2009 Formula One Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wido Rossen

• Wido Rossen

Force India with Mclaren engine in 2009

Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are in advanced talks with Force India about an engine supply and technical cooperation deal for next year, autosport.com has learned.

Although Force India have a customer engine contract with Ferrari for 2009, it is understood that they are reevaluating their engine situation because of the raft of regulation changes that are being made for next season.

Sources have revealed that discussions have opened with Mercedes-Benz and McLaren about a deal which could eventually expand beyond just a simple customer engine relationship.

As well as possible technical cooperation on the car itself, there are also suggestions that part of the deal could also include Force India running Briton Paul di Resta, who could be groomed for a future switch to McLaren.

A McLaren spokesman confirmed to autosport.com that talks with Force India were ongoing, but insisted that nothing had been agreed.

"McLaren and Mercedes-Benz are convinced that the independent teams are of vital importance for F1 - in fact they are the bedrock on which Grand Prix racing has been built," said the spokesman.

"Therefore, should we be in a position to cooperate with an independent team and should such a cooperation make economic sense, we would be prepared to do so. Nothing has been decided yet, but we are engaged in various discussions and will inform the media of their outcome as soon as we are able to do so.

"We are also in discussions with, and seeking the guidance of, FIA president Max Mosley in connection with the matter."

Force India team principal Colin Kolles would not comment on the state of the discussions with Mercedes-Benz and McLaren. When asked in Japan about his team's engine situation for 2009, he said: "All I can say is we will have an engine next year."

the deal could also include Force India running Briton Paul di Resta

:D

won f3 euro after hamilton. hes a scot which should be a plus for the outgoing culthards fans.

either way anything that might help maclaren beat ferrari is all good to me

• Chris Noble

Yes he is and in 2nd place in the DTM championship.

2 points ahead of Timo Schider.

Really hope Paul can finish ahead of of Timo or win the race to get the title at Hockenhiem!

However at the season opener (Hockenhiem) he scored no points :( hopefully a turn around for the final race!)

He was really ace in the wet at Le Man a couple of weeks back.

Sounds good. look at torro rosso with the ferrari engine! Shame Honda didn't stick with super aguri though.

so Toytoas in a Williams, Ferraris in Torro Rosso, Renaults in Red Bull... Possible Merc in Force India, just need honda and BMW to unleash their engines (especially that BMW power!) and we can get a full grid of 24 again! I'm off to do a wee dance.

It was already a topic before, that MAgny Cours is too far in the middle of nowhere, and for financial reason could be moved to a citiy race for French GP. Well, at the end everything is about business and money.

Magny-Cours, although a good technical circuit to drive, always provides poor racing anyway, and I for one, will not miss it too much.

Like Attila says, access has been a big issue before now anyway. Another street track though? Don't get me wrong, I love street tracks, but haven't we got enough of them? This isn't Indycars circa 1994.

could always skip france and have a second uk one :D

nock a street circuit up in london. how class would that be round the column, over the bridge, over Brown oops dreaming aloud again ;)

• Andrew Evans

bring back the nords... everyone knows it makes sense :)

• Wido Rossen

No way ,

Let them drive at Zandvoort, bring back the old day`s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back