2009 Formula One Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
New stewarding arrangements in F1 in 2009

Source: www.formula1.com:

The FIA has announced an overhaul to the stewarding system at Formula One events for next season, including a new replay system designed to ensure faster decisions.

Race stewards fell under the media spotlight several times this season, most notably following Lewis Hamilton’s 25-second time penalty for cutting a chicane whilst battling Kimi Raikkonen at Spa.

The new measures should not only mean most decisions are made during rather than after the race, they should also make the whole process clearer to the public, with explanations and video evidence posted on the internet after the race.

In addition, there will be stricter requirements concerning the eligibility of stewards, with the FIA planning to invite a number of trainee stewards to races in order to build-up their experience.

Full FIA statement:
During the 2008 season a review took place of the stewarding arrangements in F1. The current panel of stewards consists of two international stewards and one national steward, all of whom must be eligible for the FIA’s super licence. For 2009, the following updates will be made:

- Any national steward participating who is officiating for the first time will be required to ‘observe’ a minimum of one Grand Prix prior to their event.
- At five Grands Prix in 2009, a number of trainee Stewards, nominated by their ASN and selected by the FIA, will be invited to attend.
- Before each Grand Prix, a short CV of each steward will be posted on the FIA website.
- With the benefit of a new replay system available to the stewards, all incidents will be investigated and appropriate action taken during the race, unless it is essential to seek further evidence afterwards.
- Following the race, a short written explanation of steward’s decisions will be published on the FIA website. This will supplement the formal steward’s decision which largely defines the breach of the rules.
- Where appropriate, additional film evidence that the public may not have seen but which was reviewed by the stewards, will be made available on both the FIA and FOM websites.

Note: No former driver is excluded from seeking their ASN national stewarding licence and then, as with all of the existing stewards, if they gain the necessary level of experience in stewarding events at a national, regional and international level the FIA can consider them for a steward’s super licence.

• Wido Rossen

Hmmm nice looking Lee.....
With Coulthard and Brundlle they have the expertise and with Lee the beauty and the other 2 i don`t know.....:dance:

• Matt Crouch

hmm I'm not sure this is confirmed. Was posted in September and I've heard lots of people saying it's not true since then.

The Revised '09 Calendar

The Chinese Grand Prix has been switched to the third race of the 2009 season following the latest amendment to the Formula One calendar.

The race in Shanghai has traditionally been held towards the end of a campaign since it made its debut in 2004.

But following a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris, a number of revisions have been made.

The season-opening Australian and Malaysian Grands Prix will both now start at 1700 local time to accommodate European television audiences.

With the race in China taking up the slot previously occupied by the Bahrain Grand Prix on April 19, the latter is put back a week to April 26.

Brazil now takes up China's date on October 18, with the season ending in Abu Dhabi on November 1, rather than the 15th of that month.

Despite recent talks between F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the Canadian government with regard to reinstating the Montreal race, it continues to remain absent from next year's calendar.

However, it is understood Ecclestone is to a hold a further meeting to discuss the financial issues that led to its initial omission.

With a four-week summer break after the race in Hungary on July 26, there is scope for a further amendment, but for now the calendar incorporates 17 races.

Revised calendar:
Mar 29: Australia
Apr 5: Malaysia
Apr 19: China

Apr 26: Bahrain
May 10: Spain
May 24: Monaco
Jun 7: Turkey
Jun 21: Great Britain
Jul 7: Germany
Jul 26: Hungary
Aug 23: Europe (Valencia)
Aug 30: Belgium
Sep 13: Italy
Sep 27: Singapore
Oct 4: Japan
Oct 18: Brazil
Nov 1: Abu Dhabi

Dhabi last eh? not brazil, wonder how that GP will be.

Boooh, Brasil rocks as season closer. For the last 2 years Brasil was the last GP and it rocked big time. But a brand new circuit as season closer can also be very interesting if it is the deciding GP. I also don't understand the removal of the Canadian GP. Montreal is always very interesting to watch. Probably the removal must have something to do with money....

Boooh, Brasil rocks as season closer. For the last 2 years Brasil was the last GP and it rocked big time. But a brand new circuit as season closer can also be very interesting if it is the deciding GP. I also don't understand the removal of the Canadian GP. Montreal is always very interesting to watch. Probably the removal must have something to do with money....

It allways does in F1, :censored:

:)

• Ian Landry

I also don't understand the removal of the Canadian GP. Montreal is always very interesting to watch. Probably the removal must have something to do with money....

Maurice,

The Canadian GP was the last race still being promoted by a private promoter. With only the ticketing as a source of revenue, Normand Legault (the promoter) owed Bernie upward of 10 M$, apparently.

Since the government don't want to get involved (yet), no Canadian GP for next year.

It's a good thing that I went to the race this year, perhaps it was the last chance!!

Ian

To come back on the Canadian question. What we totally seem to forget is that the Canadian GP had an aweful tarmac and was a danger to the drivers.

Read: Abu Dhadi has more money to offer:handshake:

• Chris Noble

Guess we will have to see then, but they CANNOT do without Martin Blundle!

I think its a shame they won't have the Front of show team on location, I disagree with it not adding anything to the coverage, on the contrary I think it adds alot, a sense of atmosphere that gives you the feeling of actually being at the event. Cutting in from the studio will only detach the viewer from the experience. I hope the beeb don't drop the ball on this, they always used to be very good. Will just have to wait and see, I will be surprised if they nail their coverage first time, obviously its quite a complex event to cover, but I usually prefer sports coverage on the beeb so fingers crossed they don't let us down.

They can't leave its all just them trying to broker a bigger share of the cash, which is substantial I might add, don't be fooled. If they do leave then I'll eat my G25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back