m/s rolling road speed)
- No restriction on use of engines during a season (non-capped teams limited to eight engines per season)
- No restriction on use of gearboxes during a season (non-capped teams forced to run with four-race gearboxes)
- Moveable front wing allowed to move 10° any number of times per lap (non-capped teams allowed 6° movement twice per lap)
- Moveable rear wing permitted, controlled by driver (not available for non-capped teams)
- No restriction on engine revs (non-capped teams limited to 18,000 rpm)
- KERS to be twice as powerful, producing just over 160 hp of boost for 6.67s per lap (non-capped teams limited to 80 hp for 6.67s per lap)
- Four-wheel drive permitted (non-capped teams limited to two driven wheels)
- KERS permitted to drive all four wheels (non-capped teams limited to KERS powering the rear wheels)

• Emerald Emblem

Well this is good news for Brawn with their sponsorship from Virgin.

• mightiestmike

Did I read this right...Four Wheel Drive permitted!!!!!

I'm not shure what to think of that.

Uhh... check the date, everyone. The "technical freedom" rules were, I believe, largely eliminated in all of the discussions since then. Of course, the FIA still has not posted updated rules, so no one is really sure...

That's one of the most dangerous rule changes, some drivers already told their opinions about it during the winter tests. Without tire warmers, cars coming out of the pits will be ridiculously slow, and that'll be dangerous, I wonder why they banned tire warmers... is it about money?

These are the confirmed changes (budget cap is in discussion)
Souce: Wikipedia

• [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homologation"]Homologation[/ame] of front and rear wings.
  • A limit on the number of aerodynamic upgrades permitted over the course of a season.
  • A continuation of the ban on in-season testing introduced for 2009.
  • Restrictions on the number of team personnel who can attend a Grand Prix weekend.
  • Complete closures of team factories over the mid-season summer break.

• Matthew Trivett

No mid race refueling means that there is more fuel in the cars, which is far more dangerous to the drivers........................ Dumb.

No mid race refueling means that there is more fuel in the cars, which is far more dangerous to the drivers........................ Dumb.

All the fires I can think of in recent years have been because of or during refuelling, of all the high impact smashes we've had in F1 in the last few years I don't recall any turning into fireball's. Most of the 'overtaking' these days sadly is in the pits so maybe drivers might actually be tempted to try it on the track rather than sit back and wait for their pit stop strategy to fall into place.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 39.0%