2009 Superbike World Championship

• Wido Rossen

Baldassare Monti loses life in road accident

Baldassare Monti, who raced in World Superbike from 1989 to 1993, lost his life in a road accident near Parma, Italy yesterday. He was returning home on a scooter to Sorbolo Levante, when a driver turned out in front of him and he was killed outright. He was 47 years of age.

Baldassare was a factory Honda and Ducati rider in World Superbike in the early ‘90s, team-mate to world champions Fred Merkel and Raymond Roche. He began racing in 1986.

In 1988 he took part in 37 races, winning 28 and was crowned Italian Production champion.

In World Superbike he never quite managed to win a race and finished in eighth place in both 1989 and 1990.

Monti's career came to an end with a serious crash and since then he has lived with his family at home.

WorldSBK.com sends its condolences to the family.

RIP

• Wido Rossen

Régis Laconi on Ducatti in 2009

The DFX Corse team, run by Daniele Carli, has snapped up Frenchman Régis Laconi for the 2009 World Superbike season, with an option for 2010. The other news from the team based in the Veneto region of north-east Italy is that after three seasons with Honda, DFX will change manufacturer and switch to Ducati.

Laconi can be considered one of the ‘veterans' of World Superbike. The 33 year-old from Saint-Dizier has taken part in a total of 167 WSBK races, winning 11 and taking seven pole positions.

His best championship result was when he finished runner-up to team-mate James Toseland in the 2004 season on the factory Ducati Fila 999. This year he raced for the San Marino-based Kawasaki PSG-1 Corse squad, but could only finish sixteenth overall, with eighth place at Valencia his best result.

• Kieran Mcgeachy

Roll on the 2009 season, guna be great as always :D

• Wido Rossen

In the opening session of the second day of testing at Portimao, Troy Corser delivered a boost to his new BMW Motorrad Team Alpha Racing squad, by heading up the time sheets. His team-mate Ruben Xaus was only just behind Corser, as the BMW roundel made its mark on WSB early in the life of their World Superbike programme.

thumb_BMW_S1000RR_Lausitzring_3.jpg

Corser's best session time of 1'50.946 was well down in the overall best from day one, when the track was considerably drier than this morning, and only 14 riders ventured out on track.

thumb_BMW_S1000RR_Lausitzring_5.jpg

Jakub Smrz (Guandalini Ducati) was third fastest and another new entry to WSB in 2009, Shinya Nakano and his Aprilia RSV-4, went into the top four.

thumb_BMW_S1000RR_Lausitzring_2.jpg

Regis Laconi was the second Ducati rider in the rankings today, on his DFX 1098RS, while Luca Scassa was sixth on a Pedercini Kawasaki.

Here the test results from Portimao.

1 67 Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R 1'43.294
2 19 Spies B. (USA) Yamaha YZF R1 1'43.484
3 41 Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 1'43.487
4 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1'43.546
5 7 Checa C. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 1'43.657
6 76 Neukirchner M. (GER) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 1'43.674
7 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 1'43.767
8 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1'43.951
9 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.115
10 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.170
11 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.261
12 71 Kagayama Y. (JPN) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 1'44.425
13 55 Laconi R. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'44.546
14 9 Kiyonari R. (JPN) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.610
15 23 Parkes B. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'44.704
16 53 Polita A. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1'45.108
17 56 Nakano S. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 1'45.179
18 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 1'45.199
19 24 Roberts B. (AUS) Ducati 1098R 1'45.278
20 25 Salom D. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'45.393
21 100 Tamada M. (JPN) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'45.446
22 36 Lavilla G. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 1'45.672
23 33 Hill T. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'45.679
24 99 Scassa L. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'45.820
25 111 Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 1'46.128
26 44 Rolfo R. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 1'46.916
27 77 Iannuzzo V. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 1'46.971

Corser puts in a respectable time a say.

In the Supersport class, on a rapidly drying track, Andrew Pitt held off his fellow Hannspree Ten Kate Honda team-mate Kenan Sofuoglu, with both riders less than a second from the track best in still not yet ideal conditions in the early session. Their late burst of speed displaced Yamaha rider Cal Crutchlow and Kawasaki force Joan Lascorz to third and fourth rankings. New Supersport talent Michele Pirro went fifth fastest in a session with 29 participants.

