2009 Formula One Belgian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they don´t add gravel traps again (on some runoffs, as the onbe in La Source) all the field will use the Spa runoff as the main circuit next year...

Raikkonen should receive a penalyt, and Foce India should claim for it.

What they could do with the run off area outside of La Source is extend the exit kerb all the way down to the grass. That way you couldn't run back to the track on full throttle as the rear edge of the kerb would cause damage when rejoining. Or like someone said put speed humps on it, safe but not exploitable.

We're back at that old chestnut, steward decision consistency, Kimi should have at least been investigated but nothing again. As with Hungary, Kimi pulls a similar move that someone else received a penalty for and it isn't even investigated, let alone punished.

Was glad to see the Webber pitlane incident punished but they need to investigate/punish all incidents or it just doesn't seem fair and the Ferrari bias conspiracy theory continues.

Well, I see eyour points guys. Penalty should be given during the race and never after... but it was clearly a mistake from the stewards and Force India for not claim against that maneouver. There was very interesting for them if Raikkonen gets penalized.

No one should overtake using "non circuit surfaces" so as Richard says, something should be added in all the tarmac run offs, something to damage the car in the case you use the runoff to speed up and rejoin in a better position, as gravel or high Kerbs.

In the particular case of La Source, I can understand there is some tarmac in the same direction the start finish line straight comes, outside of La Source corner, because maybe someone can miss the breaking point... but why they added tarmac in the exterior part of the downhill to Eaur Rouge??? Can´t see the point on it.

I think it's just the inconsistency that has everyone confused.
The Hamilton thing last year.
The Kimi thing this year.

You could even argue that Brawn should be banned from the next race because they allowed Barrichello to circulate with an unsafe car.
If it's good enough for Renault..?

They really have to get their rules worked out & then stick to them.

The FIA would have a field day with Nascar.

You could even argue that Brawn should be banned from the next race because they allowed Barrichello to circulate with an unsafe car.
If it's good enough for Renault..?

Different situations, Brawn didn't know the spring was going to come off, Renault let the car go knowing the wheel was not even fitted properly and never even informed Alonso ( think he thought he had a puncture )

Yes I'm referring to the smoke.
I wouldn't like to be Rosberg following that smoking Brawn through Eau Rouge.
I've got nothing against Brawn or Barrichello.
I do have a problem with the inconsistency of the rules.

• Jon Marjanen

I don't see why Kimi should have been given a penalty. What did he do wrong? He took the same line last year, and nobody even talked about it. Also Hamilton took the same line in 2007 and there was never any talk that he should have been given a penalty.

So why should Kimi get a penalty for something that NOBODY has EVER received a penalty before? Button and Badoer also took the same line as Kimi, and Sutil overtook Badoer using the run off area at Pouhon, why isn't anyone here demanding a penalty for them too?

Hamilton received a penalty last year for something that was completely different, the two can't even be compared. He cut a chicane, he reduced the lenght of the lap. Going wide at La Source just adds meters to your lap.

This whole FIA/Ferrari conspiracy is getting ridiculous. If anyone needs to be consistent, it's the people who want a penalty for a Ferrari driver but look the other way when a McLaren driver does the same thing. And then accuse the FIA of being biased when a Ferrari driver doesn't receive a penalty for a completely normal move.

anyone who purposefully chose to run around the outside should get a penalty as its off the track and (here's the clincher) gained an advantage.

there are two options imo.

1 - move the white line and curb allowing them all to use it (hence the penalty would not be required and we all know where we stand)

2 - pop something in there to discourage people from using it.

we should just look at advantage in racing terms not corner cutting etc...

this imo is not a ferrari witch hunt just spa need to make sure the loop hole thats being exploited by some drivers at this corner gets closed and in a safe fashion.

• Jon Marjanen

Well, it's not against the rules therefore nobody has ever received a penalty for it. They are all allowed to go there, but they don't because it's not faster. It's just dirty and the only advantage you get is extra room to avoid a collision. It's not a case of some drivers being allowed to go there and others getting a penalty for doing it. Nobody has ever received a penalty for going wide there. Even David Coulthard said there's no advantage from there. There's a reason why nobody in the F1 world has even talked about it and that reason is because it's no big deal. Drivers do it all the time.

Wether it should be allowed or not is a matter of opinion but so far it has been allowed and so there shouldn't be any penalty. If it ever becomes against the rules, then I'll agree with you, there should be a penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back