• Wido Rossen

New Kawasaki team for Supersport 600

In its first full official test the new Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R performed well in the hands of proven World Supersport race winners Joan Lascorz and Katsuaki Fujiwara, with Lascorz fastest rider of all at Portimao.

b__062_T03_Lascorz_action.jpg

The team Provec Motocard.com, predominantly Spanish in make-up, was a privateer Honda squad last year but its success in taking Lascorz to a race victory at Valencia and fifth overall in the 2008 rankings saw the team nominated to take up the role as official Kawasaki entry for 2009.

Fujiwara has remained with the Japanese manufacturer this year and spent most of his test working through a vast array of set-up options, while Lascorz was able to alternate between setting fast times and working on a full-race set-up.

The early signs this year are that Kawasaki may be about to stage a major comeback in this important sector of racing, having won the WSS Riders' Championship back in 2001 - thanks to one of Lascorz and Fujiwara's main 2009 rivals, Andrew Pitt.

Lascorz was happy with his lap times but knows there is work to do at their next test sessions in Calafat before the season starts for real. "Obviously the bike is competitive, even if we still have work to do to get the set-up 100%", said the 23-year-old Catalan rider. "I think we have a good chance because Sofuoglu, for example, knows his bike very well and his team very well. It is all new for us, but we are at more or less the same level. By working in better directions we can be even more competitive. We will be concentrating on the suspension at our Calafat tests but we have been able to make good laps here and we have more to come."

For Fujiwara, a six-time WSS race winner, his role at Portimao was tough but rewarding. "I spent a lot of time at this test working with the engineers to try out a lot of different settings and parts", said 'Kats'. "I did that more than think about lap times. We made very good progress, on both engine and chassis settings, and I think we are in a good place. We are ready to take on the championship next month in Australia. I think the bike is already at a very good level, in many areas".

( Source SBK )

• Wido Rossen

John Hopkins to WSB?

Former Kawasaki MotoGP rider John Hopkins could be poised for a sensational switch to the World Superbike Championship.

hopkins.jpg

MCN understands that the American is in negotiations with the Stiggy Honda Motorsport team to ride along side Britain’s Leon Haslam on a CBR1000RR Fireblade.

Following the news at the end of last year that Kawasaki were pulling out of MotoGP with immediate effect, Hopkins has been sidelined and originally stated that he wouldn’t consider a switch to WSB.

The ride in the Stiggy Honda Motorsports team has become available following Haslam’s current team-mate Roberto Rolfo dislocating his shoulder.

The Italian struggled at last weeks Parkalgar test in Portugal and remains unfit to ride leading to speculation that Hopkins will be joining the team.

• Wido Rossen

Triumph enters supersport 600 championship

Team ParkinGO Triumph BE1 Racing, owned by Giuliano Rovelli, has been presented in Milan. BE1 Racing will tackle the 2009 Supersport World Championship as the team of reference for the British company.

b__AP1_8265.jpg

At Triumph's showroom in Milan this year's two riders Garry McCoy and Gianluca Nannelli unveiled the livery of the 675 version '09 in front of a large number of journalists, sponsors and supporters. The presence of Paul Taylor, on behalf of the Factory, and Mario Lupano, CEO of the Italian subsidiary that has followed the team in the last two seasons, sanctioned the promotion of the ParkinGO BE1 Racing to 'Factory' Team status.

Afterwards, guest stars Elio e le Storie Tese took the floor and, as 'honorary technicians' of the team, explained the developments of the Daytona 675 2009 in their funny and ironic way.

Giuliano Rovelli (team owner): "I'm really glad to announce the promotion of BE1 Racing to Factory Team status. It means that we were able to do an excellent work in our first year of championship. Our 2009 goals are ambitious. We signed up two quick and experienced riders who are expected to help the team to grow further. During the last autumn we worked hard and during the first meeting with our rivals at Portimao testing we showed our improvements. It's still a long way to reach the top but we are burning to come back to work and we think to be on the right way".

Gianluca Nannelli: "I really wanted to become a member of this Team and I'm sure that this partnership will bear fruit. I have the opportunity to work shoulder to shoulder with a legend of world motorcycling. We have a mutual respect for each other and that allows us to capitalize our work in order to develop the bike: the Daytona 675 2009 improves lap by lap. The competition has never been so tight as it will be in the coming season, nevertheless I'm sure I can grab some satisfaction".

Garry McCoy: "I already knew the bike because I took it to the track last year with another team. In the last round of 2008 I had the chance to work with the Team ParkinGO Triumph BE1 Racing and that event started this partnership which will last all the season and will start in one month. The championship opening round will take place at Phillip Island, my home-track, where I have always had some thrilling and exciting races. I hope to give some excitement to all my fans and to the team".

• Wido Rossen

‘war paint' livery for YZF-R1 Motor Europe operations

The Yamaha World Superbike Team has unveiled their new racing livery for 2009, showing its new sponsors and ‘war paint' for the upcoming season. The team now fully belong to the Yamaha Motor Europe operations and so have been renamed ‘The Yamaha World Superbike Team'. With new riders on board, 3-time AMA Superbike champion Ben Spies and promising Brit Tom Sykes, and a brand new YZF-R1 race machine it's going to be an exciting championship. Both riders are new to the World Superbike series but have already proved to be fast and highly competitive in pre-season testing with their sights set firmly on winning in 2009.

yamahar1.jpg

The team's current sponsors are joined this year by new supporters BM Group, Yamalube, Parts Europe and Novation. They will sit alongside existing sponsors FIMER, Akrapovic, Meccanocar, Fabbri, NGK, Rapid Inside , Volvo, Domino, DID, Magneti Marelli, Beta and BMC.

The BM Group has almost 50 years of experience in manufacturing and supplying electrical connections and is a global market leader in its field.

Yamalube offers a line-up of oils and care products for motorcycles, scooters, ATVs and snowmobiles and is a partner in all of Yamaha's main global racing activities. Created by Yamaha, Yamalube offer precise formulas of oils to run all Yamaha engines at their optimum performance while offering maximum protection.

The sleek new design and livery of the 2009 YZF-R1 perfectly complements the impressive performance already achieved in pre-season testing by the team. Featuring the iconic ‘speedblock' design and painted in Yamaha's official racing blue colour, the livery will have immediate resonance with fans the world over. The all-new for 2009 bike features technology filtered from the world dominating M1 MotoGP bike ridden to victory in 2008 by world champion Valentino Rossi. Features include a crossplane crankshaft engine and a unique uneven firing order giving linear torque and greater traction, giving talented new riders Ben Spies and Tom Sykes the edge they need to get through and out of corners faster whatever the conditions.

The combination of Spies and Sykes with this awe inspiring machine have already proved to be a formidable pairing, consistently ranking at the top of the field in all pre-season testing so far. With the team continuing to fine tune and develop the bike, they will only get faster as they head out to Phillip Island for the next test next week, the final shake down before the world championship kicks off with round one in the Australian sunshine on the 1st March.

Ben Spies, Yamaha World Superbike Team

"The bike is incredibly confidence inspiring. The way it lays down the power so smoothly, especially through the corners in both the wet and the dry is incredible. It's got better and better over the last couple of months in testing, I really can't wait to get it on the start line at Phillip Island for that first race."

Tom Sykes, Yamaha World Superbike Team

"It's a challenge to get to grips with a new bike, new team and new championship all at the same time, however the fact the bike is amazing and the team so professional has made it a great challenge, I'm really working well with the new R1, the chassis feels really planted and poised, like Ben I can't wait to get out there and race with it!"

The Yamaha World Superbike team structure remains virtually the same for 2009 with the exception of two new replacements. Ben Spies' American Crew Chief Tom Houseworth has moved from the USA to join him in 2009 and Italian new-comer Sergio Verbena steps up to join Tom Sykes as his new Crew Chief for the upcoming championship battle.

With the global credit crunch affecting all areas of racing, The Yamaha World Superbike Team also needed to restructure their budgets by streamlining their operations to be as efficient as possible. Cost savings have been found in the logistics, including number of staff members traveling, as well as in several other areas, without compromising the ability to win on the track. They are determined and motivated to adapt to the situation and go out there and fight for the championship.

• Wido Rossen

The 2009 Hannspree FIM Superbike World Championship switched up a gear today with the traditional pre-event media conference and official photos at the Phillip Island circuit, venue for this weekend's opening round, which gets underway with practice and qualifying on Friday.

Given the interest in this year's championship, the press conference was a crowded affair. 11 Superbike and 7 Supersport riders took the opportunity to chat with the national and international media about their chances for this year and their thoughts on this weekend's race.

WSBKRiders.jpg

With the retirement of Troy Bayliss, his fellow Aussie Troy Corser has now, affectionately speaking, become the senior citizen of World Superbike and the Phillip Island lap record holder showed that he has lost none of the determination of his earlier years as he lines up for the debut season of German manufacturer BMW.

"Yes, who would have thought a few years ago that I would have been racing a BMW in World Superbike! It was a late start for us as I had to wait until my previous contract expired before I could test the bike, but we've made some good progress. Every time we've made a test, I've given them information and they've gone away and made some improvements, so fingers crossed we can keep doing that this year. Maybe for some people it's a bit of a gamble, but I think I've got enough experience to get to the front."

Max Biaggi faces a new challenge as well as he attempts to guide Aprilia back to Superbike success as the Italian manufacturer returns to the production-based series for the first time since 2002.

"The start of the season for me is different to last year and the year before that, because nothing was there when I started this new project with Aprilia. We had to make everything happen, and now we are trying to build this together. We have strong ambitions and want to try to make things happen this year. I love my team, they are great people, I pushed for them to come with me and be in the same team as years ago."

All eyes will also be on American Ben Spies, who will be attempting to transform his AMA triumphs into similar results on the world stage for Yamaha.

"The team is really good, the bike was a big change in switching to Yamaha from another manufacturer, and the tyres are new. Even for Yamaha the bike is new, so it's a big change for them too. It's been going really good so far, but it's going to be a tough year. There are a lot of fast guys around here and I'm used to racing pretty much one, now it's ten who can win the title so it's a really good series."

After many years racing a four-cylinder Yamaha, Noriyuki Haga this season switches to a twin-cylinder Ducati. The Japanese rider explained the differences he has encountered so far in pre-season testing.

"The biggest difference is of course the engine characteristics, in acceleration especially. Turning for me is not so different so far, but the riding feels more smoothly and more comfortable. Because the bike is already ready for winning, always I have big pressure because I have to win this season."

The opening round of the 2009 championship sees seven official manufacturers present and thirty-one permanent riders enrolled in the series, all racing on Pirelli control tyres. Local riders have won 23 of the 35 world superbike races held at Phillip Island over 18 years, with Corser leading the way on seven wins, followed by Troy Bayliss (six) and Anthony Gobert (five). The other Phillip Island winners in this year's field are Noriyuki Haga and Régis Laconi.

Season start`s at 1-03-2009

It all kicks off this weekend and it looks like being another good season :victory:.Plus there is a lot of good british riders this year and hopefully they will be battling for the championship....:clap:.

Here are the results
http://www.worldsbk.com/pubb_EN/result.php#

1. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Italia YZF R1 1min 31.069s
2. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1min 31.402s
3. Jonathan Rea GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 31.596s
4. Jakub Smrz CZE Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R 1min 31.600s
5. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 31.837s
6. Leon Haslam GBR Stiggy Motorsport Honda CBR1000RR 1min 32.112s
7. Carlos Checa ESP HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 32.537s
8. Regis Laconi FRA DFX Corse Ducati 1098R 1min 32.649s

9. Shinya Nakano JPN Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1min 31.843s
10. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 31.860s
11. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 1min 31.867s
12. Tom Sykes GBR Yamaha Italia YZF R1 1min 31.881s
13. Noriyuki Haga JPN Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 31.907s
14. Max Neukirchner GER Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 1min 31.916s
15. Shane Byrne GBR Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R 1min 32.119s
16. Broc Parkes AUS Kawasaki SRT ZX-0R 1min 32.719s

17. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 32.873s
19. Roberto Rolfo ITA Stiggy Motorsport Honda CBR1000RR 1min 32.997s
19. Ruben Xaus ESP BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 33.152s
20. Tommy Hill GBR HANNspree Althea Honda CBR1000RR 1min 33.363s

Following grid positions decided by Qualifying 2

21. Brendan Roberts AUS Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R 1min 33.588s
22. Makoto Tamada JPN Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R 1min 33.709s
23. Ayrton Badovini ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 34.174s
24. David Salom ESP Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 34.194s
25. Karl Muggeridge AUS Celani Suzuki GSX-R1000 1min 34.341s
26. Luca Scassa ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 34.390s
27. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA SCI Honda CBR1000RR 1mins 35.767s
28. Matteo Baiocco ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 36.363s

• Wido Rossen

Results Phillip Island

Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox) took his 1098R to the win in his first race for the factory Ducati squad in the opening round of the Hannspree FIM Superbike World Championship at Phillip Island, Australia. The Japanese rider got the better of German Max Neukirchner (Suzuki Alstare) on the final lap to score his 34th win. The second race saw a sensational maiden triumph for WSB rookie Ben Spies from Texas, who took his Yamaha R1 to the win over Haga. The Australian Round of the championship was watched by a record 69,300 spectators, 6% up on last year's figure.

Race 1 results:

1 41 Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 34'22.631 (170,677 kph)
2 76 Neukirchner M. (GER) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 0.032
3 71 Kagayama Y. (JPN) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 5.347
4 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 6.587
5 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 8.491
6 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 8.523
7 55 Laconi R. (FRA) Ducati 1098 RS 09 8.766
8 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 11.589
9 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 11.721
10 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 11.761
11 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 12.609
12 7 Checa C. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 19.096
13 44 Rolfo R. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 24.149
14 33 Hill T. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 27.416
15 56 Nakano S. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 28.173
16 19 Spies B. (USA) Yamaha YZF R1 28.235
17 24 Roberts B. (AUS) Ducati 1098R 37.348
18 100 Tamada M. (JPN) Kawasaki ZX 10R 37.401
19 111 Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 42.614
20 99 Scassa L. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'03.794
21 25 Salom D. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX 10R
RET 15 Baiocco M. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R
RET 23 Parkes B. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX 10R
RET 77 Iannuzzo V. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR
RET 67 Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R
RET 31 Muggeridge K. (AUS) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9
RET 9 Kiyonari R. (JPN) Honda CBR1000RR

Race 2 results:

19 Spies B. (USA) Yamaha YZF R1 34'20.457 (170,857 kph)
2 41 Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 1.286
3 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 4.213
4 55 Laconi R. (FRA) Ducati 1098 RS 09 4.490
5 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 6.045
6 76 Neukirchner M. (GER) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 9.947
7 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 10.174
8 71 Kagayama Y. (JPN) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 12.100
9 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 12.742
10 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 20.061
11 111 Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 24.854
12 56 Nakano S. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 25.192
13 7 Checa C. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 27.162
14 33 Hill T. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 29.737
15 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 30.036
16 44 Rolfo R. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 38.458
17 100 Tamada M. (JPN) Kawasaki ZX 10R 44.453
18 23 Parkes B. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX 10R 45.486
19 24 Roberts B. (AUS) Ducati 1098R 46.198
20 99 Scassa L. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 57.921
21 31 Muggeridge K. (AUS) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 57.989
22 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1'00.093
23 9 Kiyonari R. (JPN) Honda CBR1000RR 1'07.820
24 15 Baiocco M. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'21.224
25 25 Salom D. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'21.276
RET 67 Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R
RET 77 Iannuzzo V. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR

• Kieran Mcgeachy

I think the new qualifying caught a few riders out....:)

Yeh i think the old way was better gives them a better chance to get the bikes setup properly. in saying that i sat up to 5.30 am on sunday morning watching the races. Had a good liquer in me and fell as asleep with 3 laps remaining of the last race lol

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 319 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 449 39.2%